Larryboy

Vegtan quality

Do you think the quality of vegtan has declined in the last two years? I like 10 oz to work with. Beginner and can’t afford Hermann Oak for practice. I have tried import from different sources. Some decent and others pure torture to carve. So, across the board in general regardless of source, how about quality? Thank you for your replies.

I doubt the quality has changed but the price probably has; you might be getting a grade advertised as 2 that may previously have been 3.  What you used to pay for grade 1 is probably what you pay for grade 2 and 3 now.

In order for manufacturers and suppliers to maintain their customer base and keep up their margins I wouldn't be surprised if lower quality sides were selling for the same or higher prices that were previously charged for higher quality sides.  Manufacturers often lower the quality of what they are producing/selling so they don't price themselves out of the market.  It's probably a double edged sword as some customers are put off by the lower quality but I'm guessing the manufacturers/sellers have done their homework and know it is to their benefit to lower the quality and keep the price the same.

my opine is that the best quality goes to the best contract customers. and with the shortage of good hides the craftsmen are stuck with what's left over. simple as that.

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

my opine is that the best quality goes to the best contract customers. and with the shortage of good hides the craftsmen are stuck with what's left over. simple as that.

I haven't found that to be the case with the vendors I use and if I was buying from a vendor that I thought was doing that I wouldn't buy any more leather from them.

1 hour ago, sbrownn said:

I haven't found that to be the case with the vendors I use and if I was buying from a vendor that I thought was doing that I wouldn't buy any more leather from them.

the big contracts may get the best from the tanneries before the vendors get it, car companies for example. and yes it happens every day with all products. They are called called contracts for a reason they guarantee the products.

4 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

the big contracts may get the best from the tanneries before the vendors get it, car companies for example. and yes it happens every day with all products. They are called called contracts for a reason they guarantee the products.

That is probably the case but I haven't been a bit dissatisfied with the quality of the sides I get or the price I am paying for them.