zuludog

A new knife

Thought you might like to see this ...... as if I don't have enough already, but I'm tempted

https://bladepoint.eu/collections/bladepoint-knife-blades/products/bladepoint-ghoul

It is being sold in Britain by http://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk

Edited by zuludog

interesting design indeed I may have to make one lol.

It's different , not sure I could get the hang of it .

9 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

My first thought was "an interesting shape, looks quite useful", my second thought was "it wouldn't be hard to make".:lol:

9 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

how much to make me one?  i would fashion a stacked leather handle like a kabar...

goober, that's a full-tang design, you can't fit a stacked leather handle to it, as it's shown.

Edited by dikman

DIKMAN - you took the words out of my keyboard!

That's a full tang blade; you would fit scales to each side. I think it would look good with pale wood like yew, hawthorn, cherry.

Search YouTube for 'full tang knife handles' and you'll see the sort of thing

i was more interested in the blade and overall size.  I guess it wouldnt be humanly possible to make one with a slim tang to fit a stacked leather handle... good thing i didnt ask you fellas to make me one - seems like that would have been a chore.

You could, sort-of, do a stacked leather grip. Layers of different coloured leather laid on top of each other either side of the tang. Loads of glue and/or resin. Then carve the grip back and the coloured leather layers will show as laminations like ply woods

A look like WW1 propellers

IMG_0231.jpg

Edited by fredk

12 hours ago, goober said:

i was more interested in the blade and overall size.  I guess it wouldnt be humanly possible to make one with a slim tang to fit a stacked leather handle... good thing i didnt ask you fellas to make me one - seems like that would have been a chore.

i can make that same blade shape with any tang you want. Message me. 

12 hours ago, zuludog said:

DIKMAN - you took the words out of my keyboard!

That's a full tang blade; you would fit scales to each side. I think it would look good with pale wood like yew, hawthorn, cherry.

Search YouTube for 'full tang knife handles' and you'll see the sort of thing

just made some stabilized sage brush scales lol would look great. 

13 hours ago, dikman said:

My first thought was "an interesting shape, looks quite useful", my second thought was "it wouldn't be hard to make".:lol:

very easy design lol kinda like the one i made a while back and its my favorite. 

skive5.JPG

Only real difference (besides yours being much prettier!) is the sweeping curve of the blade.

20 hours ago, dikman said:

Only real difference (besides yours being much prettier!) is the sweeping curve of the blade.

I dont know if the curved edge would be better or not i know mine will cut saddle in one pass coming or going lol and i do know that purdy polish helps.

Did you look close at what 30 bucks buys you? basically about a 10 to 20 minute grind to about 400 grit  and a quick heat treatment. didn't even polish off the carbon black. It would take some work to get one of those in respectable condition imo.

I have a couple of inexpensive knives somewhere around here made from 80Crv2 and I just don't like them.  There's a sort of granularity/striation/something to the bevel that just won't go away.  It runs perpendicular to the edge on both knives.

I'd like to try the design, but a different steel.

17 hours ago, AlZilla said:

I have a couple of inexpensive knives somewhere around here made from 80Crv2 and I just don't like them.  There's a sort of granularity/striation/something to the bevel that just won't go away.  It runs perpendicular to the edge on both knives.

I'd like to try the design, but a different steel.

probably bad heat treatment. I make most of my stuff from 1095 its a good knife steel.

On 8/28/2022 at 7:31 AM, chuck123wapati said:

very easy design lol kinda like the one i made a while back and its my favorite. 

skive5.JPG

A truly gorgeous knife.  Are the grooves on top of the blade there to provide a slip-free surface for your forefinger while cutting?  Or is it merely decoration?  I cant stop looking at the bolsters, they are very unique.  

Just now, Tugadude said:

A truly gorgeous knife.  Are the grooves on top of the blade there to provide a slip-free surface for your forefinger while cutting?  Or is it merely decoration?  I cant stop looking at the bolsters, they are very unique.  

Thanks Tug they are just for pretty i did them mainly for the practice and what the heck if your gonna make your self a knife then why not lol. The bolsters are Elk antler.

29 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Thanks Tug they are just for pretty i did them mainly for the practice and what the heck if your gonna make your self a knife then why not lol. The bolsters are Elk antler.

Are the brass accents considered part of the handle?  They don't really serve as guards to prevent the fingers from slipping forward from the way it looks.  They appear to be brass.  The finish on them is immaculate.

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

Are the brass accents considered part of the handle?  They don't really serve as guards to prevent the fingers from slipping forward from the way it looks.  They appear to be brass.  The finish on them is immaculate.

the brass is about half guard and half look's lol it does provide a comfortable grip in that corner for the finger while not getting in the way of cutting. i try to make things artistically pleasing as possible.

skive4.JPG

I made a few of these for some folks and tested them a bit, my thoughts are that it is a very good blade design and makes for a really nice push knife. With a handle it is still Small and comfortable to use. It would rock with thinner leathers especially. 

7 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I made a few of these for some folks and tested them a bit, my thoughts are that it is a very good blade design and makes for a really nice push knife. With a handle it is still Small and comfortable to use. It would rock with thinner leathers especially. 

ghoul1.JPG

30 minutes ago, dikman said:

You couldn't resist making one, could you?:lol: Looks good, interesting bolster design.

Heck no and I actually made three so far two are being tested as we speak. They look a lot shinier in person too. 

On 9/22/2022 at 8:45 AM, chuck123wapati said:

Yeah, Chuck made this one for me and I love it!  It cuts good pushing or pulling and holds an edge pretty well.  If it starts getting a little difficult to cut, strop it a little.  No worries.  Thanks Chuck!  Sorry for the slow review.  Been trying to wear it out!

Jim

IMG_0383.jpg