Stone14

Tools for life

What brands do you have or recommend for a buy once keep forever quality of tool?

I'm not looking for the most expensive, or £$200 per tool. Id just prefer to buy decent steel than buy cheap throw away tools, and I'm not sure of all the brands. 

Atm I'm looking into Japanese skiving knives but also want suggestions for others tools to collect.

What you've asked is a piece of string question, but here's a start --

I use a Japanese Leather Knife, but they're not so easy to find in Britain now that Etsy UK have stopped selling knives, but they still sell other leatherwork tools; Search accordingly, I think they sell Palosanto and Vergez - Blanchard, which are good makes

You could do worse than look at  https://www.georgebarnsleyandsons.co.uk   They have loads of tools for leatherwork, and they're Made in Sheffield - 'nuff said?

Tools for life? I'm using a Stanley knife that was my fathers, and I know that dates at least from the 1960s; well the handle does, if not the blades. Get one anyway as you'll have enough things to buy when you start leatherwork, and a Stanley knife is as good as any to start with. Search secondhand stalls and see if you can find the model 199A handle; it's no longer made, but I think it's more comfortable to hold than the current types

Have a look at YT videos by JH Leather, Ian Atkinson/Leodis Leather, Nigel Armitage, Leathercraft Masterclass, they tend to use good quality tools

Have a look at videos of making items you'd like to, perhaps wallets, belts, knife sheaths, and others, and you'll see what other people use. Also videos on beginners tools for leatherwork, there are several videos. For all of these videos you'll see that the tools chosen are similar, but slightly different, reflecting the preferences of each person

https://www.metropolitanleather.com  sell Osborne tools, which are good. I have tried a few makes of awl blades, but have settled on Osborne

You do need a certain number of tools to start with, but don't splurge a load of cash getting lots & lots of tools at first. Just get the minimum, then add more as you go along, and as you gain experience you'll be able to make a better choice yourself, and you'll probably also get to hear the pros & cons of various makes

Edited by zuludog

Have a look at this Thread, I've listed several UK suppliers, so you can see the sorts of things available

Yes, I hear that Sinabroks tools are good. There are other top quality makers of stitching chisels, pricking irons, and other tools, such as KS Blades, Doldokki, Crimson Hides, and Amy Roke, but they are all expensive

On the other hand, I've been using Craftool & Craftool Pro stitching chisels for over 10 years and they're still in good condition; find them at Identity Leathercraft

Whichever you choose, you shouldn't hit chisels, irons, & punches with a steel hammer, instead use a soft hammer or mallet, such as hide or nylon. A nylon maul is fairly standard for leatherwork but I prefer a mallet, and there's only one way for you to decide

John James needles are good, get JJ Saddler's Harness Needles L3912 size 002 and 004 from Artisan Leather. For any thicker thread than 0,6mm I use Stitching Needles SKU 1227 from Identity Leathercraft

There are various makes of thread on the market, and most leatherworkers try a few before they settle on what they like. But you've got to start somewhere, so try these -

Waxed Nylon Thread SKU 1195 from Identity Leathercraft; I think it's underrated and a small roll is cheap enough to try

Ritza 25, aka Tiger Thread is very popular but usually you can only buy full rolls, which makes it expensive to buy into. I think Artisan Leather's own brand of waxed braided thread is just as good, and reasonably priced. They also sell Yue Fung thread, which is excellent

All these threads are synthetic. Linen is becoming less popular, but some people prefer the way it feels/handles, and that it is natural. The French brand Fil au Chinois is the market leader, but there are others. Try linen to see how it compares, from any of the suppliers I've listed. Don't buy unbranded linen thread from Amazon; some is OK, some isn't, and you only find out the hard way. 

You'll need dyes & edge finishes; there are loads of videos about leather edge finishing

Tokonole is good; Fiebings Edge Kote and their oil/spirit/pro dyes are easy to find and as good as any

Here's a suggestion - do your Searching, Surfing, and shopping around; make a short list of items you fancy, then come back to us for comments & opinions 

Edited by zuludog

On 8/28/2022 at 5:34 AM, Nikos69 said:

I am very impressed with Sinabroks punches. Precisely made and very durable. 

Yeah ive watched all of Nigeria Armitage pricking iron reviews and sinabroks seems to be my favourite so far qhen looking closely at the stitching.

On 8/28/2022 at 2:53 AM, zuludog said:

Ritza 25, aka Tiger Thread is very popular but usually you can only buy full rolls, which makes it expensive to buy into.

You can buy Tiger Thread on small spools.

SpoolColorsTigerThreadpolyesterbraidedleathersewingstichingjuliuskochdenmarkgermanyforsalerockymountainleathersupplySapphireBluecopy_05a221fa-0b11-469c-ac6f-8b412a845c75_150x@2x.jpg?v=1648738739