AlZilla

Rehabbing a 111w155

I'm a new leather crafter and have been given an old Singer 111W155, which will require a lot of elbow grease and love.  It appears to be mostly complete, if not all there and everything seems to turn and spin by hand.  I could use some guidance as I start going through it.

What's obvious on initial inspection:

• The wiring needs to be reworked
  • The foot control is hung up and rusty
  • Belts are going to be an issue
  • No bobbin winder
  • Surface rust on various parts of the machine
  • Serial Number is obliterated

I've downloaded manuals, started looking at Youtube videos and I'm reading through posts here of previous newbie owners.

The table has a motor attached and what appears to be a spare older motor/clutch setup. The table top will need to be replaced but it's a homebrew setup anyway.

My only request at the moment would be can someone give me a general idea of what to look at first, sort of an order of operations to get started?

I've read enough to know that the usual recommendation is to slow these things down with a servo motor and I plan on doing that, once it all appears to be in order.

Thank you for any assistance forthcoming!

noname(64).jpeg

noname(65).jpeg

noname(66).jpeg

noname(67).jpeg

noname(68).jpeg

Edited by AlZilla
aded info

I would really like to play with this setup. I would keep the clutch add a smaller pulley to motor, and add a hinge to the back of the motor.  You may be able to use one belt to change speeds on the clutch which has 3 different diameters. I would add a smaller pulley to motor The top looks like plywood refinish with veneer or thin plywood.  The machine looks pretty good.  I would spray all moving parts with PB Blaster or similar. Do this multiple times and do not blow out with air ( just sends dirt into moving parts, some with little clearance) Now is the time to test for sewing. If it sews good leave it alone. If not y-tube is your friend, like Uwe Grosse, Wiz, and Cowboy Bob. Of course use this site also. Do not change the toothbelt just yet. Run the machine and see how easy and smooth it turns.  An new belt may be a little stiff and may not show other issues. Adding a larger pulley at the handwheel will give you even more control and you can reduce tension on the drive belt.

Finally this machine has high lift (1/2") and long stitch. If all goes well and you like it you may want to convert to a larger bobbin.       Good Luck

49 minutes ago, ljk said:

I would really like to play with this setup. I would keep the clutch add a smaller pulley to motor, and add a hinge to the back of the motor.  You may be able to use one belt to change speeds on the clutch which has 3 different diameters. I would add a smaller pulley to motor The top looks like plywood refinish with veneer or thin plywood.  The machine looks pretty good.  I would spray all moving parts with PB Blaster or similar. Do this multiple times and do not blow out with air ( just sends dirt into moving parts, some with little clearance) Now is the time to test for sewing. If it sews good leave it alone. If not y-tube is your friend, like Uwe Grosse, Wiz, and Cowboy Bob. Of course use this site also. Do not change the toothbelt just yet. Run the machine and see how easy and smooth it turns.  An new belt may be a little stiff and may not show other issues. Adding a larger pulley at the handwheel will give you even more control and you can reduce tension on the drive belt.

Finally this machine has high lift (1/2") and long stitch. If all goes well and you like it you may want to convert to a larger bobbin.       Good Luck

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I've been doing a surface clean and it looks not too bad. I see what you're saying about just adding the pulley. Somewhere I had read that the clutch motors can be grabby but I suppose I should see for myself.

Upon getting the front cleaned up, I see that it's a 153 (not 155) so I apparently lose a little lift.  But for my present purposes, the extra 1/8" matters not.

I'll get after the internals next and see what's going on with the sticking foot control.  This may be easier then I anticipated

I'm pretty excited...

noname(75).jpeg

In the third photo the bed looked pretty bad, it's hard to believe how well it cleaned up. Overall it appears to be in good condition. I once bought a similar machine with the same type of motor/clutch setup, and while it was interesting, from a mechanical perspective, I didn't mess around with it, I went straight to a servo and (home-made) speed reducer.

Just for your info.  These line-shaft clutches usually have a simple 3/8" leather belt as a clutch material. just a spot of glue holds them. We all  are thinking about that 75lb. 3450rpm or 1725rpm pc. of garbage about 2 out of 10 have any control.  However my wife loves her 206rb with that style clutch but she started working in the garment factory over 50 years ago.

10 hours ago, ljk said:

Just for your info.  These line-shaft clutches usually have a simple 3/8" leather belt as a clutch material. just a spot of glue holds them. We all  are thinking about that 75lb. 3450rpm or 1725rpm pc. of garbage about 2 out of 10 have any control.  However my wife loves her 206rb with that style clutch but she started working in the garment factory over 50 years ago.

"Line shaft clutch". Now I at least know what it's called .. :P

It wouldn't move yesterday but an overnight soak in penetrating oil has it moving this morning.  I need to find a belt since the existing one doesn't look long for this world.

I'm going to keep at it today, getting the internals cleaned out and oiled so I can at least see it spin under it's own power, once I find a belt.

The only parts that seem to be missing so far are whatever connects the knee lift to the arm on the back of the machine.

Thanks!

Edited by AlZilla