Hi All.

Looking into getting a Juki 1341 clone (Global WF 1575) for binding.

Was looking on KHSew and they have a "Swing Away Binding Bracket" 1st image & "Moving Arm" 2nd image.

Do I have to have the "Moving Arm" in order for it to work as a syncronised binder? Or will the "Binding Bracket" also be syncronised?

Thanks

KG1341_00-800x800.thumb.jpg.49eee7277d8010f6ab9422d1bcf1a5b2.jpgKHB869_00-800x800.thumb.jpg.d31970c4b372a70b244cab95c04e6fe2.jpg

7 hours ago, aslfkjaslfkjasflkj said:

Was looking on KHSew and they have a "Swing Away Binding Bracket" 1st image & "Moving Arm" 2nd image.

Do I have to have the "Moving Arm" in order for it to work as a syncronised binder? Or will the "Binding Bracket" also be syncronised?

Whether either of those brackets are going to fit and work properly will depend on whether the Global WF 1575 is a clone of the Juki LS-1341 or the older Juki LS 341 or if it is a closer cousin to the Juki LS 1342.

The bracket in the second sketch configures so the machines feed dog is the driver for synchronizing. To get that bracket to work the machine may also require a new feed dog as well as other parts. I would check with the dealer of the Global WF 1575 and see if the bracket, which is made for the Juki LS 1341, would fit and if so what else would be required like the feed dog, needle plate etc.

My take on this type of binding setup is that:

i) they use the much more expense 90 degree binder/folder attachments rather then those typically used on flatbed machines.

ii) the setup may not provide as quick access for bobbin changes,

ii) may have to change parts (feed dog, needle plate) back and forth when you don't want to use it as a binding machine

iii) it is also going to be expensive.

There are other less expensive alternatives that may provide similar results using the flatbed binder / folder attachments. I use the same binder attachments (1/2" to 2" single and double fold) on my clone of the Juki LS 1341 that I use on my other flatbed machines without having to make any changes to the feed dog, presser foot or needle plate. That way I don't have to have a dedicated and more expensive set of binding / folding attachments for the cylinder bed then the flatbeds.

With unison feed machines I do question whether for most needs a synchronized binding / folding setup offers better results over a non synchronized setup to justify the cost difference????? Others with experience using both systems and styles of binding / folding attachments would be better able to answer that.

kgg

Experience in therms of fixed or synchronized binder setups are different.

I cannot speak for fixed binder position brackets but (1st picture) but I´m using a synchronized binder machine. And the bracket you show in the 2nd picture is governed by the special feed dog in which is a hole and a small "piston" (see red arrow) on the end of the extended left arm of the binder bracket goes into the hole. Thats the how it is governed. It has a spring loaded pivot point on the right and it be lifted and swing aside to easy access the bobbin / hook.

The advantage of a synchronized binder is that you can bind smaller radius items cause the needle has always the same and very short  distance to the binder. So it depends on what items you are binding but the synchronized binder is always (IMO) an advantage. Not saying other binders will not work. At the end the decision is your which you prefer and what items you are going to bind. But the synchronized version is IMO more flexible.

My old and reliable Singer 108w20 has a synchronized binder and I love it.

Having the right bracket for the job is one thing . The far more interesting "game" is finding the right binder for the binding material you wan to use! This can drive you nuts cause the binder and the binding material have to play together very well and you do not want much friction between binder and binding material. This is critical especially when using leather tape for binding.

You find a lot of information on the binder topic here in the forum - do a quick google search:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=binder+site%3Aleatherworker.net%2Fforum%2F

The information do not cover the Juki 1341 / Global WF 1575 in particular but the general information here are quite useful.

If it was me I would buy the synchronized version but it will require a special feed dog and needle plate and a matching foot set.

KHB869_00-800x800.jpg.fe52323bf5094d9269d561908c808429.jpg

EDIT:

text copied here: https://www.chholderby.com/industrial-binders/

I can´t explain the advantages of a synchronized binder any better. ;)

Synchronized Feed Binders

Synchronized Binder Feed Machines are equipped with a special mechanism that oscillates the binder with the movement of the feed dog and the walking (front) presser foot.

The binder is mounted very closely to the front presser foot and the needle, and it’s movement is “synchronized” perfectly throughout the sewing cycle.

Since the needle is so close to the binder, the binding is sew down immediately after it leaves the mouth of the binder.

This allows the machine to easily sew around a very small radius and prevents the binding from “dropping off” the work, which is a frequent problem in binding operations where a standard ( non synchronized ) binder is used.

EDIT II:

I once owned a Pfaff 345 with a very similar setup as for the Global WF 1575.

Maybe some useful general information too - especially the video - see below thread.

EDIT III:

Since you are in the UK - maybe it´s worth checking with College Sewing - they have a wide range of binders. Not sure if they have the brackets but they have KH sewing equipment in general and they also sell JUKI´s

Edited by Constabulary

Thank you both for your replies.

5 hours ago, kgg said:

Whether either of those brackets are going to fit and work properly will depend on whether the Global WF 1575 is a clone of the Juki LS-1341 or the older Juki LS 341 or if it is a closer cousin to the Juki LS 1342.

According the the KH Sew product page it should fit the Juki LS 1341. Also I am 99% certain the Global WF 1575 is a clone of the Juki LS 1341, I will however double check with the dealer.

I wanted a Juki LS 1341 originally however my local dealer informed me that it is no longer produced and they new model is "LS2 342S / SC922BN / CP180C" which ~ £5300 dependent on the Euro, hence why I'm going with the global.

5 hours ago, kgg said:

may have to change parts (feed dog, needle plate) back and forth when you don't want to use it as a binding machine

4 hours ago, Constabulary said:

If it was me I would buy the synchronized version but it will require a special feed dog and needle plate and a matching foot set.

KH Sew does sell a matching feed dog and needle plate for both the brackets I listed in the OP so that shouldn't be a problem. Also the Global WF 1575 comes in a binder model. My plan was to order the WF 1575 default machine but with the binder version's parts, e.g feed dog, needle plate etc. However I will have to check if the KH parts will work and vice versa.

by the special feed dog in which is a hole and a small "piston" (see red arrow) on the end of the extended left arm of the binder bracket goes into the hole. Thats the how it is governed. It has a spring loaded pivot point on the right and it be lifted and swing aside to easy access the bobbin / hook.

To double check, on any bracket if I want it to be syncronised it has to have the "piston" which fits in the feed dog?

Since you are in the UK - maybe it´s worth checking with College Sewing - they have a wide range of binders. Not sure if they have the brackets but they have KH sewing equipment in general and they also sell JUKI´s

Have used College before and had no issues. Have seen there binders but from memory they weren't any right angle ones, don't quote me though. Did do a quick look for KH parts but couldn't see any binder-esqe parts though.

Last off, regarding the actual binder I found a place called RG Attachments which appears to make binders to your specs, similar to Atlanta & Tennessee I'd imagine. I'd never seen any custom attachment maker in the UK until stumbling across them. Maybe other UK people know of some more?

Kind Regards

P.S I'm struggling to make an account on KH Sew , says I need to press the capthca but I cant see one on the page? Anyone able to enlighten me?

Edited by aslfkjaslfkjasflkj