RockyAussie

No hands sewing on a Cowboy Cb4500 (ALMOST)

If you want to make your belt stitching quicker and easier on a CB 4500 Cowboy machine then check out this video I just made. With the Cowboy standard drop down guide I changed it over to a flat bar guide which ALMOST allows hands free sewing. This is done with a size 27 LR needle in it at the moment and I think with a smaller needle the test would have worked out better still.  The video -

Brian;

Try the hands free again with a tri point or diamond point needle.

OK . . . now where do you get that whatchamacallit . . . ???

Looks like a handy tool.

May God bless,

Dwight

5 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Brian;

Try the hands free again with a tri point or diamond point needle.

Will do. I am guessing that they would behave way better at staying against the guide but I do tend to like the slanted stitch more myself. Did you get your shims alright yet?

2 hours ago, Dwight said:

OK . . . now where do you get that whatchamacallit . . . ???

Looks like a handy tool.

May God bless,

Dwight

Not sure if Bob over there has these drop down guides but if so ...all I did there is drill out a bit of 10mm (3/8") thick aluminium bar and drilled it out to take the same bolt that holds the roller normally. I have been modifying a lot of these guides to fit up better onto the 441 clones so that they don't need to have the extended lever for the foot lifting and so on. Note that some of the older machines don't have the 2 holes in the back for bolting the drop guide straight on but I can give you the location positions if you want to drill and tap them. The bolts that come with them are 6mm standard threads. Just remembered...I made this pdf file which shows the drilling and tapping instructions -   Cowboy CB4500 Drilling and tapping instructions for the drop down guide.pdf

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

Will do. I am guessing that they would behave way better at staying against the guide but I do tend to like the slanted stitch more myself. Did you get your shims alright yet?

Yes, I got them. Thank you very much!

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

Not sure if Bob over there has these drop down guides

Yes he does. He installed one on my CB4500.

11 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Yes he does. He installed one on my CB4500.

Who is the Bob who has these things ??

Thanks, may God bless,

Dwight

1 hour ago, Dwight said:

Who is the Bob who has these things ??

Thanks, may God bless,

Dwight

LOL! We are referring to Bob Kovar Sr., owner of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. He is a long time contributing and supporting member of Leatherworker.net and goes as @CowboyBob.

5 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

LOL! We are referring to Bob Kovar Sr., owner of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. He is a long time contributing and supporting member of Leatherworker.net and goes as @CowboyBob.

Betcha cannot guess who helped me load my Cowboy onto my trailer there in Toledo . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight