Patrick1

Narrow feed dog FLAT Plate for Cowboy CB4500 and Cobra 4

I'm doing a small run of Narrow feed dog flat plates for Cowboy CB4500 and Cobra class 3 and 4. Material is 304 stainless. $120.00 ea.

Flat Plate.jpg

I’m still waiting on a sale so I can buy from you, 

How much are these flat plates and what’s the width of slot in needle plate width of feed dog?

The slot is .221 wide and can be purchase at https://heprecision.com/ price is stainless $70.00 for stainless and $55.00 black oxide finish plus shipping

Edited by Patrick1
price

@Patrick1 I'm interested in your narrow needle plate and feed dog systems. My machine is a TechSew 5100, which I believe is comparable to the Cowboy 4500 / Cobra Class 4. I see at your website that you have two types -- Xtreme narrow and Standard narrow. 

1) Can you help me understand when someone would use standard narrow vs xtreme narrow? My intuition is to go with the xtreme narrow, but is there any advantage to having more open space around the needle? I make bags and sometimes when I try to stitch close to the edge, the leather folds down into the open area around the needle, so that's why I'm looking at narrow needle plates in the first place.

2) I see that your needle plates that come with the feed dogs are flat, not rounded (aside from the holster plate which I'm not interested in right now) -- is the flat plate functionally different than a rounded plate? Can you help me understand why someone would use a flat plate vs the rounded plate? I see that you also make an xtreme narrow rounded plate, but it has to be used with the xtreme narrow feed dogs. What's the use case for that rounded plate?

3) What are pros/cons to stainless steel over black oxide finish (aside from price)?

4) What's the slot size in the xtreme narrow and standard narrow plates?

Thank you for any info you can share! I'm posting here rather than emailing your directly in case others have similar questions.

Edited by SewMuchToLearn

The Xtreme narrow eliminates 1/6 in slot width and the slot in the feed dog is also smaller but can take a 200/25 needle and 277 thread. Doesn't sound like much but it is when sewing thin leather. I use the Xtreme narrow for everything up to a 277 thread and have no issues with it sewing the thick stuff. The feed dogs have the same radius as the round plates. A lot people prefer the flat plates as I do. The round plate gives you more clearance than a flat plate and conforms to the idea of a cylinder machine. I have had a few customers that wanted the round plate with the Xtreme narrow plate so I made them. I started making flat plates for the standard narrow feed dog because no on makes them and people were asking for them. I'm phasing out the black oxide finish because people prefer the stainless and actually more expensive for me to produce when I figure the time it takes to add the finish. If you look at the internals of your machine the majority of the parts are black oxide finish, it prevents corrosion. The slot size with the Xtreme narrow is .160 of an inch and .221 on my narrow plates. 

6 hours ago, Patrick1 said:

The Xtreme narrow eliminates 1/6 in slot width and the slot in the feed dog is also smaller but can take a 200/25 needle and 277 thread. Doesn't sound like much but it is when sewing thin leather. I use the Xtreme narrow for everything up to a 277 thread and have no issues with it sewing the thick stuff. The feed dogs have the same radius as the round plates. A lot people prefer the flat plates as I do. The round plate gives you more clearance than a flat plate and conforms to the idea of a cylinder machine. I have had a few customers that wanted the round plate with the Xtreme narrow plate so I made them. I started making flat plates for the standard narrow feed dog because no on makes them and people were asking for them. I'm phasing out the black oxide finish because people prefer the stainless and actually more expensive for me to produce when I figure the time it takes to add the finish. If you look at the internals of your machine the majority of the parts are black oxide finish, it prevents corrosion. The slot size with the Xtreme narrow is .160 of an inch and .221 on my narrow plates. 

Would you sell the pieces without any type of finish on them vs the stainless pricing?

No, the black oxide coated plates are made of low carbon steel and rust easily if not treated. I still have some black oxide plates in stock and will remove them from my website when they are all sold. The feed dogs are have a black oxide finish and are made of 4142 pre heat treated chrome moly steel. 

Do you make a narrow plate for the Cowboy 3200?

I do make a #25 for the CB3200 but the demand is low for the 3200 so it's best to contact me directly to see what I have in stock.

1 hour ago, Patrick1 said:

I do make a #25 for the CB3200 but the demand is low for the 3200 so it's best to contact me directly to see what I have in stock.

Thanks for getting back to me, but I already ordered one from RockAussie.

Do you make a smooth plate and dog set for the Consew 206RB-5...?

Mike

No I'm only making parts for the Juki 441 or 441 clones and the Durkopp -Adler 205. Guess I should clarify, I'm not making any more feed dog and plates for the CB 3200, but my Narrow presser foot set and left presser foot fits the CB 3200.

Patrick   what parts you making for the 205 Adler?

glenn

I have the Xtreme #25 feed dog and plate which has a slot width of .160 recommended for a #25 needle and below. The Narrow presser foot set, Also have the streamlined Double presser foot and left presser foot for the Adler 205-370.

Alder 205-370.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

On 1/5/2023 at 8:09 AM, Patrick1 said:

No, the black oxide coated plates are made of low carbon steel and rust easily if not treated. I still have some black oxide plates in stock and will remove them from my website when they are all sold. The feed dogs are have a black oxide finish and are made of 4142 pre heat treated chrome moly steel. 

How do you treat the black oxide????

I'm not making black oxide parts anymore. Everything is now stainless. Any parts I did black oxide was with hot salts cooked in a bath. You can get more info here https://feeds.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/Inst-113 Bluing Booklet.pdf  

On 10/1/2023 at 1:49 AM, Patrick1 said:

No I'm only making parts for the Juki 441 or 441 clones and the Durkopp -Adler 205. Guess I should clarify, I'm not making any more feed dog and plates for the CB 3200, but my Narrow presser foot set and left presser foot fits the CB 3200.

For anyone interested I can vouch that the Narrow presser foot set made by Patric are a very useful addition to have for any of the 441 clones. I have been making and selling molds for wet casting a lot of different pouches which can be seen on my YouTube channel and most of these get stitched using this foot set. You can see on this video where I am using one of Patric's sets stitching up a Leatherman pouch which I have made using the mold I make and sell.