Rossr

Where do I go from here?

So I've been making sheaths for a while.  Most of what  I make can be attributable to Paul Longs video series and many Thanks. @sheathmaker I'm pleased with the function and look of my sheath work.  But what next.  I've done carving work, I've done inlays too and overlays at times.  But I've been trying to think what else can I do to stand out and improve from here?

Looking for constructive criticism 

Thanks

Ross

20220829_132101.jpg

20220829_132024.jpg

20220828_150515.jpg

23 hours ago, Rossr said:

So I've been making sheaths for a while.  Most of what  I make can be attributable to Paul Longs video series and many Thanks. @sheathmaker I'm pleased with the function and look of my sheath work.  But what next.  I've done carving work, I've done inlays too and overlays at times.  But I've been trying to think what else can I do to stand out and improve from here?

Looking for constructive criticism 

Thanks

Ross

20220829_132101.jpg

20220829_132024.jpg

20220828_150515.jpg

those are awesome no criticism here . My suggestion is to make some different styles knives and sheathes or possibly just some other leather goods. How about trying an embossed leather sheath lol. 

Good looking sheaths. I say make some different styles. Try looking at some older patterns and maybe do some period style sheaths from whatever period you choose. Plenty to change up while still keeping with the roots of what you are doing. 

45 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

those are awesome no criticism here . My suggestion is to make some different styles knives and sheathes or possibly just some other leather goods. How about trying an embossed leather sheath lol. 

Thanks Chuck. 

38 minutes ago, JWheeler331 said:

Good looking sheaths. I say make some different styles. Try looking at some older patterns and maybe do some period style sheaths from whatever period you choose. Plenty to change up while still keeping with the roots of what you are doing. 

Thank you sir.  Kinda like the period sheath idea.   

Rossr, you have a good start.  From this point you need to make some different styles like the drop loop style for bowie style knives with a single or double guard.

You apparently have the "Basic Pouch Sheath" DVD and as such the sheaths you show all look pretty much the same and that is because the knives you

have covered are all pretty much the same.  Design your sheaths with the blade shape in mind and do some more with inlays or overlays in mind.

I don't keep or sell the DVDs you mentioned, but there are three more other than the Basic Pouch DVD and they will guide you to make nearly

any style sheath you need.  They are available from Chris Crawford Knives.  I am also available to help you via phone any time 830 367 5536)

or email pfl@cebridge.net free of charge.

The work you have shown is good and will only get better and better with continued practice.

Fisk.jpg

DJ 4.jpg

Carlton Evans.jpg

DJ 9.jpg

Edited by sheathmaker

36 minutes ago, sheathmaker said:

Rossr, you have a good start.  From this point you need to make some different styles like the drop loop style for bowie style knives with a single or double guard.

You apparently have the "Basic Pouch Sheath" DVD and as such the sheaths you show all look pretty much the same and that is because the knives you

have covered are all pretty much the same.  Design your sheaths with the blade shape in mind and do some more with inlays or overlays in mind.

I don't keep or sell the DVDs you mentioned, but there are three more other than the Basic Pouch DVD and they will guide you to make nearly

any style sheath you need.  They are available from Chris Crawford Knives.  I am also available to help you via phone any time 830 367 5536)

or email pfl@cebridge.net free of charge.

The work you have shown is good and will only get better and better with continued practice.

Fisk.jpg

DJ 4.jpg

Carlton Evans.jpg

DJ 9.jpg

Thanks for the thoughts and the response.   As always your sheaths are beautiful.  

I actually.have all 4 of the videos.  I'd recomend them to anyone.  Without question they helped me improve.  

I have done more Pouch sheaths than anything.  But have also  done some other styles.  

I enjoy making them and am always looking to improve.  Hence the question!  Most of the sheaths I make are for knives I have made and many are drop points hence the Pouch styles.   I have done some inlay work and overlay too.  I occasionally get hired to make sheaths for knives too which is nice.  

Thank you for offering to share your knowledge. Very kind !

Below is some other sheaths I have done

Ross

20220613_081327.jpg

20220418_184803.jpg

20220218_153529.jpg

Screenshot_20210528-135636_Chrome.jpg

20210418_155807.jpg

20220830_140723.jpg

20220830_140628.jpg

Edited by Rossr

The work is nice and clean, but you might want to try adding some color to make them pop a bit.  Maybe using an antique finish on the detail work, or better yet, how about using an inlay of differently-colored leather, or exotic, etc..  Create some contrast maybe.  

The sheath that has the diagonal bit with what looks like hoof prints could have been created with an overlay, making it look like a reinforcing strap or something.  Adding depth is another way to create a unique look.

Here's a unique look.  Got this off of Nigel Armitage's website.  It is work done by one of his students.

P-Armitage-Leather-Paul-Newton.jpg

I think the ones below are some of Nigel's work.  

No photo description available.

I hope this gives you some inspiration.  And that's the idea, not to copy, but to let the work of others help you develop your own look.  Creating your own "signature" is a lofty goal, but it can be done.  I've seen some very unique leatherwork here on the forum.  Sometimes it is based upon color, sometimes the choice of leather, sometimes just different techniques combined in interesting ways.  

Find your look!  

7 hours ago, Tugadude said:

The work is nice and clean, but you might want to try adding some color to make them pop a bit.  Maybe using an antique finish on the detail work, or better yet, how about using an inlay of differently-colored leather, or exotic, etc..  Create some contrast maybe.  

The sheath that has the diagonal bit with what looks like hoof prints could have been created with an overlay, making it look like a reinforcing strap or something.  Adding depth is another way to create a unique look.

Here's a unique look.  Got this off of Nigel Armitage's website.  It is work done by one of his students.

P-Armitage-Leather-Paul-Newton.jpg

I think the ones below are some of Nigel's work.  

No photo description available.

I hope this gives you some inspiration.  And that's the idea, not to copy, but to let the work of others help you develop your own look.  Creating your own "signature" is a lofty goal, but it can be done.  I've seen some very unique leatherwork here on the forum.  Sometimes it is based upon color, sometimes the choice of leather, sometimes just different techniques combined in interesting ways.  

Find your look!  

Appreciate the thoughts.  I believe that's where I am at,  how do I find my look.  

Paul's sheaths above has that.  You can pick his sheaths out easily.  

I do agree it takes time .  It is hard and we are all building on what others have done.  

Ross

So true about building on what others have done.  There are myriad examples out there to learn from, to study and to honor by taking bits and pieces and incorporating them into your work.  There is truly nothing new under the sun, yet every now and then I see something that makes me pause and go "wow", that's cool.  Probably because I've never seen it before is all.

When I seek inspiration I will often just google something and then click on the "images" tab on the browser.  I get overwhelmed by dozens and often hundreds of photos of what I'm interested in.  If you haven't, try it.  Just put what you are looking for in the search bar and take a chance.

Do you have a favorite color?  Most people do.  Maybe you find a way to incorporate that color into all of your work?  When you encounter a product that has someone's "signature", take note of it and remember it, how they created it.

I just did a quick search for 'exotic leather knife sheaths'  This is the result...there's tons more when you scroll down.

image.png.9a75a100ac8ca04301fe083cb4fd1d43.png

After thinking on this awhile I came up with literally dozens of examples of companies whose products feature a "signature" element in them.

Of course there are iconic logos such as Polo, Gucci, Rolex, etc., but there are other, less obvious ones too.  The little triangular-shaped accent on the bottom of the Untuckit shirts for example.  

DALTON_UNTUCKIT_CHECKS_PERFORMANCE_PINK_2_1600x.jpg?v=1568758377

Knowledgeable folks see that and know it is Untuckit brand and not a pretender.  

I've seen designers that incorporate a specific color into their line of products.  One that comes to mind is Rachel Ray cookware, with bright orange, red and teal blue colors all around.

Maybe you figure a way to introduce a signature color into your work.  Or maybe a signature animal.  Bellroy uses an owl on their products, for example.  

These sorts of "little things" seem to add up to way more in terms of making a product desireable.  Every year some new designer drops a unique look and suddenly "everyone" has to have one.  

Just some more thoughts to consider.

By the way, I didn't mention the knife.  Your work is excellent and your knives are always interesting and attractive.

On 9/9/2022 at 5:21 AM, Rossr said:

Appreciate the thoughts.  I believe that's where I am at,  how do I find my look.  

Paul's sheaths above has that.  You can pick his sheaths out easily.  

I do agree it takes time .  It is hard and we are all building on what others have done.  

Ross

A guy finds his look within himself, his knowledge is all he has to work with, the older a person  gets and the more knowledge he collects adds up and in time his look pops right out. As tug suggested google searches I will go a step further and also add history books. If sheaths are your passion then learn all you can about them, their history is thousands of years in the making covering every conceivable society and culture and in every shape of weaponry imaginable with every type of leather imaginable. For example your sheaths and knives are very Scandinavian in design and appearance to me.  You will then be able to realize a sheath style for a typical knife shape.  You can then be able to further enhance that design to your liking. Then as you make what you like to make the way you want to make it, it will be your look.

Try a different style,  A Filipino  Bolo sheath is not stitched along the edge It is boxed stitch along the center of the flat of the blade . The stitch then becomes a focal point and decorative  

Soo much good advice !

You already got a signature of sorts. ! Expound with that !

I hope Rossr will keep us posted on his thoughts and his experiments.  I'm sure there'll be a lesson for all of us in his journey.

On 9/9/2022 at 1:27 PM, Rossr said:

Thanks for the thoughts and the response.   As always your sheaths are beautiful.  

I actually.have all 4 of the videos.  I'd recomend them to anyone.  Without question they helped me improve.  

I have done more Pouch sheaths than anything.  But have also  done some other styles.  

I enjoy making them and am always looking to improve.  Hence the question!  Most of the sheaths I make are for knives I have made and many are drop points hence the Pouch styles.   I have done some inlay work and overlay too.  I occasionally get hired to make sheaths for knives too which is nice.  

Thank you for offering to share your knowledge. Very kind !

Below is some other sheaths I have done

Ross

20220613_081327.jpg

20220418_184803.jpg

20220218_153529.jpg

Screenshot_20210528-135636_Chrome.jpg

20210418_155807.jpg

20220830_140723.jpg

20220830_140628.jpg

@Rossr Some of your work looks excellent above, in particular the feather one with immaculate crew punch holes. The only main points of criticism that I can see is the different use of colour threads and sometimes uneven spacing from the edge like you have not used a guide or when sanding the edges not staying true to the stitch line. I noticed in the example member @Tugadude shows in his google search above down the bottom a couple of pouches that I made using crocodile. This made me use the same search terms to see where I had posted it before and here is the link I found that you may like to check - https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/85774-knife-sheath-template/

You will see in that post where I have done some work with a jeweller friend that made silver fittings to go onto the pouches and that may give you some inspiration to explore further. Note that he did win many knife shows for years with the work we did together.

23 hours ago, Wild Bill46 said:

Soo much good advice !

You already got a signature of sorts. ! Expound with that !

Thanks Bill.

9 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

@Rossr Some of your work looks excellent above, in particular the feather one with immaculate crew punch holes. The only main points of criticism that I can see is the different use of colour threads and sometimes uneven spacing from the edge like you have not used a guide or when sanding the edges not staying true to the stitch line. I noticed in the example member @Tugadude shows in his google search above down the bottom a couple of pouches that I made using crocodile. This made me use the same search terms to see where I had posted it before and here is the link I found that you may like to check - https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/85774-knife-sheath-template/

You will see in that post where I have done some work with a jeweller friend that made silver fittings to go onto the pouches and that may give you some inspiration to explore further. Note that he did win many knife shows for years with the work we did together.

Rocky Aussie.  Thanks for the thoughts and taking the time to respond and look up that thread beautiful work there btw.   I really appreciate the constructive criticism.  Which is exactly want I wanted and needed to help me improve.  Regarding The different color thread.  So I used different machines for the stitching.  The overlay on the eagle sheath as well as any stitching for the deer skin liners I do on a flat bed.   Mostly my singer 111w155 with 69 thread.   Mostly in black.   The white thread Is linen and being done with a old campbell randall needle awl machine.   l personally like the white thread contrast and maybe that is something I keep doing to set apart what I do sheath wise or make that my thing?   I have thought about setting the machine up to so other thread in colors in nylon but have not attempted that.  Mostly because the linen works. That machine has been running linen for a lot of its life in the previous shop.  I liked the stitch it was set up with and I just keep doing it.  I also Know I will need to get different needles and awls and fiddle around till i get everything sewing correctly.

On the spacing issue. You are correct.   So my general process is I sand the edges before I stitch. So they are close to finished.   Everything is glued together.   3 pieces of leather.   Front, back and welt.   Many times   7 to 8 ounce for front, back and welt.   I have used a guide on the needle awl machine.  But sometimes I have trouble maneuvering especially around the tip on the turn.   Also depending on the thickness I have to be careful about keeping the needle and awl going straight and not wandering off to one side.   So I have either free handed or I will take a wing divider and run a line around to follow.  Once it is stitched.  It always seems I need to do a bit more sanding .  Sometimes the welt will move a little etc.  I try my best to honor the stitch line as I want it to be uniform.   I also really like the stitch front and back on the needle awl machine.   Currently I have no other machines either that will stitch that thick. 

Regarding Google.  I agree so much to look at and see.  Sometimes I try and avoid this because I find myself copying the styles too much and maybe not developing more on my own.  I realize this is a catch 22.  As they are sheaths.   Been around forever and not like we are reinventing the wheel here.  The basics of a functioning sheath do not change much in my opinion .  The adornment does is all and how we choose to fancy them up.  Be it exotic leather inlays etc.

In regards to practice and different styles.  I have gotten to where I am by doing that of course.   Hard part for me is getting enough knives to do that.  I can make knives of course too.  But I am a lousy marketing and sales guy.   I truly enjoy making sheaths and would love to have more of this work in my shop.   However.  Once you crest a certain point the price point is higher than many are interested in paying which I understand.   In my area locally anyway many people cant understand why I charge $50 for a basic pouch sheath.  Between leather costs and time  though that is a reality.  Many times the knife they want a new sheath for isnt worth $50.  But is special because it was a family members etc  I understand the balk.    I am not even sure my work is good enough to enter the higher end custom knife market or even really how to find that line of business.     But I am happy to keep making them when I can. 

@Tugadude  I will do my best to keep updating this thread as I do think this is valuable information.  We are all trying to improve and find our own mix of style.  Leather work has been around a long time and we all share our knowledge on here which is wonderful and helps keep the craft alive.  

I have a zillion more thoughts but that is enough for now.

Ross

I think there's much to learn for all of us here.  Reflecting on one's work is helpful.  Many if not most of us here don't make a living off of our leatherwork, but there are those who do.  And those who do have to figure out ways to separate themselves from the herd so to speak.  That might be in their marketing, but oftentimes it is in the work itself.  

And even those of us who do this just because we can and we love it can figure out ways to differentiate what we do.  

Rossr made a good point about not wanting to copy the work of others he sees on the web.  That's the right approach.  However, one can always take a bit from here and a bob from there and cobble together something unique to them.  And it should be based on one's own taste, what appeals to them, while also providing something universal in appeal.  Not always easy to do.

I saw a brand which used indigo dye on a lot of their work, fading from raw leather to a transparent indigo wash and finally to opaque indigo.  I'd hate to see a bunch of folks attempting to do the same.  To me that dilutes that person's brand.  If everyone began to try it, wouldn't that negate the special feeling you get when you view that company's offerings?  But if that technique appeals to you, maybe there's a way to vary it and turn it into something unique to you.

Just some random thoughts.   The examples below are similar to the one I remember.  The gradient effect is similar, but notice how one company, the first and last examples, are bands of color while the other company, the one represented in the middle, took a different approach.  That's similar to what I'm suggesting, taking a concept and changing it so you're not copying.

Pigeon-Tree-Crafting-natural-leather-wallet-leather-bifold

Lone Oak Card Wallet  Indigo Gradient Dye  Italian Veg Tan image 1Pigeon-Tree-Crafting-minimalist-wallet-front-pocket-wallet

Throw it all at it…..  leave something that’ll make people wonder who the hell made this…. 

6387B7C1-C71E-4D12-9470-E1911A9F41DC.jpeg

F13A8C90-AE6E-47F4-BD72-B6F81BE77B3E.jpeg

BB02113A-FA5E-4F72-9A67-401D20DE9B6A.jpeg

BE5C0C80-AC10-4F7C-9C2B-5791487D2DD9.jpeg

Nice work above.  The lacing is some of the best I’ve seen.

23 hours ago, Garyak said:

Throw it all at it…..  leave something that’ll make people wonder who the hell made this…. 

6387B7C1-C71E-4D12-9470-E1911A9F41DC.jpeg

F13A8C90-AE6E-47F4-BD72-B6F81BE77B3E.jpeg

BB02113A-FA5E-4F72-9A67-401D20DE9B6A.jpeg

BE5C0C80-AC10-4F7C-9C2B-5791487D2DD9.jpeg

Excellent work Gary,  On some of your other work I noticed you used a snapping turtle hide, I managed to get one, I see you died it black and died the high scales red 

Excellent contrast, how did you pull that off?  Did you use resist on the scales?

in what order did you use? 

5 hours ago, Frodo said:

Excellent work Gary,  On some of your other work I noticed you used a snapping turtle hide, I managed to get one, I see you died it black and died the high scales red 

Excellent contrast, how did you pull that off?  Did you use resist on the scales?

in what order did you use? 

Airbrushed it with oxblood, pro resist, antiqued it, seal it up with satin finish. I pro resist only before antique and seal with the satin sheen to knock down the shine of the resist.