Silerleatherworks

Thoughts on the Cowboy 4500

Hello ALL ,      What is the Pros and Cons of the Cowboy 4500 .

I make Holster ,Wallets and Cowhide Purse .  Looking for my first Machine

Should be one of the best machines for the price if you want to do holsters. For wallets and purses keep in mind that the smallest leather point needles for them is a size 160/23 which means the thread size is best at 138 (20 Metric). The large cylinder end can sometimes be a pain when trying to do small gussets and such. The narrow needle feed dog set will give you a way better range of product possibilities as shown in this post - 

I would also suggest that you have a look on my Youtube channel where you can see a few other machines to consider for the future. Wild Harry YT

Contact Bob Kovar , owner of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. He is a member here and has very helpful input @CowboyBob

I have owned a CB4500 since 2011. I normally use it to sew things that exceed 1/8 inch, using thread sizes 138, 207 and 277 (and sometimes #346).. But, after getting the narrow feed dog and throat plate from sew as thin as 4 ounces. I obtained some thin system 7x3 needles down to a number 19 so I can sew with #92 bonded thread.

While I am able to use thin thread to sew soft and thin leather and denim pants cuffs, I have other machines that are friendlier with these projects.

A CB4500 will serve as a great first machine as long as you either keep the thickness and thread sizes at 138 and up, OR, you add on the narrow feed dog and throat plate, then buy smaller System 7x3 needles. Note, 7x3 needles are round point, not leather point. Nobody I know has found leather points smaller than #23 in System 7x4 (aka: 794). When you sell enough stuff buy another couple machines for thinner work or patching.

:16:

I have a Cowboy 4500, a narrow needle plate and I actually a size 19 needle, it’s awesome! It will sew anything I want to build! 

But if you are making a wallet that is China thin then switch to a medium to light duty machine like a 1541 type model 

Making biker wallets it can be done on th CB4500  along with aprons, purses and other items.

GET THE COWBOY 4500

I bought a 4500 from Bob at Toledo Industrial a little while ago. before this I never ran a machine and hand stitched my knife sheaths and some holsters for 30 years. I use 277 thread and also bought the narrow plate for it. the biggest "pro" for me is, a knife sheath that would normally take approx a half hour to hand stitch can be done on this machine in less than 30 seconds.

it currently resides in my knife shop tightly covered with a bed sheet, I don't have any vermin out there but I do have lots of spiders and mud dauber wasps that make nest's everywhere. I also have bad condensation problems certain times of the year so I'm currently building a 12 x 12 climate controlled clean room in the shop for my leatherwork and building folding knives "tiny screws and parts".

back to your question, I can't think of any cons to this machine...other that there's a definite learning curve going from hand stitching to running a machine, but so far I love mine.

for holster work you will probably want to get the narrow plate and look at other foot options available, there's lots of youtube videos on this machine.

I have a 441 clone, had it since 2005 . Not much more I can add other than :17:,  all of that ^^^ Its all good . 

Other than heavy leather, I've sewn  heavy webbing &  canvas  (mainly on the thick folds) . 

Pros...It does exactly what I wanted it for,  sew heavy leathers . Parts ,  threads and accessories  are readily available . Best purchase I've ever made for my business.  Heaps of tips & trouble shooting advice on this site  :yes:

Cons...it doesn't sew delicate silk . 

Apart from changing needles,  I've rarely had to make any adjustments to tensions , and I keep it well oiled & cleaned.  

Look after it, and it will look after you . 

HS