Skipknives

holsters with a thumb-brake

On holsters with a thumb-brake: is there an insert between the layers to add stiffness?

SKIP I HAVE SEEN THEM SEWN IN BETWEEN THE TWO LAYERS OF LEATHER

AND ALSO ON THE BACK OF THE TOP PC OF THE THUMB BREAK.

I HAVE MADE THEM FROM A HACKSAW BLADE, COULD NOT FIND SPRING STEEL

TO MAKE THEM WITH.

cool,,so most of the time it is a steel incert??

maybe one of those belt clips from tandy can be altered to do the trick,,

it would already have the hole i need already drilled,,,hmmmm

thank you

hey,,they also have thin belt clips,,,

less altering,,,whee haw

Skip, I used hacksaw blades as mentioned, I'm always on the lookout for old handsaw blades and putty knives, the cheapos from China are good. I use a Whitney punch for the holes. Depending of the thickness of the leather, say you can use heavy skirt, you can use a piece of roof flashing; the leather gives it enough rigidity so it doesn't stay bent when used. Lately the Dollar store has had some workable putty knives. For what it's worth. If TLF figures out what you're doing with all those belt clips the price will skyrocket ... lol

guess i better go buy a pack and not tell anyone what ther'e for (he clears his throat and checks the door)

Yep, had the same problem everytime I need to make a thumb break. And yep, the belt clips work nicely but the cost would be too much if you make a lot of them. Any kind of thin spring steel will work. I normally sandwich the metal between the back piece and the lining but on an unlined holster you just put it on the back with a rivet. It works, but it's not as finished looking.

thanks guys,,i'm planing my first holster and i don't want to make a bunch of scrap,,its for me so i can take my time.

"think twice cut once" lol

i plan to form a lefty holster and attach the right side of the pistol shell to a panel of leather,,

this panel will be the back(inside) of a "posable-bag" for camping trips (my grandson loves guns a little too much)

this way it is out of sight but at my finger tips if needed.

so i will also be making the bag out of leather as well,,but its gotta look cool not like grandpa is wearing a purse lol

I use a piece of kydex sandwiched between two layers of leather for reinforced thumb-breaks.

+1 on the Kydex insert to stiffen the thumb-break strap.

I was looking at one of my Safariland rigs the other day and that hole holster has a Kydex core laminated with very thin leather on each side - I guess when you want to "mass produce" this might be a good way of increasing output and reducing cost (?).

SKIP I HAVE SEEN THEM SEWN IN BETWEEN THE TWO LAYERS OF LEATHER

AND ALSO ON THE BACK OF THE TOP PC OF THE THUMB BREAK.

I HAVE MADE THEM FROM A HACKSAW BLADE, COULD NOT FIND SPRING STEEL

TO MAKE THEM WITH.

Hi, Stonehedge Leather in San Diego (619) 223-4211 has the spring inserts used for thumb-break snap applications. That is where I get mine, they are the same ones the big gun leather companies use. Stonehedge ships world wide. JL

Trying to use spring steel to cut your reinforcements from is likely to be an exercise in frustration. The "spring" in the steel comes from the tempering of the steel (taking the steel to high temperature, just short of the liquidus, then quenching it in cold water).

Properly tempered spring steel is very difficult to cut, especially with hand tools. Power tools will have the effect of heating up the metal, which destroys the tempering.

The thumb-break requires some reinforcement, but it is not subjected to overwhelming force in use. I have used 24-gauge sheet metal for years with no reported problems. It is readily available at any sheet metal shop, cuts easily with hand tools, and is plenty strong for the job. It also allows some contouring of the tab on the thumb-break, which I use in some holster applications.

If you are near a lumber yard, the steel shipping bands around bunks of lumber make a good source of material. Most lumber retailers just throw it away, so you should be able to get all you can use for free.

I'm currently in design mode and nearing construction on a holster with a retention strap & thumb break. This will be the first holster I've put a thumb break on, so I could use some advice. The thumb break portion of my design will be built out of two layers of 7-8 oz leather. I had decided that was going to be stiff enough, but now you guys have got me wondering. Is the spring steel reinforcement absolutely necessary, or am I going to be okay without it where I've got the stiffness of tow layers of 7-8 oz?

I'm currently in design mode and nearing construction on a holster with a retention strap & thumb break. This will be the first holster I've put a thumb break on, so I could use some advice. The thumb break portion of my design will be built out of two layers of 7-8 oz leather. I had decided that was going to be stiff enough, but now you guys have got me wondering. Is the spring steel reinforcement absolutely necessary, or am I going to be okay without it where I've got the stiffness of tow layers of 7-8 oz?

My opinion is that you wouldn't even notice a thin piece of metal (say 20ga or thinner) between two layers of 7/8 so you may as well put it in there. It can't hurt and it might help.

I haven't built a thumb break holster though so accept this advice with a grain of salt.

Dan

The first problem you will likely encounter will be trying to set a snap through two layers of 7-8 oz. leather, which will be nearly 1/4-inch thick. Most snaps have tube sections much shorter than that. I suggest putting your skiver to work, reducing the thickness by half, then putting a strip of 24-gauge sheet metal in between, drill the hole for your snap, then set the snap.