DwightT

Dice cup V2

A while back I posted about some old leather that I was using and the problems that I was having with it.  I had made a dice cup partly to see what I could do with the old leather and to get an idea for what it takes to do stitching on a cylinder.  Needless to say my results weren't all that good.  The tooling was OK, but in the process of stitching with an awl the leather would stretch or the holes would split out.  Plus that was one of my first projects after being out of leather work for a long time, and I found that there was a lot that I had forgotten.

Since then I've done a lot of reading on this sight, remembering some things that I had forgotten about and learning some new tricks, and I think things have improved.  My wife and I are about to leave for a cruise, and she wanted me to make another dice cup for this trip.  I decided to use the old leather again, but instead of using an awl I made the stitching holes with a chisel, and I didn't even try to join the edges with a butt joint where I would have to stitch through the edge of the leather.  Instead I poked the holes straight through and used a two needle baseball stitch.  I also finished the edges using the technique described by @hidepounder and I think the results were a lot better.  In all I'm much happier with the results.

So Thank You to the forum members for all the great info on this site.  I hope to keep learning as I continue playing with this stuff.

/dwight

Front.jpg.b273fa3d4825dbf4621eba3ce3ea0889.jpg

Back.jpg.4a7a09d4e45d54d7e1d12d919569b0a7.jpg

That is quite nice !   Is the rope effect between the stich lines  tooled   ?   

While not perfect, the new one looks fine to me Sir. Did you happen to take pics of the other attempt?

very nice

15 hours ago, Gezzer said:

That is quite nice !   Is the rope effect between the stich lines  tooled   ?   

Yes. It's just the standard rope stamp, and then I gouged the stitching lines along the edge of the ropes. I find that helps to hide the stitching. I've even done some other projects where I poke the stitching holes on the points of each stamp. Makes the stitching almost invisible.

15 hours ago, battlemunky said:

While not perfect, the new one looks fine to me Sir. Did you happen to take pics of the other attempt?

Thanks , I like that look .

Nicely done.  I've found that round holes work well for this style of stitching also.

Edited by YinTx

YATZEE!!!!

17 hours ago, carr52 said:

YATZEE!!!!

Yep.  We do that sometimes, but Farkle works better for road trips on the motorcycle.  I just need to get around to making a dice tray that will roll up for transport.

/dwight

Dwight T 

I know you made this as a dice cup ! and it looks great as such. Well thought out and crafted , nice color, baseball stitching, etc. however it seems to me , and i don't think I'm alone in thinking this would also make a really nice coozie cup holder too !    I made a few coozie cup holders a few years back, and their not as easy to make, as it is drinking from them.    Congratulations on you return to successful Dice cups.