So hello everybody I am a total newbie to this whole entire forum I've been selling and been using this machine for about a year and a half now I got it from a friend of my mother's who has since passed but used to do car upholstery with it. So recently I just picked up some small jobs doing zipper repair on Bimini top covers and other small jobs mainly to do with canvas.

Yesterday I went to go use my machine and when I went to go sew through the canvas to put the new zipper on the machine would so fine for a second and then  break the needle,, as if it were hitting the plate and not in the center of the hole. I was trying to find a service manual for the 545 and the only thing I keep bumping into is the 1245 so my question here at this point is is that the same manual for the 545 that I have?

P

20220903_165826.jpg

@Newbierockabillygal

http://www.dixiesewing.com/PFAFF SERVICE BOOK.htm

Is this of any use??  It does reference both 145 & 545 suggesting they are similar. 

Hope it helps.

HS

Hi Newbie & Welcome!

I was going to try to dig mine up for you, but went back to messasge I posted and then read what 

Handstitched posted, that manual does work. I have same machine. Good luck!

Edited by suzelle

On 9/3/2022 at 8:16 PM, Handstitched said:

@Newbierockabillygal

Is this of any use??  It does reference both 145 & 545 suggesting they are similar. 

Hope it helps.

HS

That link is broken do u have another link?

So here's another question my needles keep breaking as if the needle is hitting the feed plate. Is it the needle that I need to adjust or is it possible that the bobbin hook needs to be adjusted.? I know that the needle needs to be adjusted because it's not grabbing or meeting up with the hook to grab the thread on time. Does anybody know those adjustments I need to make?

The needle  is not in alignment with the feed dog hole .  The clamp screw to undo the needle bar in the rock frame is behind the little plate next to the reverse lever if I remember correctly.  Loosen that screw and then you have to slowly by hand turn the wheel towards you which will make the needle descend.  You then center  the needle in the feed dog and tighten  the clamp slightly. Turn the wheel again by hand and check the alignment.  If good, tighten the clamp.   However, you have to make sure the feed dog is correctly positioned before doing any of this.

glenn

20 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

The needle  is not in alignment with the feed dog hole .  The clamp screw to undo the needle bar in the rock frame is behind the little plate next to the reverse lever if I remember correctly.  Loosen that screw and then you have to slowly by hand turn the wheel towards you which will make the needle descend.  You then center  the needle in the feed dog and tighten  the clamp slightly. Turn the wheel again by hand and check the alignment.  If good, tighten the clamp.   However, you have to make sure the feed dog is correctly positioned before doing any of this.

glenn

What do you mean rock frame?

On 9/3/2022 at 8:16 PM, Handstitched said:

@Newbierockabillygal

Hope it helps.

HS

On 9/8/2022 at 7:00 AM, Newbierockabillygal said:

That worked fine for me,  downloaded it  for myself , but try this instead: 

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Pfaff-545-3553106.html

HS