A friend wants a patriotic knife and sheath.  Here's what I came up with.  Granted the knife is not finished.  Have a pair to make. Along with two sheaths.  Wickett and Craig vegetable tanned leather dyed blue. Saddle stitched with red and white tiger thread.  Glad I accidentally made the thread on the long side. Kept the dye from rubbing onto the thread. Especially the white! I believe it looks pretty good.  Hopefully not too candy cane ish.

Thoughts? 

20220903_202312.jpg

Back side.

20220903_203008.jpg

Really very most excellent ! :notworthy:

I can envisage you getting orders for this combo, especially that knife

you did good there ! Both are very nice!!

@DaveP, Nice work. I love the handle. I think your stitching is perfect. How long did you spend making the sheath? -Joe

Just a quick question is there a welt in the sheath?

Very nice indeed.  Congrats to the new owner.  They will cherish that for sure.

On 9/4/2022 at 6:44 PM, AA3JW said:

Just a quick question is there a welt in the sheath?

Yes, there is a welt. I do skive it down a little bit half way down. Just about where the blade meets handle area. I also groove the inside stitch line for the belt loop. So the blade won't cut the thread. So it's below the interior surface. Then tap down from the inside leaving a recessed line.

Edited by DaveP

On 9/4/2022 at 8:45 AM, AlamoJoe2002 said:

@DaveP, Nice work. I love the handle. I think your stitching is perfect. How long did you spend making the sheath? -Joe

Thank you! Without counting drying times for dye, Neets foot oil and Resolene. All of those steps are overnight or longer. Depends when I get back to the project. Blue dye I dry longer for some reason it still bleeds after a few days and buff everyday. I guess about 40-50 minutes saddle stitching. Don't really watch a clock as I'm usually watching TV while I'm doing it. LOL 

It would probably be faster without the TV on, but relaxing to me saddle stitching.

On 9/4/2022 at 6:09 AM, chuck123wapati said:

you did good there ! Both are very nice!!

Thanks Chuck!

On 9/4/2022 at 4:31 AM, fredk said:

Really very most excellent ! :notworthy:

I can envisage you getting orders for this combo, especially that knife

Thank you! Those scales are really tough to match up on the spine. I think these will be the only two with this pattern on the handle. 

3 minutes ago, DaveP said:

Thank you! Without counting drying times for dye, Neets foot oil and Resolene. All of those steps are overnight or longer. Depends when I get back to the project. Blue dye I dry longer for some reason it still bleeds after a few days and buff everyday. I guess about 40-50 minutes saddle stitching. Don't really watch a clock as I'm usually watching TV while I'm doing it. LOL 

It would probably be faster without the TV on, but relaxing to me saddle stitching.

Thanks Chuck!

your attention to detail is awesome you took as much time on the back as the front and that belt loop and stitching is proof positive beautiful knife too btw those scales rock.. 

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

your attention to detail is awesome you took as much time on the back as the front and that belt loop and stitching is proof positive beautiful knife too btw those scales rock.. 

Thanks again Chuck!