Shenandoah

white dye for leather

Is there a "dye" in the color white that will work well on leather?  I am working on making some leather feathers.  I do have white/neutral Angelus acrylic leather paint, but the stain appears to leave a nicer/cleaner finish.

Shenandoah

I understand your problem, What I did was thinned the paint with water, 3 parts water and one part paint. Then added several coats to get the desired look.

I looked just the other day for white dye and couldn't really find any so I used white paint without thinning.  In retrospect I think thinning it would be a good idea.

Some of the dyes, turquoise comes to mind, are so non opaque that they are difficult to use short of dipping as it takes so many applications to get it to cover.  Obviously dipping for small colored areas is a non starter.  

White dye exists .. or used to.  It sucks.  Not worth the money nor the effort. 

- Bill

For my white leather projects . . . I buy white leather off Ebay . . . 

Has worked very well so far.

May God bless,

Dwight

4 hours ago, billybopp said:

White dye exists .. or used to.  It sucks.  Not worth the money nor the effort. 

I second that. I have some in a old bottle that someone gave me. To get a good finish on a belt, I had to use a lot of white dye . 

HS

Thanks for the information.  I also want to do a black crow feather, but they have a blue/green iridescence.  I am having problems coming up with this color.  I plan on laying a black dye down first then applying a coat of Dragonfly violet-blue-green color changing paint.  Tried a test strip, but to much.  Will watering down to thin it out also work, or does someone have a better idea to get the iridescence i am looking for.

2 minutes ago, Shenandoah said:

Thanks for the information.  I also want to do a black crow feather, but they have a blue/green iridescence.  I am having problems coming up with this color.  I plan on laying a black dye down first then applying a coat of Dragonfly violet-blue-green color changing paint.  Tried a test strip, but to much.  Will watering down to thin it out also work, or does someone have a better idea to get the iridescence i am looking for.

vinegaroon then Angelus pearlescents paints in greens, blue, and purple very lightly brushed on

feather1.JPG

Just now, chuck123wapati said:

vinegaroon then Angelus pearlescents paints in greens, blue, and purple very lightly brushed on

feather1.JPG

brush it on very lightly and wipe immediately