Bert03241

Donation

One of my best friends who lives in NH , house was struck by lightning , he got second and 3rd degree burns on his back and lost almost everything .Their having a Taco Tuesday fund raiser on Sept 27 with a silent Auction. I made this for that auction will also include a nice Lockback Knife to go with it.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/lightning-strike-fire-revival

20220905_181320~2 (Copy).jpg

taco tuesday benefit flyer(3).docx

Very sweet! Is that lasered?

57 minutes ago, Hags said:

Very sweet! Is that lasered?

Yes Lasered thanks

That is NICE !!

I guess nobody likes lasered leather:dunno: I won't bother to post anymore:(:(:bawling:

1 hour ago, Bert03241 said:

I guess nobody likes lasered leather:dunno: I won't bother to post anymore:(:(:bawling:

Really now!  What's got your tail in a knot?  Not enough compliments?  That's being childish in my opinion.  Not everyone comments.  Many look and don't comment.  I'm one of those people.  I do appreciate the work, time, and expense that goes into lasered materials.  It is still a part of our craft.  I'm tempted, but time, cost, and all I've sunk into leatherwork preclude that.  I still have lots of work to do.  A large part of that is simply maintaining a home and 2 vehicles.  Being retired, you would think I have lots of time, but along with retirement comes age, and the vagaries that accompany it, including a lot less energy than 10 to 20 years ago. 

Take it easy, bub.  This is the first time I have seen it.  I really like it!  I only have time to look at the new stuff and possibly a little research when I get on here.  I don't usually post anything.  I know I'm not very good but I still enjoy it.  My praise may not mean much since I'm not very  accomplished myself.  Sorry for the long post.

JM2C,

Jim

2 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

What?  You posted just fishing for complements or would you like some critique?

Like I said I think it is nice but more important the reason you did it !  I will suspect that you may be a tad stressed about your friend , so let this just slide off your back . I'd like to see some more  so post away !

3 hours ago, Northmount said:

Really now!  What's got your tail in a knot?  Not enough compliments?  That's being childish in my opinion.  Not everyone comments.  Many look and don't comment.  I'm one of those people.  I do appreciate the work, time, and expense that goes into lasered materials.  It is still a part of our craft.  I'm tempted, but time, cost, and all I've sunk into leatherwork preclude that.  I still have lots of work to do.  A large part of that is simply maintaining a home and 2 vehicles.  Being retired, you would think I have lots of time, but along with retirement comes age, and the vagaries that accompany it, including a lot less energy than 10 to 20 years ago. 

Sorry you feel that way young fellow. I think with a 150 200 people looking and only 2 say something that tells me they do not care for the work, at least thats my opinion. I think people think because its lasered that theres not much to doin it,and there for does not get the respect that people who carve do.I envy those that do the beautiful carvings , but lasering is an art in its own right. It takes years to learn all you can do with the laser, learn how to run the machine, learn the proper settings. Learn the software and how to design in those programs and then transfer it to the laser. and the cost of the machine well lets not go there. So yea maybe I was looking for a few more people to say something,anything, not necessarily looking for compliments.

3 hours ago, sbrownn said:

What?  You posted just fishing for complements or would you like some critique?

Hey if ya got somtin to say spit it out. I don't critique peoples work unless they ask for it and then only if I see something that I think needs improvement. Unless theres major stuff wrong I dont say anything. I mostly bitch about the photography , all the cluttered back grounds thats my major beef as you can't see the work, doesn't have to be professional just have a plain background that doesn't clash with your work LOL 

Looking at my stuff  I see  nothing major and the stuff other people would speak on its just their opinion, what they like and how they do it, not what I like and how I do it.

Your sheath looks store bought perfect and if that's what you were shooting for then you nailed it. i think its darn nice sheath and a darn good cause your making it for. My old boss had a saying " its your house you can paint it any color you want." I like computer generated art if its original  and not that cut and paste stuff because it does take ambition, personal talent, time and learning to accomplish. 

7 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Hey if ya got somtin to say spit it out. I don't critique peoples work unless they ask for it and then only if I see something that I think needs improvement. Unless theres major stuff wrong I dont say anything. I mostly bitch about the photography , all the cluttered back grounds thats my major beef as you can't see the work, doesn't have to be professional just have a plain background that doesn't clash with your work LOL 

Looking at my stuff  I see  nothing major and the stuff other people would speak on its just their opinion, what they like and how they do it, not what I like and how I do it.

Last week a guy posted a pic of two holsters he got around a half dozen good comments those are beautiful nice work all that and rightfully so but I saw something that could have made them look a lot nicer so I let him know he got back to me and said he agreed with me I did let him know it was just my opinion for me I want people to critique my work I don't think you would find one person here that would bust someone's balls no matter how bad the work in people on this site are not like that. as for people not looking at your work or not posting about it you never know why I think Monday was a holiday but to go to people just don't like my work for whatever reason is not good reasoning on your part I hope this post helps by the way I do like your work but the reason for doing it is even better. I did see one thing though on the flap just kidding have a nice day.

I've looked at this sheath a few times. The lasering looks fine

Now that others have spoken out I'll have my say,

MY thoughts;

1. The deer (moose ?) head does not fit in with the slogan

2. No way would I use that slogan on anything associated to a person nearly killed by lightning, or anything. I'm sure a better slogan could be thought of

3. I would round off the corners on the flap. imo After a while in use those angled corners are gonna look dog-eared

4. its an 'unwritten rule' on here that if you do and show a knife sheath you've gotta show the knife as well

5. you posted at 02.55 on Tuesday 6th and complained on 00.20 on Thursday 8th. That's not a very long interlude. Members of this forum are not on 24/7 looking at everything all the time. It takes a while for responses. Heck, I've had responses to some of my postings months and even years after it was originally put up. More effective would have been a polite bump with some thing like 'any opinions anyone?'

8 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Sorry you feel that way young fellow. I think with a 150 200 people looking and only 2 say something that tells me they do not care for the work, at least thats my opinion. I think people think because its lasered that theres not much to doin it,and there for does not get the respect that people who carve do.I envy those that do the beautiful carvings , but lasering is an art in its own right. It takes years to learn all you can do with the laser, learn how to run the machine, learn the proper settings. Learn the software and how to design in those programs and then transfer it to the laser. and the cost of the machine well lets not go there. So yea maybe I was looking for a few more people to say something,anything, not necessarily looking for compliments.

Yup, you pretty much repeated my comments!

6 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Your sheath looks store bought perfect and if that's what you were shooting for then you nailed it. i think its darn nice sheath and a darn good cause your making it for. My old boss had a saying " its your house you can paint it any color you want." I like computer generated art if its original  and not that cut and paste stuff because it does take ambition, personal talent, time and learning to accomplish. 

Thanks Chuck always appreciate your comments and imput, love your work too:notworthy:

4 hours ago, Northmount said:

Yup, you pretty much repeated my comments!

1318260.JPG

16 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I think your sheath would benefit from some beveling and burnishing of the edges.  

12 hours ago, fredk said:

I've looked at this sheath a few times. The lasering looks fine

Now that others have spoken out I'll have my say,

MY thoughts;

1. The deer (moose ?) head does not fit in with the slogan

2. No way would I use that slogan on anything associated to a person nearly killed by lightning, or anything. I'm sure a better slogan could be thought of

You may not know but "NH" is the abbreviation for the state of New Hampshire.  Live Free or Die is the state's motto.  The original quote is "Live free or die:  Death is not the worst of evils."   That's why New England is part of America rather than England.  It's estimated that there are over 3000 moose in New Hampshire.   I guess it means something to the guy that got struck?

Edited by mike02130
punctuation

2 hours ago, mike02130 said:

You may not know but "NH" is the abbreviation for the state of New Hampshire.  Live Free or Die is the state's motto.  The original quote is "Live free or die:  Death is not the worst of evils."   That's why New England is part of America rather than England.  It's estimated that there are over 3000 moose in New Hampshire.   I guess it means something to the guy that got struck?

Mike who are you talking to? I hope your not talking to me. I lived in NH for 45 years. I know it like the back of my hand and have had more run in with Moose then most. The States Moto live free or die means something to most Granite Staters and it means a lot to the Person who's this sheath is for. He would chose to die if he couldn't live free as would I. The Moose is a symbol in the state and anyone who lives here would associate the Moose and the moto.

7 hours ago, sbrownn said:

I think your sheath would benefit from some beveling and burnishing of the edges.  

edges are beveled and the main body edges are burnished, the flap is not burnished and that is intentional. again personal preference you do it your way I do it mine.:yes:

9 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Mike who are you talking to? I hope your not talking to me. I lived in NH for 45 years. I know it like the back of my hand and have had more run in with Moose then most. The States Moto live free or die means something to most Granite Staters and it means a lot to the Person who's this sheath is for. He would chose to die if he couldn't live free as would I. The Moose is a symbol in the state and anyone who lives here would associate the Moose and the moto.

Yeah, you really do have a chip on your shoulder.  If you looked at who I was responding to you would realize that I was defending what you have on your sheath.  You may want to reread it with a more open mind.

4 hours ago, mike02130 said:

Yeah, you really do have a chip on your shoulder.  If you looked at who I was responding to you would realize that I was defending what you have on your sheath.  You may want to reread it with a more open mind.

OK Mike my baaaaad!!! My old eyes are messing me up, I had to read read everything 3 times to get it sorted out in my head LOL please accept my apology  .

Edited by Bert03241
I goofed

44 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

OK Mike my baaaaad!!! My old eyes are messing me up, I had to read read everything 3 times to get it sorted out in my head LOL please accept my apology  .

It's cool.  Semper Fi 

All in all your friend is lucky to have you by his side in his unfortunate accident !

And your work is a very nice jesture from yourself !