Jaxx1024

Amateur from Kansas City

Hello. My name is Jonathan. I started leather crafting a year and a half ago and started with some key fobs. I’m nowhere near good yet. I have made some wallets (slim card wallets), a belt, arm bracers, shoulder pauldrons, a knife sheath, bookmarks. Now working on another belt. Could always use new advice on where to find good designs, what the best tool to use is for certain projects, how thick leather to use , etc. I appreciate it and glad to be here. 920C6D09-8E09-4947-A118-5D3F0B37D4C2.jpeg.9d477de882345ca5536f225b037a902c.jpeg

81E326B1-D855-427C-8A40-C75AC0706EEB.jpeg

9A1E8054-E394-4500-BFA6-1DC9F2CC8DBA.jpeg

3C333030-770B-4632-8DA9-EB8C72EC2CF1.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.  I am about 2 hours south of you in Carthage. There are many answers to your questions on the forum.  If you can't find the answer you are looking for, ask away.  If it has been answered, someone will be kind enough to share the link to it.  Thanks for sharing some of your work.  One thing I noticed was some of the item's edges are not burnished.  Do you have an edge slicker?

Yes. I do have a slicker. I tried burnishing the belt as best I could. But only using water and my wood slicker for now. I do still need to dye the edges of that belt as well. 

7 hours ago, Jaxx1024 said:

Yes. I do have a slicker. I tried burnishing the belt as best I could. But only using water and my wood slicker for now. I do still need to dye the edges of that belt as well. 

I will sometimes use dye to slick edges.  I put a coat of dye on and while still wet, rub it with the wooden burnisher.  I gets pretty good results.  

16 hours ago, PastorBob said:

I will sometimes use dye to slick edges.  I put a coat of dye on and while still wet, rub it with the wooden burnisher.  I gets pretty good results.  

Could homemade leather conditioner work as well to burnish with?

Not sure. worth trying.  grab a piece of scrap and go at it.  Let us know what you find out?

On 9/8/2022 at 5:51 AM, PastorBob said:

Not sure. worth trying.  grab a piece of scrap and go at it.  Let us know what you find out?

Thanks Bob. I did dye the edges and burnished some more. I think it looks and feels a lot better. The only problem I am having right now is going from a rivet for the buckle to a snap. I snapped the rivet off and took the buckle off for now, but need some good snaps that will go through the thick leather I am using. I tried some 20 line but they are a little short. 

39 minutes ago, Jaxx1024 said:

The only problem I am having right now is going from a rivet for the buckle to a snap. I snapped the rivet off and took the buckle off for now, but need some good snaps that will go through the thick leather I am using. I tried some 20 line but they are a little short. 

Have you skived the leather to reduce bulk where the snaps are located?

1 hour ago, DJole said:

+1

7 hours ago, Jaxx1024 said:

need some good snaps that will go through the thick leather I am using

Consider Chicago Screws.  Available in several lengths.

On 9/14/2022 at 11:41 AM, DJole said:

Thank you. I will skive first and if all else fails, I may do the Chicago screws. Thanks friends. 

On 9/16/2022 at 10:54 PM, Burkhardt said:

You could also hit the wet edges with a piece of canvas or old denim to get a better edge before trying to slick it.

Hmmm. Never thought of that. Know where I can find some canvas?

Hey guys. I found Some post screws. Do those work the same? Also, I found some canvas as well. Thanks!

Next question I have in this piece I’m carving and dyeing. I’ve done this multiple times, but do I carve and then dye a piece? Or should I dye and then carve and tool? 

2 hours ago, Jaxx1024 said:

Next question I have in this piece I’m carving and dyeing. I’ve done this multiple times, but do I carve and then dye a piece? Or should I dye and then carve and tool? 

Carve first, dye second.

Thanks Bob!