krummark

Plough Gauge blade bevel

I want to start out and say I have little to knowledge of plough gauges and no experience with them at all. But I do have the chance to pick one up from a local guy who got some tools from a friend. Looking at the plough guage, both sides of the blade are beveled, and correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding only one side should be beveled. 

Does having both sides beveled ruin the blade? Is it fixable? If so, how intensive would that be? They were asking like $200 for it, if that is a defective blade, is it even worth it anymore, if it still a good tool would it lower the price?

Looking forward to learning about plough guages here.

Just post the brand here and old boys contact info. We can just order a new knife for it from a few different aftermarket makers. 200 is a steal bro

You're correct that the knife blade should have a single bevel facing the guide and a flat backside.  This setup pushes the leather strap against the guide.  The knife might be repaired by taking the edge back to where the backside of the knife is flat and the front has a gradual taper of less than 20 deg.  It depends on how much bevel has to be removed and how much blade is left.  The tip of the blade should be positioned at or near the trailing side of the ruled bar that the strap slides across.  If the plough gauge is an old Blanchard or Dixon in working condition, I think the frame alone is worth $200.  They are hard to find and you could have a knife made for the frame.

Edited by TomE

Thanks for the replies guys. I am curious now though, how much would a replacement blade cost for the frame? It's an old H. Brindley plow gauge if that brand makes a difference or means anything.

H. Brindley lovely old tools i have an old Martingale groover and a Skirt Shave (French edger) both great tools to use both over a century old still going strong. Tom E is correct it should have single bevel, i would and see how its works anyway if not try and get someone to correct it for you maybe you can that or get some who maybe able do it for you, if not here is a couple of links for a new knife for it just contact them to be on the safe side to if it will fit.  I do know a saddler friend who replaced his old Dixon Plough Gauge Knife with one of these.

https://gandmtools.co.uk/product/george-barnsley-cornish-works-sheffield-saddlers-plough-knife-80211994/

https://www.georgebarnsleyandsons.co.uk/product-page/plough-gauge

I would check with George Barnsley if it was me.

Hope this helps

JCUK 

No it's some old local guy here in Juneau, AK, but that does look similar. That one also looks like both sides of the blade are beveled, coincidence?

Thankyou for sending those links by the way. I know some blacksmiths in town who might be up for that job, I'm not sure though. Only having experience with sharpening knives and whatnot I don't know what all would go into reshaping a blade to have the correct bevel.

The marking on the one in the link are M.O.D. all i can say to i would take a punt on it if was me. I am sure someone on here with experience of regrinding/reshaping edges (not my field that kind of stuff scares the hell out me) will tell if it could done. 

Hope this helps

JCUK

What jc means is that the arrow marking on the parts of that plough gauge is the 'Tower of London' UK Ministry of Defence marking. Everything made for the MoD and approved is marked with that arrow

If the blade is similar in size to the one in the link it should be possible to re-grind the blade. A belt grinder would be best but an angle grinder should work, just take it slow and keep cooling the blade. Finish off with oilstones/waterstones.

Interesting development, so I called Bruce over at Bruce Johnson Leather because this gentleman also had some other tools that I'm interested in. Anyways, I asked about the bevel and Bruce said it really just depends on who made the tool and who you ask. Said 90% of the plough guage blades he sees have both sides beveled

4 minutes ago, krummark said:

Interesting development, so I called Bruce over at Bruce Johnson Leather because this gentleman also had some other tools that I'm interested in. Anyways, I asked about the bevel and Bruce said it really just depends on who made the tool and who you ask. Said 90% of the plough guage blades he sees have both sides beveled

That's really interesting.  I struggled with a new Vergez-Blanchard plough gauge that pinches the strap against the guide.  There's a post about it in the Sharpening forum.  I tried adding a very small bevel to the backside with no change in performance.  I was advised to get a new knife (which I am on a waiting list for) and to get better at sharpening (which I have done.).  The plough gauge works reasonably well now, but it still has a tendency to hang up because of the pinching especially for straps less than 1 inch wide.  Maybe I should try adding a bevel to the back of the blade. :)

@krummark if you buy the plough gauge, please let us know how the knife with a 2-sided bevel works for you.