Sign in to follow this  
PeterPM

leather hole punching machine

I have been searching the internet for a electric or pneumatic leather hole puncher with a laser guide, I have not been very successful. My old hands are getting tired using my osborne rotary hand punch. I'm looking for a machine that's capable of punching a number 2 diameter on the osborne hand punch. The leather is between 7/10oz. Any help would be appreciated.  

Thanks Pete

9 hours ago, PeterPM said:

My old hands are getting tired using my osborne rotary hand punch. I'm looking for a machine that's capable of punching a number 2 diameter on the osborne hand punch. The leather is between 7/10oz.

The only options I can think of would be machines like Weaver, Cowboy and the Buckle Guy sell (www.buckleguy.com/leather-hole-punch-machine/) for about $1500 - $2000.

Cheaper options would be:

i) a hand press that would accept the punching dies like a setter press similar to ones used for setting rivets (www.buckleguy.com/bg-setter-hand-foot-press-requires-setter-die-w-screw/).

ii) use a drill press with a shaft that is end tapped to accept the punching dies installed rather then a drill similar to the one that the buckle guy sells called Setter Post & Base for Screw-In Dies (www.buckleguy.com/bg-setter-post-base-for-screw-in-dies)

These all have their limitations for how far in from the edge of the leather you can punch and how thick / tough the leather is as well as to deep your pockets are.

kgg

For a cheap option - Benchtop drillpress with a laser guide if you want laser. I think my Sears has laser. Put a piece of LDPE on the press table. Chuck a minitube handle in the press with the #2 tube. I bought the Tandy mini punches and maxi punches and had one handle for each size tube. Turn it on and crank it down. The spinning action will make a very clean hole and the LDPE permits the tube to go completely through the leather with a clean exit as well. The return spring action makes it easy to back out of the hole. Wear eye protection because the punchings will fly out in random directions. I've done thousands of holes with this drill press setup.