Hi I recently purchased a juki  lu 563 I need to buy thread for it! I will be sewing light weight leather 10/12  Oz veg tan what is the recommended thread. I need size  and type for top and bottom 

Also a supplier 

Thank you Scott 

10/12 OZ is light weight in what world

Scott, i use 207 thread through a 24 needle or you can go a little heavier with 277 through a 25 needle.

I go both top and bottom with each.

Edited by sheathmaker

27 minutes ago, sheathmaker said:

Scott, i use 207 thread through a 24 needle or you can go a little heavier with 277 through a 25 needle.

Thank you Sir! Can you tell me where you get your thread and is it poly or nylon

17 hours ago, Scottgallagher said:

Hi I recently purchased a juki  lu 563 I need to buy thread for it!

The Juki Lu-563 is an older machine that the spec has being able to take a #18 to #23 needle, 135X17 for material or 135x16 for leather. This means it will accept threads sizes from V69 (Tex70) to V138 (Tex135). It maybe able to accept a # 24 needle to sew V138 in thick tougher material or V207 (Tex210) in thinner. Always use an excellent quality thread like A&E thread and needles like Schmetz which can be purchased from places like Wawak.com. A good cross reference for thread to needle sizes can be seen courtesy of Toledo sewing machines www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html.

kgg

5 hours ago, Scottgallagher said:

Hi I recently purchased a juki  lu 563 I need to buy thread for it! I will be sewing light weight leather 10/12  Oz veg tan what is the recommended thread. I need size  and type for top and bottom 

Also a supplier 

Thank you Scott 

Sorry did I read this wrong I think it says ten to twelve once OZ veg tan leather you cant sew that in a 563 juki 

12 hours ago, sheathmaker said:

Thank you Sir! Can you tell me where you get your thread and is it poly or nylon

2 hours ago, Scottgallagher said:

is it poly or nylon

If your projects are going to be subjected to UV then a bonded polyester thread would standup better then a bonded nylon. The downside to bonded polyester is that is slightly weaker then bonded nylon.

A word of caution is that there are limits on what size of needle and thread you can use in any machine. When you go above the recommended max needle size (Juki LU-563 --- #23) the hole in the needle/feed dog plate may not allow the needle to pass through and the spacing from the hook to the eye of the needle is reduced which may cause the hook to strike the needle. When you go above the recommended max thread size (Juki LU-563 --- V138 ) the head spacing of the needle thread and bobbin thread thread is reduced and may not allow for correct stitching as well as putting extra stress on the thread take-up lever. If you need /want to go to V277 thread the Juki LU-563 is not going to be the proper machine you would have to upgrade to at least a Juki  LU-1508 NH to allow for the machine to properly accept a #25 needle.

kgg

Thank you! I bought this machine for doing inlays and linings In sheaths, so I won't sew anything over 1/4" thick with it! I ordered a machine for the outer portion of the sheaths. Ferdco pro 2000! I appreciate your help 

As I will be needing all I can get

Scott 

I buy thread from a variety of sources, including the following...

Thank you Fir your help Wizcrafts! That’s a lot of sewing machines