Leatherbutt

Alternative to Tandy European Shoulders

I've recently been very disappointed by the quality of the European Shoulders at Tandy. For years they would be perfect, unblemished and have the perfect temper for what I do. Lately I have been literally disgusted by examples at my local Tandy. I've seen soft wrinkly sections that lead me to believe there is belly sections included in the shoulder. So frustrating.

I need a 5/6 oz. medium temper veg tan that can be tooled and dyed and take some bends. The Belgian supplied hides worked for years and years, but now I am beyond frustrated. Either the tannery is dropping the ball or Tandy. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am located in the USA.

PS. I have tried the other veg tanned offerings from Tandy and bleh

I like American Leather Direct.

Give Traditions Leathercraft a call.  They have great leather and they ship.

www.traditionsleathercraft.com

(405) 265-2001

Take a look at Rocky Mountain Leather Supply. They offer free shipping, and they will also cut and skive the hide to custom dimensions if you need that.
I have bought from them  many times, and  they have consistently had excellent quality.
<https://www.rmleathersupply.com/

On 9/10/2022 at 2:19 PM, Leatherbutt said:

I've recently been very disappointed by the quality of the European Shoulders at Tandy. For years they would be perfect, unblemished and have the perfect temper for what I do. Lately I have been literally disgusted by examples at my local Tandy. I've seen soft wrinkly sections that lead me to believe there is belly sections included in the shoulder. So frustrating.

I need a 5/6 oz. medium temper veg tan that can be tooled and dyed and take some bends. The Belgian supplied hides worked for years and years, but now I am beyond frustrated. Either the tannery is dropping the ball or Tandy. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am located in the USA.

PS. I have tried the other veg tanned offerings from Tandy and bleh

I'd have to say you're describing just about every tannery's production lately.   Pacific's leather has been going downhill for years.  Now Herman Oak and Chahin.  I think Covid was the perfect excuse to cut QC and extras stuffed into the leather.

9 hours ago, acope said:

Give Traditions Leathercraft a call.  They have great leather and they ship.

www.traditionsleathercraft.com

(405) 265-2001

+1 on Traditions.  I was in there a couple weeks ago and they have some nice double shoulders.  American hides, tanned in Mexico.

JM2C,

Jim

Edited by jrdunn

I can't find those European shoulders on Tandy's web-site , any chance you can post a link? 

On 9/13/2022 at 6:32 PM, jrdunn said:

+1 on Traditions.  I was in there a couple weeks ago and they have some nice double shoulders.  American hides, tanned in Mexico.

JM2C,

Jim

Tanning is an environmentally nasty business so it's no wonder they are outsourcing the processes to Mexico.

I have settled on Herman's Oak and have a supplier pretty close if I want pick it out plus he ships. I quit Tandy long before they went broke. Recently I purchased a premium veg tan belt blank to see if the quality was any better from the newer company than in the old days. Unfortunately it isn't and I can get Herman's Oak for the same price.

I have no connection with the company and don't even know the owner's name but I would like to put in a plug for S&D Trading Company in Lubbock, TX. It's a small one man shop and he has been in business for many, many years.

Edited by doubleh