Paximilian

Newbie looking for (yet another) hobby

Hello all,

I haven't done leatherworking since we made keychains as a kid. Now, I've got the hobby bug, but also have young kids, so my other hobby (blacksmithing) isn't conducive to having 2 under 5 kids running around.

Anyways, my wife and I enjoy dressing up for Halloween and I want to start going to Ren Faires, so I'm thinking leatherworking would be a hobby that I could make some cool stuff with (and can be done without the danger of lighting my children on fire).

Glad to meet you all and I wouldn't mind some guidance on getting started with clothing/ armor (or leather bags), but I plan to scour the forums for useful info as well.

Cheers!

Welcome !!

I can't help with the items you are interested in but someone will .

Run away...don't walk, just put down the swivel knife and head for the hills with your wallet and sanity intact!  
Just kidding -- welcome to leatherwork!  Instead of burning yourself, you'll cut and stab yourself, but you'll still get to make beautiful and functional things in an ancient craft. ;-)

Check out Prince Armory on You tube, I consider the best and great tutorials and patterns if you want

Just watched a video of theirs about tools to start out with. Very helpful, thanks! 

You could do worse than to start with key chains, or key fobs as they're called in Britain. Depending on how far you want to go, they can show you - 

pattern making, cutting out, stitching, edge bevelling & finishing, carving, dyeing/staining, and use of the knife, and other tools

Search YouTube for beginner's leather tools, techniques, and simple items such as key fobs, bookmarks,  & card holders

If you are interested in garb for RenFaires, start there and figure out what you want your garb to look like. If you are going to do something simple like a tunic, start with a simple a ring belt.  Not much to it.  Then a couple of simple draw string pouches would be easy today.  Maybe something a bit more fancy next. Check out Karl Robinson in the UK for inspiration. Eventually you can work up to doing shoes or boots.  They look impossible I know, but you can make them..  Somebody was able to make them all those hundreds of years ago with just a very basic set tools.

If you're thinking of re-enactment fairs, have a look here. Yes it's a British site but it will show you the sorts of things that can be done; perhaps there is something similar in the USA?

Also Search YouTube for making leather reenactment items, roman sandals, medieval shoes, viking shoes, drawstring bags & pouches  and so on

Home | The Original Reenactors Market

Edited by zuludog