Jama

Handwheel Agony

Hey,

New here. Joined mainly because I've visited many times, found help with several issues and wanted to thank you guys. Uwe's video helped me time my 111W-155 after struggling for days with a new hook. I found links to things like manuals and admired your custom tables. Been sewing since I was nine, a third generation seamstress. I mostly create street rod upholstery, but I also do furniture; currently sewing up a Barcelona sofa with button tufting.

I do all of my own maintenance and adjusting, occasionally buy used machines and restore them, etc. I have two decent leather machines, a 111W-155 and a National 26-188 with a large handwheel and a servo. These two sew like they were brand new.  I've had the 111W-155 since 1995 and only last week put a hook in it for the first time. I have a red eye (treadle) for when they shut the power grid down, it won't sew leather, but if I rip my pants, I'm covered!

I got a double needle 112-140 recently, but I can't get the handwheel off to put a timing belt on her. The heads of the set screws are gone. Seems that's why there were parts missing and no belt, LOL!  I'm guessing I'll have to drill out what's left of the set screws. The repairman that used to come to the shop died of old age, nobody makes "house calls" anymore, my truck gets eight miles to a gallon, so I'm not loadin' that filthy beast up and hauling her in to be repaired. She can sit in the corner and get even rustier.

So, many thanks to those of you who post suggestions and solutions, and I wanted you to know I both look up to you and look you up when I can't solve something. I also came across something cool that you might want to check out if you want wheels on your stands, look for "workbench casters" on Amazon. You can raise and lower it with these. The K stands might be tricky to put them on, but they work great on straight tables if you use through bolts and enlarge the holes enough to accommodate the bolts.

It's time to work the puzzle! G'night from Jama

Glad you were able to find some useful info here.  Welcome from SW Missouri!

On 9/10/2022 at 8:10 PM, Jama said:

Hey,

New here. Joined mainly because I've visited many times, found help with several issues and wanted to thank you guys. Uwe's video helped me time my 111W-155 after struggling for days with a new hook. I found links to things like manuals and admired your custom tables. Been sewing since I was nine, a third generation seamstress. I mostly create street rod upholstery, but I also do furniture; currently sewing up a Barcelona sofa with button tufting.

I do all of my own maintenance and adjusting, occasionally buy used machines and restore them, etc. I have two decent leather machines, a 111W-155 and a National 26-188 with a large handwheel and a servo. These two sew like they were brand new.  I've had the 111W-155 since 1995 and only last week put a hook in it for the first time. I have a red eye (treadle) for when they shut the power grid down, it won't sew leather, but if I rip my pants, I'm covered!

I got a double needle 112-140 recently, but I can't get the handwheel off to put a timing belt on her. The heads of the set screws are gone. Seems that's why there were parts missing and no belt, LOL!  I'm guessing I'll have to drill out what's left of the set screws. The repairman that used to come to the shop died of old age, nobody makes "house calls" anymore, my truck gets eight miles to a gallon, so I'm not loadin' that filthy beast up and hauling her in to be repaired. She can sit in the corner and get even rustier.

So, many thanks to those of you who post suggestions and solutions, and I wanted you to know I both look up to you and look you up when I can't solve something. I also came across something cool that you might want to check out if you want wheels on your stands, look for "workbench casters" on Amazon. You can raise and lower it with these. The K stands might be tricky to put them on, but they work great on straight tables if you use through bolts and enlarge the holes enough to accommodate the bolts.

It's time to work the puzzle! G'night from Jama

If I were going to try to remove the set screws, before drilling them out, I would first drill them for the appropriate sized easy out and then I would take my torch and heat up the handwheel around the screw holes before I tried to turn the easy out.  If that didn't do it I would heat the handwheel red hot around the screw holes and then after it cooled use some sort of anti-seize penetrant and try it again.  Drilling them out might be my last resort.