Dave84

Lewiston skiving machine

Hey Everyone,

I found a guy selling a Lewsiton Shoe Machinery CO Leather skiving machine from 1977.  Info on tag reads:

Ch [6]

HP [1/4]

Date [1977]

Ser. NO [660102]

I can't find much info, but before I purchase at $855, can anyone give me insight into the company and machine? Is it worth it?  I'm skiving down 5/6 Oz Horween for handstitched bags.

-Dave

Edited by Northmount
changed skiing to skiving

2 minutes ago, Dave84 said:

Lewsiton Shoe Machinery CO Leather skiing machine

Do you mean sewing machine?

You need info off the machine's tags rather than the motor.  Motors are too generic to provide info about the machines they are attached to.

1 minute ago, Northmount said:

Do you mean sewing machine?

You need info off the machine's tags rather than the motor.  Motors are too generic to provide info about the machines they are attached to.

No it is a skiver.  That's the motor tag?  Gotcha, will update in when I speak to the guy tomorrow hopefully.

That's pretty close to the price of almost new, hardly used skiving machines that come up for sale on this site.

4 hours ago, sbrownn said:

That's pretty close to the price of almost new, hardly used skiving machines that come up for sale on this site.

Dude got back to me and said it is older and best offer would be accepted.  That's always risky :)

2 hours ago, Dave84 said:

Dude got back to me and said it is older and best offer would be accepted.  That's always risky :)

Did you ask if it works?  If it works you might get it pretty cheap.

So funny story. I just bought this exact same machine 2 days ago from a guy in Sterling, VA. Same exact machine. It works great but needs some fine tuning adjustments. The front motor looks original but the rear motor is a new consew motor. I would love any info as well if anyone has any. I didn’t pay $855 though. The guy I bought it from bought it last year I believe but hardly used it.