Cumberland Highpower

What's the largest die you've used on your clicker?

I am curious what the largest die anyone has used on a clicker?  Most specifically on an Atom Se25?  This is a standard 25 ton swing beam die cutting machine.

I have a new project that requires panels of leather cut aprox 18"x10", from strap or English Bridle. Approx 10oz  Maybe 10-12oz.

I haven't ordered any dies,  starting to think maybe these panels may be too large to cut on this machine in this heavy (and dry if strap/skirting) leather?  I've never cut anything quite that large with a die on these machines.

Any thoughts?

Is it just a rectangle?  Total blade length is more important that size.  Obviously your head should cover all of most of the die but an 18x10 rectangle could have the same cutting edge as a much smaller did with lots of internal details and punches.  I have a huge double headed clicker that cuts huge pieces like 3’+

45 minutes ago, nstarleather said:

Is it just a rectangle?  Total blade length is more important that size.  Obviously your head should cover all of most of the die but an 18x10 rectangle could have the same cutting edge as a much smaller did with lots of internal details and punches.  I have a huge double headed clicker that cuts huge pieces like 3’+

pretty much a rectangle yes.  One die will be a slight trapezoid.   If i had space I'd like a double head or a traveling beam clicker. I've seen some good prices on a couple,  I'm just maxed out with nowhere left to put one.

Deep down I feel like it may take more pressure than 25 tons?

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

Pretty sure a 25 tonne press will handle that alright but the 18" may be getting a bit long hanging out. I try to avoid more than a couple of inches hanging out on the sides of the top plate as it can bow your knives if you are not careful. If needed I cut left and right and only half depth then take it down and repeat the same. Not for the press so much just for the knives. The knives I mostly use are 2mm thick steel. One thing that makes a big difference is giving the outer edge of the blades a polish with a rag wheel and tripoly wax. That can give a cleaner and a way less pressure cut.

4 hours ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

So much silence? :) I guess I'll have to order some dies and find out if it's capable.

I am sure it will work alright but I think as a general rule about 500 pounds per inch would be about right so on your measurements 16 ton would do it. Have a look here first https://www.keydies.com/faq.htm

This post on page 2 has some calculations that may help 

Edited by RockyAussie

58 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

I am sure it will work alright but I think as a general rule about 500 pounds per inch would be about right so on your measurements 16 ton would do it. Have a look here first https://www.keydies.com/faq.htm

This post on page 2 has some calculations that may help 

That's some good information.  So far you're the only one that's really come up with any useful data.  500lbs/in on Key Dies page may or may not be for leather.  I looked over the site and I get the impression they make dies for cutting paper/cardboard, foam, rubber sheeting, etc?   I used to  die cut Rubber conveyor belting that had 2 sheets of nylon cloth inserted and a third on the surface and it cut like butter compared to Herman Oak Skirting.

I'm feeling pretty confident now though, will probably order dies this week.

Edited by Cumberland Highpower