theredhedsed

Walking foot won’t lower properly

I have a TechSew 1460 and have been having an issue with the walking foot where it gets stuck in various raised positions, despite not having the knee pedal or hand lifter engaged. I can’t find any YouTube videos on the issue. I’ll either jiggle the foot pedal, turn the hand crank/motor pulley, or start sewing and it’ll SLAM down. Help! :)
see video for demo: 
https://youtube.com/shorts/wbpGA8ZNGpU?feature=share

Edited by theredhedsed
Link not working

have you oiled the machine ever since?

BTW - looks like it is not correctly  threaded (top thread) sec. 0:05 - 0:008 (just saying)

54 minutes ago, theredhedsed said:

I can’t find any YouTube videos on the issue.

If I'm not mistake the Techsew 1460 is similar to the Sailrite Fabricator and the Consew P1206 which appear to be clones of an older Singer model. An excellent manual with photo's and detailed instructions for your machine would be the Sailrite Fabricator Guidebook ( https://www.sailrite.com/PDF/2016_Fabricator_Guidebook.pdf ). Checkout the "Adjusting the Presser Foot Lift" (page 50), "Adjusting the Vertical Lift" ( page 51) and "Adjusting Feed Timing of the Needle Bar, Presser Foot and Feed Dog of the Outer Presser Foot " (page 52). You may spot something not quite properly aligned / adjusted / rubbing / catching but at least you will have photo's to judge by.

45 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

BTW - looks like it is not correctly  threaded (top thread) sec. 0:05 - 0:008 (just saying)

Also I agree with Constabulary that you top thread path is not correct but the Sailrite manual should help you sort that out.

kgg

2 hours ago, Constabulary said:

have you oiled the machine ever since?

Yes! All new oil and  I gave her a good cleaning as soon as I bought her. She runs great except for the presser foot (even with the top thread improperly threaded—ha!). I didn’t even catch that it was supposed to go under the elbow after the second tensioner. Thanks for pointing that out. 

1 hour ago, kgg said:

An excellent manual with photo's and detailed instructions for your machine would be the Sailrite Fabricator Guidebook

Oh my goodness! Thank you, kgg!! This manual IS excellent and much better than the techsew one that I received from the original owner. I’ll check it out now. Thank you!

Edited by theredhedsed

I have a sewing room full of walking foot machines, including 1 Techsew 2700. Every now and then one of them decides to hang the presser bar when I lift it all the way. This happens because the bushings at the top and bottom can sometimes move, or get out of round. Or, the presser bar itself can bend slightly from stress and impacts. One way I found to fix this is by loosening the set screw for the upper or lower bushing (on the back side of the head), or both, with the foot lifted all the way. I play with the set screw adjustments until the presser bar move up and down freely, then liberally oil the raised bar to get the bearings lubricated. Also, open the faceplate and oil every moving shaft and bearing.

If loosening the bushings doesn't help with a binding presser bar, buy a replacement. It is probably the same bar that was used in the Singer 111 machines.

57 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Every now and then one of them decides to hang the presser bar when I lift it all the way.

Thank you, Wizcrafts! You’re a legend. Thanks for the tips. I’ll keep everyone posted on what I determine.