Handstitched

What Type of Binding Machine Does This?

G'Day,

I was offered to modify a ute*/pickup cover to accommodate roll bars on the back of the ute. The client gave me  another of the same to use as a template.   After  measuring ,  marking everything out ready to start cutting, and before I started  cutting the holes out, I had the sense to check if I can get this thing under the machine to do the binding, turn it in circles........NUP !!!  Can't be done on my Seiko STW.  My bad :blush:

So, have a look at the pic  and see what type of binding machine would have  done circles?? Something quite large ,  industrial and automated on a grand scale  I'm guessing ?  The machine moves around the item, not the other way around?   Take into consideration that these covers are approx.  2 metres +  square  and like a heavy PVC/canvas  & velcro , and a bit stiff. I do horse rugs, with those I can fold, flex,  scrunch up, manoeuvre   the rug  to get it under the foot, easy peasy...but this is no horse rug. Too bulky. 

( *Ute, pronounced ' yoot' ) 

HS

Ute Cover Pics 001.jpg

You're going to need a narrow cylinder arm walking foot machine with a synchronized binder. Then equip it with either a single or double fold attachment that produces the proper width on the folded edge.

Pfaff and Adler binder machines are often used to apply edge binding. These machines are modified for this purpose.

10 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

You're going to need a narrow cylinder arm walking foot machine with a synchronized binder.

Thanks for that   :). I'll also need a lot of space to move it around. Space is at a prime in my workshop atm. And  certainly can't be done on a flat bed.  Lesson learnt. 

Thanks 

HS

You'll also need a looooong arm machine, there's no way that could be wrestled under my Pfaff 335 binder, for example.:blink: 

3 hours ago, dikman said:

You'll also need a looooong arm machine

Exactly, and a large work space ( I don't have that )   :yes: I don't like being defeated, but what Clint Eastwood once said, " a man's  got to know his  limitations "  . 

HS 

I donot think you need to get the compleet cover under the arm

if you can fold the edge a little upwards you ca stitch it while you keep most of the cover in the vertical plane left from the arm (and turn it slowly round)

but you need a free arm anyway (think i could do it with a adler 69 or a pfaff 335

Difficult to explain with words anyway 

what i should do is try to follow the stich with my machine (without sewing) just to see if i can make it

most of the times you discover you can fold en turn the leather or otherstuf more than you thought 

regards michiel

The binding  may also have been done on a rotating head machine to accommodate holes  for roll bars and other shapes,  quite an impressive piece of kit. Some are like a  programmable  machine head in the middle of a huge table. These ute/ pick up covers are  no doubt made in large numbers, so I guess its prudent  to have the  type of machines to fill the demand. 

HS