Sign in to follow this  
TedNoiz

Rough Hack From South Dakota Here

Howdy Folks!  Nice to be here!  I've been making a mess of leather things off-and-on (busy workin' man here!) for about a year now.  I've had some successes and some failures, but no matter, I just love working leather whatever comes of it.  I've made book markers, tote bags, purses, valet, straps, belts, misc., etc.  I've actually made some items good enough for sale and made a little money.  But I've got a long way to go to work up my skills.  For example,  my swivel knife work and tooling is horrendous.  I just don't get how to do it right and make it beautiful and it just so happens it's one of the things I want to do most.  Long way to go there.  Anyway it's been a good time struggling to find my niche in leatherwork.  What I screw up and can't sell--I keep for myself!

As of late, as for my niche, I have been leaning toward building knife sheaths, gun holsters, and strapping and baggage for my bicycles.  I am a bit of a cyclist, camper, hunter, fisherman, so it feels natural to me to want to work in these directions and make goods I find useful.  And it's learning on the cheap!  I just buy some belly leather and have at it!  My work is rough and used looking (though not all of it!), but it all functions perfectly and looks proportionate.  I couldn't be happier.  

I came to this forum to learn whatever I can and socialize with others of like mind.  

Welcome to the forum.  My wife and I visited your lovely state last year and had a glorious time!  So many treasures.  I had been there on business, but it was much better kicking back and just soaking it all in.

As far as being a rough hack, you can learn some tips here that hopefully will allow you to eliminate both of those words from your vocabulary.  It takes patience, but once you begin to see improvements you will be energized.  I know I was.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum, no better time than this winter to practice neighbor, that's what it takes to get good at tooling Hopefully someday i can say i'm good at it too.  I've learned so much here its amazing and really good folks as well from all over the world. 

Welcome to the forum !!!

My nick name is  " leather butcher " :lol:

Welcome! I make a few holsters and knife sheaths myself. 

Welcome from SW Missouri.  Lots of great stuff on here for sure.  As you keep practicing, you will amaze yourself with your own improvements.  Lots of videos on YT as well.  For carving, check out Joe Meling and Don Gonzales.  They are really really good.

Hey! Welcome! I have been trying to work on my tooling and carving and I’ve got a long way to go too. 

On 9/15/2022 at 5:56 AM, PastorBob said:

Welcome from SW Missouri.  Lots of great stuff on here for sure.  As you keep practicing, you will amaze yourself with your own improvements.  Lots of videos on YT as well.  For carving, check out Joe Meling and Don Gonzales.  They are really really good.

Yes, they are.  Tough acts to follow.  I like Bruce Cheney and Gregory Belenky, too.  They take things to heights I didn't even realize was possible.

On 9/14/2022 at 2:45 PM, chuck123wapati said:

Welcome to the forum, no better time than this winter to practice neighbor, that's what it takes to get good at tooling Hopefully someday i can say i'm good at it too.  I've learned so much here its amazing and really good folks as well from all over the world. 

AGREED!  I live in South Dakota, so having a hobby to get through those long, dark winter nights is a must.  I'm all set.