PastorBob

Cowboy, Singer, or Adler

For around $1300, I can get a Cowboy Outlaw, an Adler 104-64, or a Singer 144w102.  Both the Adler and Singer are being sold by an individual reseller who has completely went through them and are in good working order.  I have tried one of those Chinese Patcher / Cobbler machines with no luck as my only inroad into the sewing machine market.  Any thoughts about which of these to choose as my first real sewing machine?  I really don't want to have a bunch of these.  Just one to take care of my leather needs.  They will mainly be for holsters, sheaths, and may jump into some satchels, backpacks, etc.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Well of the batch the 104-64 is a real machine and would sew about anything you listed.  You'd need to use a smooth feed dog and a needle plate with no teeth on it if you want to avoid marks on the leather  I think the price is too high though.   I have a 205-64 (similar at least being a needle feed) that looks brand new and I think I paid $1500 for it when I bought it last summer.  I think I'd give maybe $900 max for a 104-64.

3 hours ago, PastorBob said:

For around $1300, I can get a Cowboy Outlaw, an Adler 104-64, or a Singer 144w102. 

I feel you pain. My take on this would be that the Alder and Singer are older brand name flatbed motorized machines while the Cowboy Outlaw is a cylinder arm one armed bandit that I assume is a new machine. The price to me seems high for both the Alder and Singer machines. The Cowboy will take up less space and another thing is parts and accessories for the both the Alder and Singer are going to be expensive.

Of the three you have listed I would choose the Cowboy Outlaw as it is new with warranty / support / accessories.

Another option to add confusion to your decision is that another one armed bandit is the Tippman Boss which has a new version that has Reverse for about $1400.

kgg

kgg I think some wear parts for the old 105/104s are pretty easy to find. Bobbins/needles/hooks etc.  The 104/105's are really well built and I doubt he'd wear out anything really.  

What I bet he'd have trouble with is finding feet that he likes.   I made a couple for mine but I'd gamble I'm the exception. Aren't many feet options out there for the 104/105's. Was a 105-64 on Ebay last week.  I bet the seller would take less for it than his asking price of $1900. I'd rather have that than a 104.  Flat beds are ok, but really not fun to sew leather on.

Didn't Pastor bob list some Thor Brand Juki Clones on here for sale not long ago? Seems like I remember him listing 3 or so around $1900??  

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

53 minutes ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

Pastor bob

Pastor bob is probably looking for something able to handle both thick layers and the ability to use larger threads (+V207) at a reasonable price. I figure I have the lower end pretty well covered off but I am debating on adding a one armed bandit for those times things are just a touch to thick or I would like to add a larger sized thread but I can't justify the cost of a 441 class motorized machine.

kgg

7 hours ago, kgg said:

Pastor bob is probably looking for something able to handle both thick layers and the ability to use larger threads (+V207) at a reasonable price. I figure I have the lower end pretty well covered off but I am debating on adding a one armed bandit for those times things are just a touch to thick or I would like to add a larger sized thread but I can't justify the cost of a 441 class motorized machine.

kgg

I can justify the need for a cowboy 4500, they see 7/8 of an inch of leather, they are reliable and if you buy a machine make sure you won’t grow out if it.

The outlaw to me is impractical, I need both hands to sew and a motorized  machine is great! They say buy once cry once

3 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

They say buy once cry once

Yes, I use that saying all the time but for the number of times I need to go over the capabilities of my existing machines the investment for the more popular 441 class machines is not cost effective. 

i) Cowboy 4500 the $4000 CAD plus shipping plus taxes, duty and brokerage fees 

ii) Cobra Class 3 the $4200 CAD plus shipping

iii) Techsew 4100 the $4000 CAD plus shipping

iv) Unknown brand TSC-441 at $2500

Where as a Juki TSC 441 will cost about $10,000 CAD the last time I checked. So a new one armed bandit by Cowboy (Outlaw) and Tippmann (Boss with Reverse) become alternatives at about $2000 CAD.

kgg

Edited by kgg
additional info

22 hours ago, kgg said:

kgg

Actually I seem to remember him listing a Thor machine that was a Juki 441 clone a while back.  Around 1900 if I remember correctly?

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

17 hours ago, kgg said:

Yes, I use that saying all the time but for the number of times I need to go over the capabilities of my existing machines the investment for the more popular 441 class machines is not cost effective. 

i) Cowboy 4500 the $4000 CAD plus shipping plus taxes, duty and brokerage fees 

ii) Cobra Class 3 the $4200 CAD plus shipping

iii) Techsew 4100 the $4000 CAD plus shipping

iv) Unknown brand TSC-441 at $2500

Where as a Juki TSC 441 will cost about $10,000 CAD the last time I checked. So a new one armed bandit by Cowboy (Outlaw) and Tippmann (Boss with Reverse) become alternatives at about $2000 CAD.

kgg

PM me about the machines.