SewMuchToLearn

TechSew 5100 -- metal piece sheared right off!

On 9/19/2022 at 12:38 PM, SewMuchToLearn said:

I am still waiting to hear from Techsew support on this. It is frustrating to have such a huge failure of the machine and no resolution from TechSew customer support. I've called and emailed them, and now I've lost another day of sewing time. I've heard such great things about TechSew support, but I have not experienced it yet. I'm hoping they can restore my faith in the brand!  @Techsew Ron

I got rid of my techsew 5100 and bought a cobra class 4. Way better machine IMO. However, both of my machine i bought used so previous owners care and maintenance most likely made a difference with the machine. Techsew wouldn't help me at all because I didn't buy from them. Cobra on the other hand has great customer service in my experience. Both machines are made in China. Probably from the same factory. 

On 9/24/2022 at 10:29 PM, CowboyBob said:

They do have a good video & it really isn't that hard of a job to do,you change it & then re-time it,1/2 hr time @ the most.

Perhaps, if you know what you're doing, however it appears the OP has little choice.

As Handstitched said here it would be the dealer's responsibility to fix and the buyer may have the option of a refund in this particular situation.

@CowboyBob  :17:  He's right,  If we were to go anywhere near it with a spanner, it would void any warranties  ( here in Oz)   If that happened to my machine, I'd be breaking out in a cold sweat.  I wouldn't have a clue how to fix it either, and even if I did, there no guarantee it will run properly again. 

On 9/24/2022 at 10:52 PM, Runzeigrun said:

Techsew wouldn't help me at all because I didn't buy from them. Cobra on the other hand has great customer service in my experience.

Thats quite a big difference between companies, regardless of where it was bought from. 

Whatever happens, I do hope theres a positive resolution .

HS

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Whatever happens, I do hope theres a positive resolution .

Agree. Hopefully he gets the parts quickly.

kgg

12 minutes ago, kgg said:

Agree. Hopefully he gets the parts quickly.

I also agree, but I hope he gets a replacement machine  quickly .  Cos while all this is happening, theres a lot of down time not to mention the stress. 

HS

I don't intend to get into a debate about warranties and dealer services. I do want to point out that one of the purposes of this forum is to help people solve issues with industrial leather sewing machines. This is an excellent example of an unexpected part failure and how to replace that part. Had the OP purchased the machine used, with no warranty whatsoever, the same procedure would have to be followed to get the machine working again. The only difference is that the OP doesn't have to pay (full price) for the part. This is a learning opportunity in case someone else has a 441 clone that has a broken shuttle driver.

27 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I don't intend to get into a debate about warranties and dealer services. I do want to point out that one of the purposes of this forum is to help people solve issues with industrial leather sewing machines. This is an excellent example of an unexpected part failure and how to replace that part. Had the OP purchased the machine used, with no warranty whatsoever, the same procedure would have to be followed to get the machine working again. The only difference is that the OP doesn't have to pay (full price) for the part. This is a learning opportunity in case someone else has a 441 clone that has a broken shuttle driver.

Good point BUT the key is prevention! I'm not saying this is the case here. But, I always stress to people when they buy one from us is to make sure to hold onto the needle thread when you start sewing. IDK how many jams it can take to break, it causes a lot of stress on the driver. So if your machine ever jams DO NOT try to use the motor to power through it, they are strong enough esp with the reducer to make this happen. Shut the motor off & turn the wheel backwards. If you can't turn the machine take the hook & race out to unclog it.

Edited by Wizcrafts
Edited to make this important information bold, and fixed typos.

Hi @SewMuchToLearn, I apologize for the delay here as I don't monitor LW.net daily and didn't notice this thread. I looked into our records and see that your initial email came in on a Friday and we responded Monday to help troubleshoot with this. Your replacement parts were shipped over a week ago, please let me know if you need further assistance by calling or emailing us.

I investigated this with both with our factory and our technicians. It looks like the break was caused by a thread blockage putting extreme stress on the part, we don't see anything that would indicate a manufacturing issue or defect. Nevertheless this is a critical component which is 100% covered under warranty. We shipped replacement parts right away along with detailed video guides on how to replace the parts.

To avoid machine downtime we always prefer to send replacement parts in cases where the repair is not too difficult. We have lots of video guides and offer support over Facetime to help with any kind of repair or adjustment. In any case where a repair is a lot more complicated we would replace the machine or perform the repairs on our own, 100% free of charge.

Thanks everyone for your input - happy to discuss further if anyone has questions.

best regards,
Ron

To close the loop on this -- I received the shuttle driver assembly from Techsew last week, as Ron mentioned above. Was able to get it installed and my machine working again.  Techsew also offered me $150 credit towards a future purchase of replacement parts.

As for this part breakage being caused by a thread jam -- I do not recall any such jam. Seems like if it was enough stress to break the shuttle driver, I would remember the jam.

Regardless, I'm back up and running. Thanks all for your insight.