Sign in to follow this  
IronCross

Sailrite Ultrafeed lsz-1 for leather belts?

So I make leather belts and straps (10-12oz) with a thin wliner on the backside, and I’m currently hand stitching these. I’ve been wanting to purchase a sewing machine but unfortunately do not have $2500 to drop on some of the obvious choices.

I found a great deal on a Sailrite Ultrafeed with walking foot. Does anybody have experience with these, or know if they would be an option for leatherwork? 

forgive my ignorance on the matter, I’m new to the craft.

Thanks in advance

-J

3 hours ago, IronCross said:

I found a great deal on a Sailrite Ultrafeed with walking foot.

Since you are hand stitching you are probably use to thick thread, fairly large stitch spacing's and tougher veg tan leather. The Sailrite will top out at about 3/8" thickness, made for softer leather, has a max sewing thread size of V92 and the stitch length spacing will reduce as the thickness of material increases.

This would not be my first choice. To get into the larger thread sizes, thicker / tougher materials consider a better used machine or maybe a one armed bandit like the Tippmann Boss or Cowboy Outlaw.

kgg

5 hours ago, IronCross said:

So I make leather belts and straps (10-12oz) with a thin wliner on the backside, and I’m currently hand stitching these. I’ve been wanting to purchase a sewing machine but unfortunately do not have $2500 to drop on some of the obvious choices.

I found a great deal on a Sailrite Ultrafeed with walking foot. Does anybody have experience with these, or know if they would be an option for leatherwork? 

forgive my ignorance on the matter, I’m new to the craft.

Thanks in advance

-J

Not sailrite, but the original Thompson mini Walker. My very first machine, and the father of sailrite. Imma give it to you point blank. Nope, there will be much frustration on your part. They’re perfect if you’re on a boat, and doing lots of canvas work…. Save up some cash and do it right. Keep your ear to the track and for a few hundred bucks you can find you a life long partner in creativity…. 

4 hours ago, kgg said:

The Sailrite will top out at about 3/8" thickness

The stock machine is not able to sew 3/8 inch of anything. The foot mechanism isn't meant to clear that much while in action. If the lifted feet clear 3/8 inch, the maximum sewing thickness would by 1/4 inch because the feet need at least 1/8 inch to alternate. These machines were built to sew sails, Bimini covers, Sunbrella awnings and upholstery materials.

The standard Sailrite portables have aggressive teeth on both feet and the feed dog. They will leave deep marks in leather. Sailrite has a version for leather workers that has knurled feet and feed dog. This greatly reduces the marks on the top or bottom. It is more expensive than the marine models and has a heavy balance wheel to punch through leather.

No matter which model you get, it is limited to #92 bonded thread (polyester or nylon) If your customers are used to seeing belts sewn with .0258" (.655mm) 5 cord linen thread (w/ 53 pounds breaking strength), they will be disappointed by the thinner number 92 bonded thread that is only .0133" (.337mm) diameter and has just 14.5 pounds breaking strength. You can compare thread sizes and the corresponding needle sizes in this needle and thread chart.

You would be much better served by a machine like a Consew P1206RB, which is a less expensive variant of the Consew 206RB-5.

5 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

The stock machine is not able to sew 3/8 inch of anything.

You are correct I should have said top out at 3/8" presser foot lift.

kgg

My Sailrite will not sew anything very well over 6 oz. Anything thicker releases top thread tension because the tension mechanism is tied the foot height. I fought this for nearly 2 years, 2012-2014. I never got a response from Sailrite after several e-mails. I guess it was I was sewing leather, not Sunbrella?  And the serrated feed dog is a huge issue. Last year I bought a Cobra 26 t go with my Class 4. No Regrets.

Sailrite offers knurled and smooth feed dogs/feet. I put the smooth in my Ultrafeed machine and they work great. Smooth feeding and no marking. I am mostly sewing 2 pieces of 4oz veg with V69. I have sewn a 4mm veg tan belt for a friend but I used V69 because that was all I had on hand, (other than waxed linen hand sewing thread.) It worked ok. I have just the LS1 Ultra Feed with Monster wheel installed and it will get inconsistent at times though. It works ok if not pushed too hard. 

BUT I echo everyone's advice here. The Sailrite Ultrafeeds good for a portable, walking foot. They are no production machine. Seriously consider, saving up and find a used Industrial walking foot for your needs and you'll be way happier in long run. I bought my Seiko and its worlds more machine.