HavnerDesign

Anti slip for shoulder strap / gun sling?

Hi,

I am new to the forum, but have done leather work for a hobby for some years.

Among other things, I make leather gun slings for hunters, and I want to find something to add as anti slip on the part of the sling that is in contact with the shoulder. A hunting rifle is quite heavy and it is annoying when the sling and rifle starts to slip down your shoulder and you need to constantly adjust the sling to get back up on your shoulder. Can anyone recommend liquid latex? Will it stick properly to leather? Will it last over time? Or is there a better solution? I have found self adhesive anti slip-labels or stickers that are made for handbags and other smaller shoulder bags, but I don't reckon they will last very long on a rifle sling... Is there any kind of rubbery band or patch I can sew on to the back of the sling?

Look at router pads or maybe even shelve liner  , might be something you could use .

Hope you find something !!

Neoprene. We use it on harnesses for sled dogs. It is the same stuff 'mouse pads' are made of and comes with or without the fabric facing.

Tons of stuff you can use.

Some rifle slings come with a non slip rubber finish.  cotton webbing is often woven from cotton with latex woven in.  Mouse Pad Neoprene mentioned above is often used and bound  around the edges.   Sometimes a granulated rubber sheet is used. (backed up with a knit cloth).  That's harder to find, I used to order mine from Finland.

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

a lot of folks put a thumb hole through or a loop on the inside to hang their thumb in so the sling wont slip around.

7 hours ago, HavnerDesign said:

Can anyone recommend liquid latex? Will it stick properly to leather? Will it last over time? Or is there a better solution? 

This product is a synthetic rubber (butadiene) for sealing the flesh side of leather.  I use it mixed 50:50 with water and work the first coat into the leather with a glass slicker then apply a thin second coat.  However, it dries as a smooth nontacky finish (like the label says).  It seals out moisture and seems to be durable.  I use it on bridle pieces that are split thickness as a replacement for the mossback finish of full thickness bridle leather. 

The BT639 might not suit your purposes.  What about sewing on a liner of rough out chaps leather?   https://www.hidehouse.com/Leather/Pearl-Split-Cow-Split-Grain-Suede-Finish-PE10-P.asp

IMG_5794.thumb.JPG.ee0794d9c4cbd55bc744f6404dddae5b.JPG

7 hours ago, GatoGordo said:

I line the back of the sling with suede. It provides grip and a padding for the shoulder.

so do i , trouble with adding sticky stuff is a sling isnt just for carrying the weapon, if you actually use your sling as it should be to shoot with your going to have problems.

On 9/20/2022 at 4:28 PM, Gezzer said:

Look at router pads or maybe even shelve liner  , might be something you could use .

Hope you find something !!

Very clever, would never have found those. Thanks!

On 9/20/2022 at 6:33 PM, tsunkasapa said:

Neoprene. We use it on harnesses for sled dogs. It is the same stuff 'mouse pads' are made of and comes with or without the fabric facing.

Nice tip, thanks! That will also serve as padding for the shoulder.

On 9/21/2022 at 5:15 AM, GatoGordo said:

I line the back of the sling with suede. It provides grip and a padding for the shoulder.

Yes I have also done that in the past, it works ok and seem to last over time. This time I was trying to evolve and challenge myself to find alternative, and possibly cheaper, solutions. However, suede will likely outlast any manmade material... 

On 9/20/2022 at 11:05 PM, TomE said:

This product is a synthetic rubber (butadiene) for sealing the flesh side of leather.  I use it mixed 50:50 with water and work the first coat into the leather with a glass slicker then apply a thin second coat.  However, it dries as a smooth nontacky finish (like the label says).  It seals out moisture and seems to be durable.  I use it on bridle pieces that are split thickness as a replacement for the mossback finish of full thickness bridle leather. 

The BT639 might not suit your purposes.  What about sewing on a liner of rough out chaps leather?   https://www.hidehouse.com/Leather/Pearl-Split-Cow-Split-Grain-Suede-Finish-PE10-P.asp

IMG_5794.thumb.JPG.ee0794d9c4cbd55bc744f6404dddae5b.JPG

Thanks! Had never seen this product. Does it make about the same result as Tokonole or Gum trag? And yes, a leather liner of some sort is a good solution!

On 9/20/2022 at 7:37 PM, chuck123wapati said:

a lot of folks put a thumb hole through or a loop on the inside to hang their thumb in so the sling wont slip around.

Yes! I've seen thumb holes and they are very clever and add a nice little detail to the sling if they are neatly done with stitching around the hole and so. Working on a custom sling right now that somebody ordered and will make a thumb hole as a surprise feature i think!

3 hours ago, HavnerDesign said:

The BT639 is an adhesive that penetrates the flesh side and glues the fibers together.  Burnishing with tokonole or gum trag is a surface treatment.  I have also used PVA glue (Elmers white glue) mixed with stain to seal the flesh side (worked in with a glass slicker), but this stiffens the leather and I suspect it will break down with flexing the strap.  You can find threads here about using stain/glue mixtures for sealing edges.

I horseback hunt and use a regular saddle scabbard when mounted. I tried but don't like any of the extra wide at the shouder slings because they make it harder to get the rifle in and out. I made up a sling with the leather slit sliding strap keeper and 1 1/4" wide strap. Then on the back side where it rides on my shoulder I attached two parallel strips of leather about 8" long - where others have put suede. The strips are rough side out and have a 3/8" gap between. They're attached with a single row of stitching. The theory being the edges of the strips will catch and hold from slipping better. They can twist a little, and the gap between can allow some of the coat or jacket fabric to go up between for a little more friction. Also added a thumb strap. Works OK so far, but haven't tested with different jackets. More pictures if anyone wants them.

sling.JPG

suede might be a solution

On 9/20/2022 at 4:05 PM, TomE said:

What about sewing on a liner of rough out chaps leather?

:17:

Springfield Leather sells 13/4" wide rough out strips too. 

maybe rubbing a light coat of bees wax?

@HavnerDesign  I am curious  , what did you come up with ?

@Wyowally I am impressed. Nice looking sling and a smart solution with the leather strips for grip. Care to share a close up photo of the strips?

On 11/23/2022 at 12:31 AM, Gezzer said:

@HavnerDesign  I am curious  , what did you come up with ?

@Gezzer I actually got a rubbery padding material from a professional sling maker. I asked him what he used and he gave me one to try, for free. (Will upload some photos here shortly). It works, but I am very keen to "invent" my own solution.

Next sling will have router mat on the back. Thanks again for that tip!

Glad you found something and look forward to the pictures .