WhiteBuff

Needle and thread combo

Need advise on a needle and thread combo for sewing vinyl seat upholstery material, my machine is a Cobra class 18

thanks Clint 

6 hours ago, WhiteBuff said:

Need advise on a needle and thread combo for sewing vinyl seat upholstery material, my machine is a Cobra class 18

Here is a good cross reference needle size to thread size chart provided compliments of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines: www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

If I'm not mistaken your machine can handle up to a #24 needle so in thick or sticky material you will max out at V138 thread with that needle size. Some vinyls are more sticky then others. I would go one needle size up for want is recommended for the thread size you select to give a little extra space in the hole so the threads (top and bobbin) don't catch on the material. Do a test run with the max number of layers of vinyl, like crossing seams, you are going to be sewing through and see what works best. Also bonded nylon will be slightly stronger then bonded polyester but bonded polyester will stand up to UV better. If you use a larger top thread then the bobbin thread for looks the strength of the seam will be that of the smaller bobbin thread.

kgg

know this is late..... i dont get on much

your thread should only take up approximately 40% of the needle hole. Starlight have real nice match up charts you can look at  

The Toledo sewing machine company cross reference mentioned by KGG is the chart I used for reference when I started using a sewing machine. I also tend to go up one needle size if I am sewing some materials. The only issue is the larger hole.