KeriHat

Singer 20U twin needle clamp

I recently bought a singer 20U33 with the intent of using it for multiple uses as-is but also as a twin needle for double top stitching denim seams, but I have not been able to find the twin needle clamp in stock anywhere.

I am attaching a picture the part found on amazon, aliexpress, and ebay but "no longer available" (blue background) and also a screenshot from a youtube video where they are using the 20U as a twin needle but with a different looking part that I haven't found.

If anyone knows where I can find this part or similar, or has one that I could buy I would be thrilled to know. It would need to be the wider gauge. Any help greatly appreciated!

2006774331_Screenshot2022-09-07at13-10-571PCSPARTKP-20U-2twinneedleclampforSINGER20USewingMachineeBay.png.1853d610dea4c5d99eec742e33ce455e.png251898686_needleclamp.jpg.47af1dd2a1258b5a530844b9a2ec5cfe.jpg

1545373294_twinneedleadaptor.png.a6880ddc3dd146c09ff9fca304321bc9.png

Edited by KeriHat
better layout?

You have a part number?

glenn

12 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

You have a part number?

glenn

This is what I have:

MPN #: KP-20U-2 twin needle clamp for SINGER 20U Sewing Machine
brand: CKPSMS

4.5mm twin needle clamp adapter for SINGER 20U
Brand: evernice

Keri

58 minutes ago, KeriHat said:

If anyone knows where I can find this part or similar, or has one that I could buy I would be thrilled to know. It would need to be the wider gauge. Any help greatly appreciated!

The "out of stock" part you picture appears to be an adapter that replaces the stock clamp on the end of your existing needle bar.     The picture of a double needle "in use" could be one of these of some flavor-  

https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/denim-jeans-twin-needle-schmetz-1.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIscmIztOt-gIVvxbUAR3lDgaZEAQYAyABEgIxwfD_BwE

It does seem to use the stock 20U clamp, as these would (if they fit properly).

-DC

1 hour ago, SARK9 said:

It does seem to use the stock 20U clamp, as these would (if they fit properly).

Thank you, yes, now that I take a closer look this does look like the regular clamp to me also.

Can it be that simple - to use regular clamp with available twin needles even though they are "domestic" only? it's always the simplest solution!

I had searched for "round shank twin needles" at some stage, but they don't exist so i gave up. So now I am going to try the denim needles from your link, and others until I find the Cinderella fit and hopefully I will be back soon to let everyone know it worked!

2 hours ago, KeriHat said:

Can it be that simple - to use regular clamp with available twin needles even though they are "domestic" only? it's always the simplest solution!

That's all my wife uses is the regular needle clamp on her cheap domestic.  The 20U series is beefier than her little machine.  The needle clamp on my 20U is certainly stronger her domestic and stronger than the double needles.  The double needles will fail long before the clamp.

58 minutes ago, Northmount said:

That's all my wife uses is the regular needle clamp on her cheap domestic.  The 20U series is beefier than her little machine.  The needle clamp on my 20U is certainly stronger her domestic and stronger than the double needles.  The double needles will fail long before the clamp.

I just hope they fit, but I gather from your reply on the other post that they will, so I can't wait for them to get here to start my next project. Thanks!

On 9/24/2022 at 1:07 PM, KeriHat said:

I just hope they fit, but I gather from your reply on the other post that they will, so I can't wait for them to get here to start my next project. Thanks!

Keri, looking forward to hearing what you find out about your results! I hope you are able to work something out for a "twin needle" setup on your Singer 20U. I'm still curious exactly which version you have of the Singer 20U, also if you have a flat sided shaft or a round shaft on your needles? Good luck in your search!

2 hours ago, Northmount said:

Probably several models of 20U.  Mine is a 20U33 from about 1975.

Hello, mine is a 20U33 from the 80's. Apparently it won't take the flat needles but I'm still going to give it a go and will let you know.

One further **off-topic** observation RE: Singer 20U needles: My made-in-Japan "brown"  20U33 WILL accept a couple of brands of HAX1 or 15X1 needles ( with the flats) although it does fit the needlebar hole very closely. They can be oriented to have the scarf face the rear and clamped without issue. My rough measurements of the shanks on the brands I have on hand show that the shank diameters of the "home sewing machine brands" of 15X1 needles average around 0.002" larger than the DPX5/134R/135X5/1955 needles I normally use in the 20U. The needle length and locations of the eye & scarf seem to be nearly identical and my machine sews a wide zigzag stitch using the domestic needles shown. Its possible that those "twin" needles may have an attachment shank diameter that will be within a (-).002 tolerance and fit a stock 20U needle bar, though I have none on hand to try. 

-DC

20U_needles1.jpg

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and replies which encouraged me to continue and experiment - the results are in and we have a winner!

The Schmetz denim twin needle didn't fit at all as the shank was too thick and the blue plastic "stopper" is too wide.

The Schmetz extra wide twin needle (6mm) fits into the needle bar but the red plastic stopper is also too wide for the regular clamp. This is a real shame as that is the width I need.

The singer universal twin needle 4mm fits perfectly because the top doesn't have the blue/red plastic "stoppers" that the others have. Unfortunately I cannot find a 6mm version of this style, so slightly stumped.

As you can see (bottom pic) it works well on a taped seam and hem. The reverse is a slightly inconsistent zig-zag which I think is just a tension issue - top tension needs to be really high.

I'm very happy with the results but I do also need a 6mm version or find a way to make the schmetz 6mm work somehow, so the search continues...

twin-needle-test-singer-20U.thumb.jpg.f90750967b6e8d9e42c253f7f8e6f9c2.jpg

universal-twin-needle-singer-20U.thumb.jpg.89431a8154e3ad8708b37c2c01f76bce.jpg

On 10/7/2022 at 8:55 PM, KeriHat said:

The singer universal twin needle 4mm fits perfectly because the top doesn't have the blue/red plastic "stoppers" that the others have. Unfortunately I cannot find a 6mm version of this style, so slightly stumped.

As you can see (bottom pic) it works well on a taped seam and hem. The reverse is a slightly inconsistent zig-zag which I think is just a tension issue - top tension needs to be really high.

I'm very happy with the results but I do also need a 6mm version or find a way to make the schmetz 6mm work somehow, so the search continues...

Keri, You have my respect for all the work you did finding a twin needle that works for Singer 20U!!

Now I'm going to buy some!  I'm also hoping for a 6mm version, crossing my fingers. I can think of a lot of projects to use twin needle. Thank you!