BlackDragon

A couple purses

I made a purse for my sister out of veg tan dyed to a whiskey brown with dark brown accents and red suede interior.

She took it to work and a coworker wanted one for his wife. I made that one black with whiskey accents.

Please feel free to critique so I can improve

20220831_191350.jpg

20220831_192211.jpg

20220831_192229.jpg

20220917_164841.jpg

20220917_165441.jpg

20220917_165031.jpg

Both of those are quite nice, The only changes I might make is to not use white thread because with use it starts to look a little dingey and I would also use oval holes for the buckle tang. These things are very minor compared to the quality of your work, I wish I could do as good.

10 hours ago, Leescustomleather said:

Both of those are quite nice, The only changes I might make is to not use white thread because with use it starts to look a little dingey and I would also use oval holes for the buckle tang. These things are very minor compared to the quality of your work, I wish I could do as good.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Why oval holes instead of round? 

2 minutes ago, BlackDragon said:

Why oval holes instead of round? 

The buckle tongue goes thru the hole at an angle and in use it deforms the circular hole into an imperfect oval hole, which eventually looks not-nice. If you start with an oval hole there is virtually no deformation and the hole will still look better after much use

very nice work!!

6 hours ago, fredk said:

The buckle tongue goes thru the hole at an angle and in use it deforms the circular hole into an imperfect oval hole, which eventually looks not-nice. If you start with an oval hole there is virtually no deformation and the hole will still look better after much use

Thats great info thanks! 

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

very nice work!!

Thank you

Stunning. are you using a sewing machine or stitching by hand?

1 hour ago, PastorBob said:

Stunning. are you using a sewing machine or stitching by hand?

Thanks!

It's hand stitched.

Just wish I could do as good !   Nicely done

1 hour ago, Gezzer said:

Just wish I could do as good !   Nicely done

Thanks!

Well done! I would have maybe rounded the edges another size up but that is debatable if it would look better or just different. Is that your design? It looks great, both of them.

Looks great to me but you might consider inside pockets. My wife, the shoe and purse lover, insists on pockets in her purses and considering all the stuff she packs around I can see why it would need to be separated to some extent.

3 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Well done! I would have maybe rounded the edges another size up but that is debatable if it would look better or just different. Is that your design? It looks great, both of them.

Thanks, I saw a similar design on youtube and did a couple of changes.

1 hour ago, doubleh said:

Looks great to me but you might consider inside pockets. My wife, the shoe and purse lover, insists on pockets in her purses and considering all the stuff she packs around I can see why it would need to be separated to some extent.

It has an inside pocket, more like a sleeve, that is removable. I used chicago screws to attach it and It's big enough for a large cellphone. I made some other purses without pockets and boy did I get an ear full!

Good job!

You might consider skiving  the edges of the accent piece on the front, so there’s less of a ridge.

I like the red thread on the black bag. The “Batman” combo is a winner on lots of things. I found that using cream colored, or beige, works well when you want a bit less white, but it looks good as is.    

I also agree completely regarding oval holes, but they take a lot more care to get them straight. I found that if, instead of just trying to line up the tool, I’ll punch a hole through a small piece of poster board to use as a template. You place the template over your mark, and when it’s straight,  use hand pressure on the tool to mark the oval on the leather, then remove the template, re-index the tool, and punch through. The nice thing here is that you can see all the ovals in a line before punching, and make small adjustments if necessary, before punching them out  

Nice job!

1 hour ago, JazzBass said:

Good job!

You might consider skiving  the edges of the accent piece on the front, so there’s less of a ridge.

I like the red thread on the black bag. The “Batman” combo is a winner on lots of things. I found that using cream colored, or beige, works well when you want a bit less white, but it looks good as is.    

I also agree completely regarding oval holes, but they take a lot more care to get them straight. I found that if, instead of just trying to line up the tool, I’ll punch a hole through a small piece of poster board to use as a template. You place the template over your mark, and when it’s straight,  use hand pressure on the tool to mark the oval on the leather, then remove the template, re-index the tool, and punch through. The nice thing here is that you can see all the ovals in a line before punching, and make small adjustments if necessary, before punching them out  

Nice job!

Thanks!

I was looking at oval punches and at this point I not sure which brand or sizes I should get. The cheap ones, well they're cheap but some of the expensive ones have bad reviews as to quality so I'm leary about pulling the trigger on them.

Nice job. Well done.

13 hours ago, Chipster99 said:

Super nice!

13 hours ago, toxo said:

Nice job. Well done.

Thanks!

On 9/27/2022 at 12:55 AM, BlackDragon said:

Thanks!

I was looking at oval punches and at this point I not sure which brand or sizes I should get. The cheap ones, well they're cheap but some of the expensive ones have bad reviews as to quality so I'm leary about pulling the trigger on them.

These days you can no longer reckon that more expensive = better, cheap = poor. Nearly all my oval punches are from China. They each were a modest price. And all are perfectly ok. Some needed a wee bit of sharpening first but nothing too bad. Buy some modest priced punches. Buy just a couple of different sizes from one place. If they are ok, then buy more from them, but even that is no guarantee the next ones will be as good