Sign in to follow this  
Pharvey

Durkopp 17-1-1

I have cleaned up a Durkopp 17-1-1.  I am having difficulty getting the foot to walk.  I think the part that holds the walking bar is too far done below the ring that would press the lever to walk the foot.  The part has a set screw in the front of it but I cannot get the part to move.  Does anyone know if there are additional set screws which must be removed or is it

stuck?  I don't to get more forceful if there is something I image.png.76cbceda9668c55b49bc3eed43b91b6f.pngam missing.  I don't want to break anything as parts are almost impossible to get.  In the pictures I am refering to the piece with the handle that the foot attaches too.

Its better when you post pictures of YOUR machine. Front and back and some more pictures of "around the head" so we can see the details better and if something is missing. If you can shoot a video and upload it to youtube it would be even better but not just a 5 second video, take your time and make a proper Video - if possible.

I am attaching a video of the machine operating.  Several things come to mind as to why it is not functioning properly.  The first is the part that holds the foot bar seems to low which keeps the arm that makes it walk not touch the outer ring which should move it back.  Second the inner ring does is not moving in this video.  If the foot bar is not in place the inner ring and its rod move freely.  The foot bar does appear to hang up some in the part that holds it.  I cleaned some rough edges on the foot bar yesterday.  The last thing that I am questioning is the spring tension.  I have no idea what tension any of these springs should be.  I believe the part that holds the foot bar should be higher on its shaft.  That would allow the arm to move it back would touch the outer ring.  I have removed the set screws and attempted to slide the part up but it is not moving.  I did not want to apply more pressure until someone could confirm that it is adjustable and not pressed in place.  I am hoping is it that simple.  Here is the youtube link  

sorry can´t tell from the Video - but some years ago I restored a Dürkopp 18 (no longer have it) but maybe you can see something in the pictures from my restoration or the pictures other have posted and the video in this thread:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/76826-dürkopp-18-patcher-restoration-long-journey/page/2/

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/76826-dürkopp-18-patcher-restoration-long-journey/?do=findComment&comment=517817

Edited by Constabulary

thank you the video did help. When you restored your machine were you able to take off the foot bar holder?  The piece with the two handles. If so how did you take it off. If I know how it comes off I can figure out how to move it. 

I do not recall everything cause it was some years ago when I restored. I´m sure everything was apart except the top shaft.  I think when you remove the handle there is a set screw behind it... But not I´m really sure...

Looks like your foot is stuck in the upper position have you tried applying more foot pressure?

Edited by Constabulary

Humm.   the foot is not walking at all.     I have to look at another video of another machine.  This one has got me stomped!!

glenn

I have adjusted the foot pressure. Here’s what I think. The foot bar holder is so far down, the foot bar is binding where the slot bottoms out on pin. I think I will try to move that holder up tomorrow. Then the pin will sit higher in the slot and no longer bind. Then the rod the should push the bar down should be able to move freely. Once it does I will readjust the springs to see if it helps. 

great.

glenn

I did manage to get the foot bar holder off. I have determined a couple things. The foot bar holder should sit on the bushing where it’s set screw will bring the slot marked by yellow in the picture. This keeps it in place vertically but allows it to turn around so you can sew in different directions. The piece circled in red is the bushing. If the foot bar holder is set by the slot then to adjust it up to where it engages to make the foot walk the bushing must move up. There is a set screw on the side of the head that reaches the bushing. This makes me think it should be adjustable. However, I can not get it to move. Has anyone ever moved that bushing?  If so am I missing something besides the set screw?  

9A8EE133-8122-4294-ADC1-34582F5A4D34.jpeg

If the machine works w/o removing the bushing better leave it where it is. If you break something there will be no replacements parts for these old Dürkopp patchers - or - if you find  them - they will be not cheap.