Loki74

Walpier Buttero Taupe questions

So I have a customer requesting that I make him a copy of his beloved 50 year old trifold wallet that is falling apart. He requested it be super thin as well. The only leather I found to match it is the Walpier Buttero Taupe split to 1 oz.

So I've never worked with Buttero and had some questions I hope you guys can help me with.

1. Do I oil before sealing just like any other veg? I normally use olive oil as well.

2. If I do oil should I use something other than olive oil?

3. Any special sealer I should use? I was thinking Feibing's Leather Balm with atom wax.

4. Any other things I need to consider while working with it.

Was surprised I didn't get at least one response, lol. Here I go jumping in blind, heh. So I figured I would share my experience so far so maybe others can learn some things.

1. It smells a bit like cat pee. I'm not even joking, lol. After Tokonole on the flesh side and Feibing's Leather Balm on the hair side it seemed to lessen the smell.

2. I found no need for oil. It really is buttery soft. I'm pretty sure buttero doesn't mean butter in Italian but it certainly does to me working with it.

3. I'm loving the leather balm as a top coat. It let's the buttery hand feel to still come through while leaving a nice sheen. It's not a cheapy looking shine either just a nice beautiful luster.

4. I'm foregoing an edge burnish and using rolled edges. It does burnish up beautifully but those rolled edges are turning out too beautiful.

I'll post other stuff if I come across any other peculiarities to it. If anyone else has any other things to share or thoughts on my process feel free to chime in.

Here’s what I got, my work is 95% exotics, and the rest veg, chrome, oil tan, I use olive oil exclusively on everything. I seal with a satin sheen because I don’t care for shiny. Roll with what you know. This is what I know. 35 years with no complaints….. patch it up! 

Edited by Garyak

8 hours ago, Loki74 said:

Was surprised I didn't get at least one response, lol. Here I go jumping in blind, heh. So I figured I would share my experience so far so maybe others can learn some things.

1. It smells a bit like cat pee. I'm not even joking, lol. After Tokonole on the flesh side and Feibing's Leather Balm on the hair side it seemed to lessen the smell.

2. I found no need for oil. It really is buttery soft. I'm pretty sure buttero doesn't mean butter in Italian but it certainly does to me working with it.

3. I'm loving the leather balm as a top coat. It let's the buttery hand feel to still come through while leaving a nice sheen. It's not a cheapy looking shine either just a nice beautiful luster.

4. I'm foregoing an edge burnish and using rolled edges. It does burnish up beautifully but those rolled edges are turning out too beautiful.

I'll post other stuff if I come across any other peculiarities to it. If anyone else has any other things to share or thoughts on my process feel free to chime in.

6 hours ago, Garyak said:

Here’s what I got, my work is 95% exotics, and the rest veg, chrome, oil tan, I use olive oil exclusively on everything. I seal with a satin sheen because I don’t care for shiny. Roll with what you know. This is what I know. 35 years with no complaints….. patch it up! 

Where were you guy's when it seemed like half of the forum here jump down my throat for saying you can't use olive oil on leather. But yes, the 2 products you named should work fine.

9 minutes ago, Burkhardt said:

Where were you guy's when it seemed like half of the forum here jump down my throat for saying you can't use olive oil on leather. But yes, the 2 products you named should work fine.

I still have people tell me I can't use olive oil. One old saddle maker told me my reins would end up being mice attractant. If that were true then I don't see the mice preferring olive oil over neatsfoot unless they were Italian mice. I've never had any problems with using it.

28 minutes ago, Burkhardt said:

Yeah, It turned into a "uninating contest" before I even read it.  I just figured it was "whack a mole" day and kept my head down.  Confession:  I do use Olive oil(I know, shame, shame!).  It seems to leave my leather less greasy  My father in law used tallow on his saddle since 1942 and I still have the saddle.  As usual, this is all just my two cents.  No warranty expressed or implied.

Jim

Edited by jrdunn
clarity