KelsJay

Men's wallet

I was just wanting to know what a standard men's wallet size would be good? 

That's a bit like asking what a standard ladies hairstyle is like. Anyway, my basic bifold that I sale is 4½" X 3⅝" X 1" thick  folded. Beyond that it pretty much runs the gamut. Add in trifold, truckers and different variants of all those and you can see it's pretty much subjective.

Around 4" x 3" l ike Loki74 said. 

There quite an assortment of designs too . I do try to keep them simple. A pocket out back for notes, slots for cards,  and a pocket for some coin , or a pocket for a photo with an additional slot underneath. 

HS    :) 

This is the pattern I use.  The stitching spacing is at 3mm.  

1.jpg

3.jpg

bifold.jpg

Make Supply makes templates which might be very useful if you intend to make multiple wallets of the same type.  Their site is here:  https://makesupply-leather.com/templates/free-leather-templates/

Choose a style that you like and download the template for free.  If it is something you really like, order the pre-made templates which make your life easier.

They even have videos!

Thank you guys. I'm going to go with 41/2" by 3 1/2" I'll share on here my progress :)

Start with a dollar bill and a credit card, figure you want it to hold a dozen or two of each, and build it around that. Then look at the back pocket of a pair of pants and figure you want it to fit in there. Then create some designs.

Edited by MedusaOblongata

6 hours ago, MedusaOblongata said:

Start with a dollar bill and a credit card, figure you want it to hold a dozen or two of each, and build it around that. Then look at the back pocket of a pair of pants and figure you want it to fit in there. Then create some designs.

I think this is right.  And put everything you traditionally carry in a stack on the table to help determine how many pockets you need.  I did that and decided to split up the cards into three primary batches.  One batch or stack is all of my medical stuff, insurance stuff and driver's license.  The second batch is the debit/credit cards I carry.  The other batch was small, just my Target Stores debit card and my Sam's Club ID.  Those go into a pocket along with folded bills, which honestly I carry less and less of.  I don't know about everyone else but I can go weeks without spending paper money.  Every situation is different I guess, but that's the way it works in my world.  I go to a lot of baseball games and they don't even take cast anymore.  They stopped during Covid due to the potential for contamination and never changed back.  And I'm fine with that.  (please let's not make this a political discussion.  If you prefer cash, I support your decision too)

So anyway, I sat down and looked things over and came up with my own design, one that is very minimal and serves me well.  I keep saying I'm going to redo it, that it was just a prototype, but then I look it over and it is doing fine so why bother?

It actually has one outside pocket on each side and on folded piece of extremely thin leather sandwiched in between that creates the potential for three additional pockets.  So it is two pieces of leather, two stitching lines and is holding up extremely well.  I like the patina it is developing.  When it gets scratched, a quick rub with my thumb and it disappears.

The size is 3-3/8" x 4-3/8" x 1/2" thick.  The two pockets were made via the slit method, with round punched holes at the edges to prevent tearing.  It is working just as intended.  In all, I typically have 10 cards in the wallet and whatever cash I have at the moment.  There is room to put receipts in the wallet temporarily.  I remove them when I get home or back to the office as appropriate.

I've experimented with about a dozen styles of wallet and nothing I've made or seen has been as thin, functional and durable as this one.  It has been my daily carry for 2 years now and I've no doubt it will last a decade or longer, no problem.  Probably much longer.  Hope I do!

20221028_082547.jpg

20221028_082557.jpg

20221028_082621.jpg

P.S., as a side note, after sitting in my back pocket so long, with the cards putting pressure on the card slots, the leather stretched.  The top of the wallet originally had a nice crease detail, but I took a knife and cut across the top to eliminate the convex bow in the leather that resulted from the stretching.  It is minimal now, but still somewhat evident, just a slight convex bow.  Anyway, that's why the top edges aren't currently finished.  I'll probably re-crease it and then paint the edges like it was originally, but haven't been motivated to do so to this point.  Wanted to explain why the sewed edges are painted and not the top.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:26 AM, Tugadude said:

Make Supply makes templates which might be very useful if you intend to make multiple wallets of the same type.  Their site is here:  https://makesupply-leather.com/templates/free-leather-templates/

Choose a style that you like and download the template for free.  If it is something you really like, order the pre-made templates which make your life easier.

They even have videos!

I bought this supposedly laser cut ready pat. IT IS NOT!:nono::mad:laser cut ready. The stitch holes are not round holes there just some random mark that is way to big for a stitch hole.I wrecked a piece of leather when I cut this.I contacted Makesupply  about this and never hear a word back from them.

7 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I bought this supposedly laser cut ready pat. IT IS NOT!:nono::mad:laser cut ready. The stitch holes are not round holes there just some random mark that is way to big for a stitch hole.I wrecked a piece of leather when I cut this.I contacted Makesupply  about this and never hear a word back from them.

What exactly did you buy?  The SVG file is offered free, no charge.  So is the .pdf file.  Here is what the SVG pattern looks like.  They look like round holes to me.

image.thumb.png.5027cfba4abbab81873c0735dc6d0b75.png

Thank you everyone for your input,it all helped out and I sold the wallet. All of you are awesome.