SalInRI

Bevel piece before lacing

Do you typically bevel the strap before lacing ... double loop for example ... or is it better to leave the hard edges on the strap before lacing?

Personally I wouldn’t bevel first.

I no longer lace projects, but I didn't bevel the edges when I did.

On 9/28/2022 at 10:08 AM, SalInRI said:

Do you typically bevel the strap before lacing ... double loop for example ... or is it better to leave the hard edges on the strap before lacing?

i think it depends on the size of the lace the look you want and maybe a couple more variables. something real thick with thin  lace maybe so, something real thin with thick lace maybe not.  I usually try to use a lace thickness that compliments the leather thickness so i never really thought about it much and typically don't. 

I’ve been doing this game for a while now, I believe that the reason some lace breaks is because the edge wasn’t beveled and slowly, ever so slowly, cut thru the lace. It’s a good idea for longevity of the item being built to lightly sand the edges to knock the sharpness of the 90° edge. Use like a 200 grit, and 15 seconds and you great grand children will be enjoying it

About edging your lace or called beveling your lace, does a couple of things.

1. It flattens the braide so it looks streamlined. On some areas of like Kangaroo and rawhide lacing it can be thinner but it will lock in the lace so it gets a tighter grip making it nonmovable if it gets wet. Stores do have lace that have beveled edges. Depending on the thickness, especially on rawhide braiding the thicker it is,  if flat braiding, the lacing will lay in better with its neighboring lace not having those little pooches popping out making it look tacky. Especially when doing any round braiding. 

2. Lace that has beveled edges just plain looks better and has a more professional appearance. 

That being said, most lace that is for double loop lace is already made and prepped for braiding. Kind of like rexlace. I use several different kinds for my lacing. I do use realeather lace. Its still good. However, I buy from other lace retailers that deal in kangaroo lace. But keep in mind that purchasing quality lace like kangaroo is better because its epidermal tissue tensile strength is stronger than other leathers but it sometimes will not always be prepped for the double loop lacing. So I would invest in a beveler. Then invest in a good cream for braiding to tighten the laces in the braid, make it easier on the hands, and keep the braids strong and durable over time or else they will dry out and crack and break. This in return replenishes the oils and creams and conditioners in the braids strands. 

Here are some of my favorite videos on hand made creams for lacing. These videos also include, splitting lace, beveling, and lacing. 

https://youtube.com/@gotstyledesigns

Edited by Cowboyleatherman