Gezzer

More practice ....

I got a couple of shoulders and some  and a belly in so  a little more scrap to practice on .  

IMG_1652.JPG.e12f0f731285848cf246181e9a89f210.JPG

IMG_1653.JPG.41685e955115174f12f256354633c354.JPG

IMG_1656.JPG.95af5f35d61bb18c897d7521da97f106.JPG

and the flankiest piece I have ever tried to carve , I think I kind of like the look . Wish I hadn't stained it though 

IMG_1655.JPG.c113c3ad5a5d2fa76b582a790baf7ebf.JPG

dang your getting after it!! great work indeed tooling roses are my kryptonite lol.

You should share what you used for the tooling, name brands help those just starting out

Thanks  Chuck !

Doc  I just hadn't thought of  that but  it is a great idea ! 

So here goes    :

no name ( cheap ) swivel knife with 3/8 " straight blade 

craftool B995 narrow smooth beveler

no name  Z-B701 checkered beveler   

IMG_1659.JPG

Your doing it and staying traditional. You got your Signature style going. Hold on .Your on to a wild ride. 

Edited by Stewart

Definitely on a roll there. One thing you might look into is one of the figure carving matting tools. That will fade your background out and make your flowers stand out even more.

2 hours ago, Stewart said:

Your doing it and staying traditional. You got your Signature style going. Hold on .Your on to a wild ride. 

Thanks , the only reason I'm doing it  " traditional " is I just ain't figured out the other ways yet :lol:

10 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

Definitely on a roll there. One thing you might look into is one of the figure carving matting tools. That will fade your background out and make your flowers stand out even more.

Thanks and I will look at some matting tools . Suggestions  would be welcome .

Here is the tool I was thinking of. There are 3 or 4 sizes. Obviously, this is on eBay, that was just the easiest place to find a picture of what I was referring to.

VTG Craftool Co USA Leather Tool No. F899 Checkered Matting Figure Carving Stamp | eBay

@tsunkasapa Thanks  ,  I just placed an order and  went ahead and  got the F900 . I think it may be more the size  I need .

@tsunkasapa  I am going to like this matting tool , Thank you Sir !!!!  It's surprising how it lifts the image . This is the very first practice with it so a little time to get the hang of it and it will  " up my game " as they say :thumbsup:

IMG_1694.JPG

3 hours ago, Gezzer said:

It's surprising how it lifts the image

That looks really good.  May have to add one to my collection, unless I got it in a box from @Ferg

2 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

That looks really good.  May have to add one to my collection, unless I got it in a box from @Ferg

Thank you and it amazed me , I tooled this as I always do with the checkered beveller  and then matted .  Really gives the illusion of lift :spoton:

When we do floral carving, we use backgrounders to 'put down' the background. In figure carving there often is no background, and just beveling around our object gives the impression that it is 'down in a hole'. These matting tools help feather the beveling out and give depth to our creation. 

Got a question, does figure carving mean that the stamps are super, super small because I thought I got a bunch of normal stamps off Ebay till I got the surprise when I opened the box? Like 20ish little surprises. 

Some are small, but some are quite large. If they are Tandy/Craftool they will have an 'F' and a number. And many of them don't make sense until you see how they are used. Can you post pics of what you got?

Best I could get. On the golf ball picture the beveler doesn't have a scratch it's a mistake from the paint thing trying to down size pictures.

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

Edited by Burkhardt
Noticed a mistake

19 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

Got a question, does figure carving mean that the stamps are super, super small because I thought I got a bunch of normal stamps off Ebay till I got the surprise when I opened the box? Like 20ish little surprises. 

Tandy usually made 3 sizes of most of them or there a bouts if you print the numbers then i can tell you what size you have. or you can go to their site and find out. I ma lucky enough to have kept my old Tandy catalog with life-size pictures of each lol.

I don't have a golf ball but most are 1.68 I think  so  that is what I set the caliper to .   Most of these are what I got in a beginners set  so I really don't know if " figure " tools are a different size .

IMG_1703.JPG

1 hour ago, Burkhardt said:

Best I could get. On the golf ball picture the beveler doesn't have a scratch it's a mistake from the paint thing trying to down size pictures.

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

Based on your pics, I did not see any figure carving tools. They all look like standard floral carving tools. The figure carving tools are at the top of the page.

bf82e90ed7c0d4ffe65983d97d5e493a.jpg

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

Tandy usually made 3 sizes of most of them or there a bouts if you print the numbers then i can tell you what size you have. or you can go to their site and find out. I ma lucky enough to have kept my old Tandy catalog with life-size pictures of each lol.

mules foot 858 camo 430 bevelers  894 200 203  seeder? 706  not sure what 102 1/2, 102, 631, 104, veiner 821, 406, 746 don't know 59 basket weavex500-2

I think I had a different thought of what figure stamps are (I thought small meant figure) but what in the hell are those little stamps that I got are used for?

There should be a letter before the number. The letter indicates which group the tool belongs, eg A = Backgrounders (mostly), B = Bevellers, P = Pear shaders, S = Seeders,  et cetera