RockyAussie

Handbag Hardware supplier needed.

Help, I need a new supplier for my handbag fittings and in particular the front flip lock types. My supplier in Japan has stopped making these now and I need to find some high quality replacement hardware quickly. Most of the stuff I make is high end crocodile products some of which can be seen on my Wild Harry website and in these following pictures. If you have any good contacts to share please post here or send me a message if you prefer. This is a link to my web page - Wild Harry

308144139_384085627268438_9033655476828448267_n.jpg

307210373_384089163934751_5801955092274611863_n.jpg

308076356_384086580601676_1898296709835312604_n.jpg

19 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

My supplier in Japan has stopped making these now

Can't help with a supplier but I just wanted to say those bags are damn nice.

kgg

Can't recommend a supplier, I'm also looking for quality hardware. Just had to comment to say those bags are works of art! Incredible work! :)

46 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

If you have any good contacts to share please post here or send me a message if you prefer.

I have not personally bought from these sites, but found with google search

https://emmalinebags.com/collections/bag-hardware

https://www.sewmanycreationsny.com/bag-hardware.html

https://bringberry.com/

https://www.goldstartool.com/hand-bags-accessories/

https://lsleather.com.au/collections/handbag-clasps

Ohio Travel Bag has a large selection of stuff.  I use them and Buckleguy.

Leading hardware distributor to handbag and leathercraft, repair, costume and pet supply industries since 1908. Bulk Order Discounts.

Did you find what you were looking for yet?

Thanks for the compliments on the bags everyone.

On 10/15/2022 at 12:46 PM, YinTx said:

Did you find what you were looking for yet?

I have been doing a lot of searching and have not as yet had any luck finding any reliable supplier of high quality hardware. Every thing seems to be disappearing. I am fast approaching the stage of getting some casting gear and making my own. I hate that idea as I have often had to resort to doing a broader and forever wider range of stuff to make my leather goods. I could not get any locals to cut and sand the mirrors that go into my lipstick cases and now we have to have had to do that as well. Glass sanding machinery is not that cheap.  Brass casting gear looks to be another $$$$ rabbit hole. I hope the gold and nickel plating part is not another big problem coming up.

On 9/29/2022 at 9:09 PM, PastorBob said:

Thanks for that effort @PastorBob . There were a couple of interesting finds in there. Most of them are resellers and I have found in the past that the pieces there today are not there again when you need them. Mostly the actual makers are not making a lot of pieces they were before and only want to make new products for your needs. I don't make very large numbers myself so the cost of getting the moulds made etc is not affordable. It would be good to find a collective of like minded buyers to get made a small range of fittings that suited their needs but I am not sure if that could ever happen. I may try another post to see if I can find any interest in that idea.

Maybe a crazy idea - but if you used to buy from the manufacturer, who stopped making them - what has he done with the molds? Could you possibly get hold of them?

14 hours ago, Klara said:

Maybe a crazy idea - but if you used to buy from the manufacturer, who stopped making them - what has he done with the molds? Could you possibly get hold of them?

No harm asking I guess. I am tempted to just make them up from some of their hardware I still have seeing as how they claim that they don't make them anymore. Unfortunately I think the older seniors of the place may have got to retirement age and I have a deep respect for their past work and abilities. Communication with them has been very difficult and their web page is incredibly not English friendly nor up to date in any good way. They advertise mostly to make your designs but cant come to making their old ones due to them being too difficult to make now. When it comes to them making something from your design the cost gets way high. They use a badge I designed for a customer on their blog page showing the steps involved in the making of it. We had to get a lot in one order and they cost about $30.00 each. Neither the customer or myself were asked about them showcasing it that way. I did not mind so never brought it up with them but...  This is the badge on the handbag I produced for my customer -    

DSC04525_resize.JPG

DSC04535_resize.JPG

On 10/16/2022 at 8:00 PM, RockyAussie said:

Every thing seems to be disappearing

It is.  All the quality mfr's have been priced out by low priced import junk or regulated into oblivion.  There are those that will do special order, but as you mention, small quantities may not warrant it.  Abbey England had a foundry at one point, not sure if they still do.

9 hours ago, YinTx said:

It is.  All the quality mfr's have been priced out by low priced import junk or regulated into oblivion.  There are those that will do special order, but as you mention, small quantities may not warrant it.  Abbey England had a foundry at one point, not sure if they still do.

Yeah, it's a shame they can't still dump their chrome plating waste into the city sewers. 

Sensible environmental regulation/protection coupled with the labor cost for the buffing necessary for high quality plating probably did drive the process to China, Indonesia, Mexico, Russia or any of the rest of the countries with low labor costs and non existent environmental protection.

10 hours ago, YinTx said:

I think they are but have just messaged them to see, i have used them for certain things and was happy with the quality of the products but not cheap though. But as the saying goes you get what you pay for, i use their standard Head Collar fitting and their Foundry made ones the quality is like night and day sadly though most customers cant tell the difference all they see is the cheaper option.

Hope this helps

JCUK

57 minutes ago, sbrownn said:

Yeah, it's a shame they can't still dump their chrome plating waste into the city sewers. 

Sensible environmental regulation/protection coupled with the labor cost for the buffing necessary for high quality plating probably did drive the process to China, Indonesia, Mexico, Russia or any of the rest of the countries with low labor costs and non existent environmental protection.

I have worked in industry long enough to understand what is sensible and what is not.  Sensible regulations allow industry to function while protecting the environment, workers and consumers.  What we have leads to tragedy of the commons.   The environment, workers and consumers are suffering the consequences.

Abbey England have just got back and said yes their Foundry is still up and running.