figthnbullrider

saddle tacks

www.panhandleleather.com get the number off the website and ask for Jim Blain Kenney. They will have whatever weight you need.

By Blue saddle tacks do you mean blued cut tacks. If so, just about any hardware store should carry them in various lengths. I'd give the local Home depot or similar chain a look. Upholsterer/motor trimmer suppliers would have them too.

Barra

I havn't used blue tacks for about 20 years.

I use a stainless steel ring nail ..5/8 or 1" . These are the same tacks that I uese when rawhiding a tree. . They have far better holding power plus they don't stain your leather.

I use brass tacks on occasion.

Edited by AndyKnight

I use a stainless steel ring nail ..5/8 or 1" . These are the same tacks that I uese when rawhiding a tree. . They have far better holding power plus they don't stain your leather.

where do you get those at

do they discolor the leather

I, like Andy, use stainless ring shank nails to nail rawhide to my trees. I use them sparingly in saddle construction though, because once you get them started they ain't comin' out. I use them in places that will never show, but I don't think you will have a problem with discoloration. They are made by Swan Secure for the marine industry and I get mine through a dealer in Louisiana. Give Albert Bordes a call at 504-756-6441 and he will fix you up. Keep in mind these ain't cheap and you will probably have to by a ten pound box of them.

Jon

I use the SS nails too. A local big hardware store used to have a pretty complete line of SS nails, but was bought out and dropped them. I get them now from Sheridan Leather Outfitters. They sell SS nails by the pound. I have ring shank and twistshanks in a couple lengths, and am thinking I still have some smooth ones left over too. Any other sources I found were 5 or 10# minimums.

Anyone got a source for SS hand shoe tacks? We use SS ring shank nails for the trees as well (you're right - they don't come out easy), but haven't found a supplier for the tacks we use when holding the rawhide in place prior to stitching. The steel ones we currently use sometimes discolor the rawhide. We wouldn't need a lot since they are reused a number of times.

Anyone got a source for SS hand shoe tacks? We use SS ring shank nails for the trees as well (you're right - they don't come out easy), but haven't found a supplier for the tacks we use when holding the rawhide in place prior to stitching. The steel ones we currently use sometimes discolor the rawhide. We wouldn't need a lot since they are reused a number of times.

Rod Weaver has brass lace tacks if you can't find stainless. Greg

Denise,

Are you talking about the SS nails to nail Heel Caps on. I have a place here in Kansas City where I buy them they are 1 inch. Let me know and I will do some checking for you.

Ashley

I am curious as to whether anyone still uses the cut tacks at least as a temporary hold while they adjust things or while you stand back and use the calibrated eyeball until you are happy with final fit, as they are easy to shift/remove. When happy do you then use the ring shank nails etc.

Barra

Edited by barra

This is late, I know but cut blues for fitting and roughing (anything that has a chance of being pulled and reset) then #6 X appropriate length (3/4 to 1 1/2) coarse thread ph construction screws for finalization except cement coated nails (any good hdwe store) on top of skirts and a few other places.