MegKel

Joe Meling drawing course or Don Gonzalez drawing Ebook/course?

Hello!

I'm new to leatherworking and am wanting to learn to draw my own designs. Can anyone speak to either Joe Meling's drawing fundamentals course or Don Gonzalez's ebook/course? I see Don's is specifically about Sheridan style floral designs, but didn't know if there was enough good info in there to take for just design work in general. 

Thanks! 

I can't speak to either of their courses. I did order a pattern "e-book" from Joe Meling, though, and thought it was pretty skimpy for the price. I think his youtube videos are good and he seems like a good teacher but that pattern book was mighty skimpy.

1 hour ago, Loki74 said:

I can't speak to either of their courses. I did order a pattern "e-book" from Joe Meling, though, and thought it was pretty skimpy for the price. I think his youtube videos are good and he seems like a good teacher but that pattern book was mighty skimpy.

Thanks for the feedback!

Meling's seemed more encompassing as far as not being about just floral designwork, but that does give me pause if the ebook was skimping (and Meling's is the more expensive of the 2)

I've perused both men's free videos i think that is where i would start, getting a feel for each style of design work and see which trips your interests most. 

I purchased Don Gonzales's Introduction to Leather Floral Design eBook for $20. While it is not bad, he has a YouTube video that covers the exact same information.

I purchased the video version of Don Gonzales floral layout class during a sale a year ago. Because of the sale and the content, to me it was a very good value. You also need to consider the type of content. If you are looking for a course that teaches "how to draw" then Don's course is not likely what you want. If you want to learn how to layout Sheridan Style drawings, how to make the design flow well from one circle to another, etc., then Don's course is well worth it at any price.

I have watched most of Joe's videos as well, and I like his teaching style. But at the time I was interested in Sheridan Style tooling (still am) so I went with Don's course. I have no regrets and would do it again.

Hope this helps.

Edited by sparctek
corrected course title

On 9/30/2022 at 7:31 PM, GatoGordo said:

I purchased Don Gonzales's Introduction to Leather Floral Design eBook for $20. While it is not bad, he has a YouTube video that covers the exact same information.

Okay, thank you for saving me the $20! :lol:

On 10/1/2022 at 10:08 AM, sparctek said:

I purchased the video version of Don Gonzales floral layout class during a sale a year ago. Because of the sale and the content, to me it was a very good value. You also need to consider the type of content. If you are looking for a course that teaches "how to draw" then Don's course is not likely what you want. If you want to learn how to layout Sheridan Style drawings, how to make the design flow well from one circle to another, etc., then Don's course is well worth it at any price.

I have watched most of Joe's videos as well, and I like his teaching style. But at the time I was interested in Sheridan Style tooling (still am) so I went with Don's course. I have no regrets and would do it again.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the feedback! It did help

I've learned all this stuff from youtube videos. But it's hard to call only one channel if you're still interested in it  - I can do a list. I also have some books with a theory, but to me, it's better to try everything and learn in process of creating. It's a bit expensive at the point of materials because I got a lot of unsuccessful work, but it is worth it. To me, such a way is the most effective, I realized it in my college times. But you choose what is better especially for you.

On 3/20/2023 at 3:23 PM, Atitter said:

I've learned all this stuff from youtube videos. But it's hard to call only one channel if you're still interested in it  - I can do a list. I also have some books with a theory, but to me, it's better to try everything and learn in process of creating. It's a bit expensive at the point of materials because I got a lot of unsuccessful work, but it is worth it. To me, such a way is the most effective, and also using materials on this page, I realized it in my college times. But you choose what is better, especially for you.

Also, Don Gonzales might be a nice one for you