DwightT

Finishing chrometan

I haven't really worked with chrometan leather before, but recently I picked up a side at the local Tandy store for a good price.  My wife and I are looking at a couple projects, and she noticed that it scratches or scuffs easily.  As an experiment I cut off a small chunk, scuffed it with my fingernail, then applied some Neat-Lac to it.  It seems to have taken out that scuff mark, and now it doesn't seem to scuff as easily.

So, is there any reason to not use Neat-Lac on chrometan?  Or I guess more to the point, what is the preferred way to finish chrometan?

Thanks

/dwight

I don't use anything to 'finish' it. I use just as it is, other than a bit of saddle soap on the edges.

Most of the chrome tan I use is finished/surface treated/coated when I buy it so I don't do anything to it except maybe Tokonole on the edges. But if you have good results with Neat-Lac on your leather, I see no reason not to use it.

Thanks.  It just seemed "wrong" to not do something to seal the leather like I've always done with veg-tan, but I think we'll take your advise and just leave it be.  The scuff marks don't really seem to hurt anything, so we just won't worry about them. 

/dwight

22 hours ago, DwightT said:

I haven't really worked with chrometan leather before, but recently I picked up a side at the local Tandy store for a good price.  My wife and I are looking at a couple projects, and she noticed that it scratches or scuffs easily.  As an experiment I cut off a small chunk, scuffed it with my fingernail, then applied some Neat-Lac to it.  It seems to have taken out that scuff mark, and now it doesn't seem to scuff as easily.

I'm a little concerned about what you bought. It sounds like it has a cheap sprayed on top finish. All the chrome tan I use, and I do use a lot, is dyed thru and will not scuff at all, one of the main reasons I use it on certain projects. Certain areas on the projects will buff a bit through wear on that area, but that's after several years of use.

You say Neat-lac took 'out that scuff mark and it doesn't seem to scuff as easily'. The Neat-lac is giving a harder top surface but the problem of the weaker top finish is still there.

I would try to remove that weak old top coating and put a totally new top finish on the leather. To remove top finishes on dyed/finished chrome tan I use cellulose thinners, aka lacquer thinners. Then I can re-dye and refinish

These hats are made with chrome tan. I have several Kilos of it brown but I wanted some hats in black. I did as above and re-dyed in black with several coats of black resolene to seal it 

In the brown chrome tan;

Basic hat, #4s.jpg

In black, from the same stock of chrome tan

Basic hat, #3 - Cropped.jpg

Just my $1 (inflation!) on it 

I make my black powder shooting bags from CT. They take a fair bit of abuse in the field and hold up well.

IMG_20200321_162601_2aaa.jpg

IMG_20200321_162627aaa.jpg

IMG_20201105_190946aaa.jpg

On 10/1/2022 at 8:53 AM, DwightT said:

then applied some Neat-Lac to it

You have 'Neat Lac ' ?? 

HS

12 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

I make my black powder shooting bags from CT. They take a fair bit of abuse in the field and hold up well.

Good looking bags!  I especially like the tulips.  Is it correct that chrome tan is stronger than veg tan with respect to tearing and seams ripping out?

2 hours ago, TomE said:

Good looking bags!  I especially like the tulips.  Is it correct that chrome tan is stronger than veg tan with respect to tearing and seams ripping out?

I can't speak to that. But the next bag I make, for my newest rifle, will be from milled veg tan.

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

You have 'Neat Lac ' ?? 

HS

It is available again from Tandy but it is an acrylic finish now, not the neat lac of old. I have most of an old quart of what replaced neat lac and it seems to be identical to the discontinued stuff and it is no longer available.

Edited by doubleh

4 hours ago, TomE said:

. . .   Is it correct that chrome tan is stronger than veg tan with respect to tearing and seams ripping out?

Its not something I really looked for. But my 1.5mm thick c/t is harder to hand sew than 1.5 or even some 2mm veg. On these I use a glovers needle and just sew with no pre-made holes

In my experience it depends on the project and the look you are after. I used a lot of acrylic finishes on chrome tan. Diluted Future floor finish, Super sheen, but Fiebings leather Sheen mostly. For coasters and placemats it gave them some measure of water and stain resistance. Stuff like that I did several light coats (like maybe 6 -10). On gussets that I wanted a little body I used it on both sides. I also used it as a base coat to firm up and lay down fibers for slicking edges on chrometan. Apply and let dry, sand lightly, maybe another application if I felt like it needed it. Then went to my wax of choice. If I dyed the edge I did that first and maybe second dye step after sanding. 

21 hours ago, fredk said:

I'm a little concerned about what you bought. It sounds like it has a cheap sprayed on top finish.

Well, as I said I've never really worked with CT before, so I'm probably just over-thinking the problem, which isn't really a problem at all.  It does seem to scuff, but then the scuff marks can be rubbed out fairly easily.  For where we are planning on using it, the scuffs won't really be an issue anyway.

BTW: I love your hats.

10 hours ago, Handstitched said:

You have 'Neat Lac ' ??

Yeah, I still have about 6oz or so of the old Neat Lac left.  Until it was mentioned here I didn't even realize that the Neat Lac that is now available isn't the same stuff.  Was there an issue with the old formula?

/dwight

There are many different chrome tan finishes and they'll all respond differently. First thing is to run a scrap piece under the sink. If water absorbs into it then it needs a coating. If water rolls off then a coating would just be cosmetic. I'll often test a small piece of each new leather with resolene and Tan Kote, then see which I like better for that leather. Some chrome tans are designed to scuff easily in order to show wear and develop character; this doesn't weaken them, it's just cosmetic, but many like that look.