AndrewWR

Kangaroo skin bag

I recently blew my allowance on some 1.5mm thick kangaroo leather. According to the hype, K-leather is 10 times as strong as cow hide. It's certainly nice to work with: supple but not stretchy (like goat or pig) and it cuts easily. 

I decided to make a messenger bag out of it.

166955777_20221001_152856(Large).thumb.jpg.fd5fb3cd7325639bdebad547a33e0606.jpg1108291565_20221001_152947(Large).thumb.jpg.66c2636d39cf454b8981ce2ec81a65df.jpg

In total it's got 7 compartments: The main space is 35cmx25cmx7.5cm (14"x10"x3"), front and back are two full sized pockets that'll each take a 13" laptop comfortably. The front one of those pockets has a press stud closing flap that also secures two nested smaller pockets (Keeping the press stud hardware out of the laptop space) and the rear laptop pocket has its own separately press stud flapped "medication pocket" (For my diabetes meds - Best to always know where they are). Lastly, the flap has a large, zippered pocket that can be accessed without opening the main bag. 

The strap is bridle hide, not kangaroo, because kangaroo hides are small and a decent length cross body strap would be a patchwork of pieces.  This strap is on quick release Loxx fasteners that also allow 360 degree swiveling. The strap isn't adjustable because I know the perfect length for me (from my camera bag strap), but being quick release, another strap is always an option.

1721634064_20221001_000627(Large).thumb.jpg.838e5ae4962df19e589e8758e8eb0e8d.jpg

FYI: Stitch count is approximately 3000 @ 3mm pitch, hand sewn.

Looks great.  Must have taken a while to do those 3000 stitches by hand.  My hands probably would have cramped up multiple times over.

/dwight

That looks very nicey indeedy

Your design sounds like the style of bag I'm supposed to be making for no.1 dottir

Where did you get the kangaroo hide from?

12 hours ago, fredk said:

That looks very nicey indeedy

Your design sounds like the style of bag I'm supposed to be making for no.1 dottir

Where did you get the kangaroo hide from?

Hi @fredk

I got the kangaroo leather from Identity Leather, based in Matlock, Derbyshire. It comes in undyed or black. Fair warning, it's sold primarily for falconry goods, so the finish is less important than the strength. Best to tell them what you want it for before ordering, so they can find you the most appropriate (least blemished) skin. It is also very pricey. That messenger bag used £300 of materials. About ten times what it would have cost in Pittards heavyweight goat skin.

That's a handsome bag!  I do a lot of strapwork with bridle leather.  My favorite edge treatment is burnishing with canvas and sealing with beeswax using a heated edge iron.  Adding a crease line will also dress up a strap.  Thinking about trying kangaroo for padded liners on halters and bridles.  I like the design of your bag.

@AndrewWR thank you. 

I'm waiting on an investment dividend to be paid and I might buy some of this 'ere Kanga hide

What ever would Poo think!

20 minutes ago, TomE said:

That's a handsome bag!  I do a lot of strapwork with bridle leather.  My favorite edge treatment is burnishing with canvas and sealing with beeswax using a heated edge iron.  Adding a crease line will also dress up a strap.  Thinking about trying kangaroo for padded liners on halters and bridles.  I like the design of your bag.

@TomEIf you're making horse tack commercially, just remember that you can't sell kangaroo leather in California. they got a rule 'gainst it. Edging: I've used beeswax to burnish a lot of bridle leather but for this I'm using black Tokenole because I want to try out how resilient it is as a finish. I haven't put any edge crease on this strap yet because I may line it if it proves too slippy on my shoulder, in which case it'll get a stitch line instead. But if I don't line it, it'll either get a crease or some broguing.

@AndrewWR, makes sense. I’ll be interested to know how the Tokenole holds up. Did not know about the kangaroos in CA.  Chrome tanned cow hide seems perfectly adequate for liners although I did plan to use kangaroo lace for laced reins. 

42 minutes ago, TomE said:

@AndrewWR, makes sense. I’ll be interested to know how the Tokenole holds up. Did not know about the kangaroos in CA.  Chrome tanned cow hide seems perfectly adequate for liners although I did plan to use kangaroo lace for laced reins. 

I haven't found anything yet that "holds up" over the long term and I've tried about everything but I haven't tried the ironed in hot beeswax so thanks for the tip.

that is some nice work indeed and a lot of sewing time lol. 

You make the most classy stuff sir, it is a pleasure to see it!

Thats some nice work there, i have used and still have some Kangaroo leather which i got from Packers who are in Australia and yes its is as tough as old boots and great to work with great for putting patches on worn parts of saddles holds up really well, did you buy the hole hide from Identity. 

One thing i do hope though that it is not Skippy.

JCUK

5 hours ago, jcuk said:

. . .

. . .

I hope it is!    :P

7 hours ago, jcuk said:

Thats some nice work there, i have used and still have some Kangaroo leather which i got from Packers who are in Australia and yes its is as tough as old boots and great to work with great for putting patches on worn parts of saddles holds up really well, did you buy the hole hide from Identity. 

JCUK

@jcukThe whole hide wasn't enough. I ended up ordering a second one. They're Packers hides too.

I don't know if one of them is a 'celebrity' hide but my coffee shop pals have nicknamed this bag the Joey Pouch.