Just finished my first 3D printed inlay for my guitar strap.  The inlays are set into a debossed pattern on the guitar strap.

The inlays are based on the New Mexico Zia and the design of the torch from the Preston Thompson guitars. 

Strap Inlay.jpg

Wow!  That looks super clean.  Very eye catching!

Thanks. 

For anyone interested the parts were printed with a 0.2mm nozzle and are 0.02" thick.  The clearance between the inlays and the outer parts is 0.017". 

I wish there were some other materials in a wide array of colors that could be 3D printed besides plastic but for now I'm just experimenting with the technique.

You can 3D print with metals. I've seen aluminium and brass

1 minute ago, fredk said:

You can 3D print with metals. I've seen aluminium and brass

Yes, I've done some printing with copper.  The problem for me is that there are some additional tools and work needed to make it actually look like metal.  Most of the metal filaments are about 60% plastic and 40% metal so you have to burn out the plastic in a furnace and then you have to sand and polish the remaining metal otherwise it doesn't look much different from plastic.  I tried finishing some copper pieces without burning out the plastic but found the work necessary to bring them to a shine was really time consuming and maybe not even possible with so much plastic still there.  I didn't try an orbital sander but that might be a possibility.

Very nice !!!   I admire anyone who does the 3D printing , I only wish I knew how ................. I would be DANGEROUS:lol:

14 minutes ago, Gezzer said:

Very nice !!!   I admire anyone who does the 3D printing , I only wish I knew how ................. I would be DANGEROUS:lol:

Well actually the 3D printing itself is pretty simple as the machine is easy to operate once you have made the file for it to read.  Making the file is a little more complicated but nothing you couldn't learn in a few days.  I think Fusion 360 is a free program and although I use SolidWorks I think they are pretty similar.  I taught CAD design in a University engineering program so I did have a leg up in that aspect.

2 hours ago, sbrownn said:

but nothing you couldn't learn in a few days.  

You Sir are an optimist  , I am computer illiterate for the most part .  I will look at the Fusion program as the son-in-law is versed in computer speak and might be willing to take on the task of " teaching " me . 

Thanks

Very impressive! Regarding removing the plastic from around the copper, what about soaking it in acetone to dissolve the plastic?

The chap I was talking to who showed me the metal parts soaked the parts in cellulose thinners. He did not explain why though. But that might have been to dissolve the plastic

1 hour ago, fredk said:

The chap I was talking to who showed me the metal parts soaked the parts in cellulose thinners. He did not explain why though. But that might have been to dissolve the plastic

I'm not sure what the plastic is but if it's PLA then acetone won't dissolve it.  In addition, the heating in the muffle furnace fuses the metal together.

In any event I don't have a muffle furnace so it's moot for now.

I have no idea how this is done but it looks good to me. The Zuni's and the state of NM got into a flap about the use of the sun sign several years ago. I guess everything is cool now as the state is still using it.

4 hours ago, doubleh said:

I have no idea how this is done but it looks good to me. The Zuni's and the state of NM got into a flap about the use of the sun sign several years ago. I guess everything is cool now as the state is still using it.

Didn't know that but since it's not something I'm selling it's probably not an issue for me anyway.

On 10/3/2022 at 10:01 AM, Gezzer said:

You Sir are an optimist  , I am computer illiterate for the most part .  I will look at the Fusion program as the son-in-law is versed in computer speak and might be willing to take on the task of " teaching " me . 

Thanks

Here is a link to an instructional book.  I haven't done this particular book but I have found that the step by step instruction books are the quickest and easiest ways to learn CAD.

Once you download and install the program you could just purchase the book and give it a try.  It all really depends on whether or not you enjoy the process.  The designs like I created are really quite simple to do and even the most basic books would give you the skills to do them.  After that it is simply a matter of saving your file in a format the printer can read (STL) which involves just the push of a button, and then giving it to your printer to read...presto...it makes the part.  The parts I used in my project took less than 5 minutes to print.  

@sbrownn  See .... I can't even find the link :lol:

2 hours ago, Gezzer said:

@sbrownn  See .... I can't even find the link :lol:

Well...that's probably because I screwed up and failed to post it.  My fault, not yours.  

https://www.amazon.com/Autodesk-Fusion-360-Beginners-Modeling/dp/1086599500/ref=asc_df_1086599500?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79989588513703&hvnetw=&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583589115045215&psc=1

Thanks man !!  I'll admit to having a little fun there . That is reasonable enough  !  Thanks again !

Edited by Gezzer

4 hours ago, sbrownn said:

Didn't know that but since it's not something I'm selling it's probably not an issue for me anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it. You can find a lot of things for sale with the sun sign sun sign on them that the Zuni's had nothing to do with. I am not a lawyer but would believe that it would be considered in the public domain as long as it has been in  use with no hullabloo from the tribe. They probably were dissatisfied with the state about something and just wanted to twist the government's tail a little or thought they might prize some money out of them. NM became a state in 1912 and the flag has always had that sign right in the middle of it.

Edited by doubleh

5 minutes ago, doubleh said:

I wouldn't worry about it. You can find a lot of things for sale with the sun sign sun sign on them that the Zuni's had nothing to do with. I am not a lawyer but would believe that it would be considered in the public domain as long as it has been in  use with no hullabloo from the tribe. They probably were dissatisfied with the state about something and just wanted to twist the government's tail a little or thought they might prize some money out of them. NM became a state in 1912 and the flag has always had that sign right in the middle of it.

Yeah,  I agree and I don't even blame the tribe all things considered.

Nicely done. 

7 hours ago, JWheeler331 said:

Nicely done. 

thanks

On 10/4/2022 at 12:20 PM, sbrownn said:

I'm not sure what the plastic is but if it's PLA then acetone won't dissolve it.  In addition, the heating in the muffle furnace fuses the metal together.

In any event I don't have a muffle furnace so it's moot for now.

I've used acetone to smooth out printed parts (which is why I suggested it).:dunno:

I had to look up "muffle furnace" as I hadn't heard of that before. It would be a pretty delicate job fusing copper together without it melting into a blob!