chris032188

3d printed templates

I am new into the leather working, but some of the basic stuff I will be making 3d printed template (fusion360) would these templates be something people on here would be interested in>

More information required

what are the templets made out of , pictures of a templet  pricing ??????

There is a niche market for acrylic templates for such items and I do not know why 3D printed templates wouldn't work. You would need to use ABS filament for your templates to be durable and withstand a lot of use. I do not think that PLA would work very well - PETG would be better than PLA, but not near as good as ABS. I have downloaded several leather template .stl files from Thingiverse and Printables and print them with PETG - they do work for my limited use

tbh, laser cut templates out of acrylic plastic are superior. I've had a few made for me and I've bought a few. Made in 3mm thick clear acrylic plastic. 3mm is thick enough and being clear I can see just where I'm positioning them

5 hours ago, fredk said:

tbh, laser cut templates out of acrylic plastic are superior. I've had a few made for me and I've bought a few. Made in 3mm thick clear acrylic plastic. 3mm is thick enough and being clear I can see just where I'm positioning them

Agree with Fredk also 3D Printing is time consuming you can probably make multi numbers of Laser cut templates in the time on making one 3D print

The time is not really a factor. A wee set of 28mm D&D figures took nearly 3 hours to print but I'm not sitting over the printer watching it.

One problem I envisage and have come across is that flat items can warp and twist. The larger the flat area the more likely and more severe the warping. A warped template would be hard to hold down

I agree with Fred. I have made a full drawer of acrylic templates which only take a few minutes to vector cut along with a cut-out for the maker's mark stamp placement and stitch holes if necessary.

My favorite part of the acrylic is that it's transparent and allows me to perfectly center on patterned material (gator) or engrave marks (like an acrylic ruler) for quickly sizing bracelet lengths on a single pattern.

Edges are smooth as glass and don't have problems with the knife gouging into it. I've also made stamps out of the 3mm acrylic which took about 15 min. 

Edited by Nikos69