BadToneLeather

10oz Kangaroo Leather?

Greetings,

looking to source some heavy-duty leather for exotic animal leashes and collars. Do they make Kangaroo hides in heavy weights around 10oz? If so please provide the name of the supplier. If not, what would you recommend for a strong, supple leather? 

Thanks 

No expert here, but from what I've read here and elsewhere, kangaroo hides are commonly much thinner that cow and other animals, but you get the same or even more tensile strength anyway.  A quick search yielded one site offering "extra heavyweight" kangaroo at 1.2mm, which is 3 oz.  

If you desire 10 oz. for its thickness, you can always do layers of kangaroo, but you might not want to do all of that stitching.  

If I were making a dog leash, I'd be looking for quality latigo, which offers a lot of strength as well as moisture-resistance.

Good luck!

I don't think you will find kangaroo leather anywhere close to 10 oz. All of the kangaroo I have seen is much lighter, 3 oz or less. Stacking kangaroo wouldn't be very cost effective.  If you want to use kangaroo why not use a veg tan base and cover it with kangaroo. I have made several dog collars with an exotic outside and always use a veg tan base. My labs wore their collars for many years with no issues. One was elephant and the other was shark.

If you are needing leather that is water resistant bridle leather works well or as mentioned a latigo.

On 10/2/2022 at 11:47 PM, BadToneLeather said:

Greetings,

looking to source some heavy-duty leather for exotic animal leashes and collars. Do they make Kangaroo hides in heavy weights around 10oz? If so please provide the name of the supplier. If not, what would you recommend for a strong, supple leather? 

Thanks 

No one "makes" leather. 

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

No one "makes" leather. 

No one makes hides but indeed Tanneries do turn raw hides into "leather".

26 minutes ago, sbrownn said:

No one makes hides but indeed Tanneries do turn raw hides into "leather".

yup that's how its done! amazing isn't it.

8 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

yup that's how its done! amazing isn't it.

Cattle makes hides.  DUH.   Although occasionally another imposter animal will make 'em too.

Just sayin'

- Bill

6 minutes ago, billybopp said:

Cattle makes hides.  DUH.   Although occasionally another imposter animal will make 'em too.

Just sayin'

- Bill

i made a hide but you cant have it yet I'm still usin it lol.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:47 PM, BadToneLeather said:

Do they make Kangaroo hides in heavy weights around 10oz?

I am very late to this chat, but I can say for certain that roo hides are around 0.8 - 1mm thickness. I have quite a lot  of them . Not sure where you get roo hides where you are though :dunno:

I get mine from Queensland Australia .

HS

I'm thinking I can make a leash and collar out of cow hide that won't break with the amount of force a person can exert on the end of a leash.  If you're tying the animal then I would want it to break at some point or risk injury to the animal's back or neck.  At least that's how we think about leather horse tack.

10 ounces??  That's a very small Kangaroo!