JimKing

Conditioner for Veg Tan Leather

I am looking for recommendations for a quality conditioner for veg tan leather. I will be using it on natural soft veg tan double shoulder 3-4 oz and natural veg tan double shoulder 8-9 oz tooling leather, both from Weaver. I would like to use an all-natural conditioner free of harsh chemicals. 

I am brand new to working with leather, so I am a complete novice.

Another question is, should I condition the leather before final assembly? I plan to make handbags and other such items.

A member posted this up; 

I have not used it so cannot vouch for it

I think the above recipe is a good place to start. It is easier for me to make my own  than run to the store or wait for a shipment. I think it takes plenty of reading and playing around to get what works for you.

I've tried lots of things but these days the only thing I put on leather is Skidmore's Leather Cream.

My favorite conditioners are Fiebings Aussie and Effax Leder Balsam, which are both balm type conditioners that don't darken the leather.  The Aussie conditioner is a bit more waxy than Leder Balsam, which soaks in faster.   Bick 4 and Blackrock Leather N' Rich are also good but I see some change in color. 

Most ready bought conditioners will have some form of chemicals, preservatives if nothing else. Below a certain percent, I heard that manufacturers are not expected to report it, but not sure if that is correct.

Conditioners with waxes and oils usually darken leather, so just check on a scrap first. Conditioners which are water based like the one by Chemical Guys, do not darken but need more frequent conditioning. 

Aussie is a conditioner that does not darken but I find that it makes my leather dull, no matter how much I buff it. But many like it so it might work for you. 

Edited by SUP