DHauser

Good single bevel/edge round knife

Ive been a leathersmith for a while and do pure custom (one off) pieces. Due to my process and techniques I am looking for a round knife sharpened on one side and purely flat on the other, I wish to be able to place it against a straight edge to cut laminated oil tanned leathers for varying distances. I currently am using a Olfa 60mm rotary knife but just not what I am looking for. As I am finishing the laminated edges with Italian Edge Paint I need to get a perfect flat flush cut. Beleive me, I have tried every technique possible and have arrived at what I do. I have good skiving knives and a single Osborne round knife (along with the Olfa). Anybody have any suggestions?  Thanks, Dave

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/pfeil-swiss-made-right-handed-marking-knife

Marking knives are the most accurate way to mark lines for fine joinery layout work. The flat steel blades on these knives are beveled on only one side so you can mark tight against your straight edge. These knives feature a K720 steel blade with a beautiful Bubinga handle that fits snug in your hand for easy gripping and control. Blade is 3/4” wide and 1- 7/8” long; overall length is 6”.

This is a Pfeil brand knife and will be scary sharp out of the box.

As with JB Bodger I would have thought that some kind of marking knife or kiridashi would do the job. The link refers to a British supplier, but it shows the sort of thing to look for; I'm sure you can find an American supplier. I have made my own from a piece of 25mm industrial hacksaw blade

https://www.workshopheaven.com/hand-tools/knives/marking-knives/

Search YouTube for 'kiridashi' to see more examples 

I know that some of the members of this forum make knives; perhaps if you posted a request someone could make what you want?

Edited by zuludog

7 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

IMG_0383.jpg

Just got this blade in the mail today from @chuck123wapati that is completely flat on one side and cut's like butter through leather. Look him up.

Fine looking knife!  Nice work @chuck123wapati

7 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

IMG_0383.jpg

Just got this blade in the mail today from @chuck123wapati that is completely flat on one side and cut's like butter through leather. Look him up.

thank you I'm very glad you like it. They do cut nice.

Just now, PastorBob said:

Fine looking knife!  Nice work @chuck123wapati

Thank you Pastor. 

I really like @chuck123wapati's knife but I'm confused about using it for long straight cuts.  Based on my experience with a single bevel plough knife I'd expect the blade to track away from the bevel.  I use a traditional round knife for long straight cuts when squaring up hides.  This looks like a pattern knife or skiving knife for fine work.  Interested in learning more about this.

First off, love the chuck123wapati! May have to have one just for the hell of it. I appreciate everyones input. I have looked at the knives you have suggested but still feel that a round knife is what I am looking for. I know these others are sharp as hell (see attached pic of a mod I did) I just like that a round knife , when rotated vertically, slices the multiple layers of leather similar to a paper cutter or a rotary knife. I may try one of these suggested and see how it does. Frictionless is the key (although impossible I know). I normally use a number 11 surgical xacto blade for most of my fine cutting but that even still has a bit too much friction for me. I wish I could find a good, thick blade, round knife with only one sharpened/beveled edge. I may have to buy a good thick bladed one and grind/sharpen/polish it myself.

Anyway, the pic below is of a fairly decent Diudus that I got off of Amazon. It was originally a perfectly straight edge but I find that its easier to skive and finely trim with the blade slightly curved on the one side. Please, keep the suggestions coming!

603617878_DiudusKnifemodified2.jpg.627054ee01683cfead8595aab0b1dbce.jpg

I've just Searched the Net for 'custom knife makers usa' and there are loads of references; I'm sure you could find someone who would make exactly what you want.

Or ask the same question on a knife making forum 

Edited by zuludog

4 hours ago, TomE said:

I really like @chuck123wapati's knife but I'm confused about using it for long straight cuts.  Based on my experience with a single bevel plough knife I'd expect the blade to track away from the bevel.  I use a traditional round knife for long straight cuts when squaring up hides.  This looks like a pattern knife or skiving knife for fine work.  Interested in learning more about this.

they work fine for straight cuts, i have been using one slightly larger but with a straight blade for a year or so and haven't picked up my round knife since.

2 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

they work fine for straight cuts, i have been using one slightly larger but with a straight blade for a year or so and haven't picked up my round knife since.

Thanks for the info.  Looks like a very handy tool.  Nicely finished too.

1 hour ago, DHauser said:

First off, love the chuck123wapati! May have to have one just for the hell of it. I appreciate everyones input. I have looked at the knives you have suggested but still feel that a round knife is what I am looking for. I know these others are sharp as hell (see attached pic of a mod I did) I just like that a round knife , when rotated vertically, slices the multiple layers of leather similar to a paper cutter or a rotary knife. I may try one of these suggested and see how it does. Frictionless is the key (although impossible I know). I normally use a number 11 surgical xacto blade for most of my fine cutting but that even still has a bit too much friction for me. I wish I could find a good, thick blade, round knife with only one sharpened/beveled edge. I may have to buy a good thick bladed one and grind/sharpen/polish it myself.

Anyway, the pic below is of a fairly decent Diudus that I got off of Amazon. It was originally a perfectly straight edge but I find that its easier to skive and finely trim with the blade slightly curved on the one side. Please, keep the suggestions coming!

603617878_DiudusKnifemodified2.jpg.627054ee01683cfead8595aab0b1dbce.jpg

if your still looking after hunting season(November) let me know, i can make what ever you dream up. I'm strapped until then I have a few projects on the bench i have to finish lol.

This knife is called a "crease" on the English version of Vergez-Blanchard's website.

11 minutes ago, TomE said:

This knife is called a "crease" on the English version of Vergez-Blanchard's website.

That’s one I want. 

Hmmm, much to think about, thanks all! Ive been considering the custom route (used to run a high end knife shop) so thats always an option. To chuck123wapati: I'll keep that in mind. I most certainly get the "few projects on the bench"! Man, some folks just dont understand the time involved in this stuff. I may buy a cheaper round knife I can modify to get my idea right then Ill look at some "pretty stuff". You guys are the bomb. Thanks.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:46 PM, DHauser said:

Ive been a leathersmith for a while and do pure custom (one off) pieces. Due to my process and techniques I am looking for a round knife sharpened on one side and purely flat on the other, I wish to be able to place it against a straight edge to cut laminated oil tanned leathers for varying distances. I currently am using a Olfa 60mm rotary knife but just not what I am looking for. As I am finishing the laminated edges with Italian Edge Paint I need to get a perfect flat flush cut. Beleive me, I have tried every technique possible and have arrived at what I do. I have good skiving knives and a single Osborne round knife (along with the Olfa). Anybody have any suggestions?  Thanks, Dave

If you can get by without a round knife there are lot's of single bevel knives out there in both left and right hand configurations.

13 hours ago, TomE said:

The blade is all of a 1/8th thick and that's the reason I went with @chuck123wapati because I am much more comfortable pushing rather than pulling and on a straight edge there's so much control with the overall low profile I'm happier I went with this vs a round knife.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:46 PM, DHauser said:

Actually...I read on one of the tool websites that the bevel goes towards the straight edge to compensate for the angle of the wrist when cutting.  When I experimented I found the statement to be true for me.

While this is a kitchen knife it  might could be modified to  serve your use .  The steel in this one will sharpen up nicely and holds an edge in " kitchen " use , I don't have a clue how well it would fair in leather . It is kind of round  and bevel on one side other side flat ...... just a thought .

Good luck on finding what you need .

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1685.JPG

14 hours ago, TomE said:

This knife is called a "crease" on the English version of Vergez-Blanchard's website

I have a cheap version of this - which I know in English as head knife - (without an edge on the inside od the point) and it has a double bevel (like the one in the video,  IMHO). The blade is just relatively thin, so the double bevel (or would you simply call it edge?) doesn't show a lot. But I sharpen the edge at an angle on both sides.

That said, I don't see any need for a round knife - if I ever want to upgrade I'll buy a better head knife...

We discussed that knife previously. Many other trades lay claim to it. If you shop around you can buy a good but cheaper one meant for another trade, such as carpet fitters or glaziers