Sign in to follow this  
aslfkjaslfkjasflkj

Pfaff 335 Max Thread size?

As I understand the 335 can take up to a t90 thread. Is it possible to get it to sew v138 / t135 thread?

Looking to sew heavy weight nylon and one thing I've noticed between machines is the Pfaff has a relatively small hole in the feed dog compared to heavier weight cylinder arm machines.

Yes it will handle #138 thread.  You have to enlarge the hole in the inner presser foot and the feed dog.  I sewed all day long with mine using #138 thread but had to make those modifications.  Plus, there is a small tab that holds the bobbin case in place.  These machines do not have a bobbin case opener like a vertical hook machine.  You have to round the square ends ever so slight on the end of  that little finger ever so slightly to allow the thread to pass at both the back and the front of that little finger. I  even touched the length of the finger ever so slightly with a dremel and drum sander attachment.  That whole procedure allow the thicker thread to pass by it better.

glenn 

Edited by shoepatcher
grammar

On 10/5/2022 at 3:15 PM, shoepatcher said:

Yes it will handle #138 thread.  You have to enlarge the hole in the inner presser foot and the feed dog.  I sewed all day long with mine using #138 thread but had to make those modifications.  Plus, there is a small tab that holds the bobbin case in place.  These machines do not have a bobbin case opener like a vertical hook machine.  You have to round the square ends ever so slight on the end of  that little finger ever so slightly to allow the thread to pass at both the back and the front of that little finger. I  even touched the length of the finger ever so slightly with a dremel and drum sander attachment.  That whole procedure allow the thicker thread to pass by it better.

glenn 

Thanks Glenn, thought that would be the case.

Its my understanding that a 335 class machine is pretty lightweight. I was going to get one as a dedicated binder machine. So probably not using above a tex 70 thread. How do they fair up when sewing over ~4mm - 6mm / 10oz - 16oz in terms of leather thickness?

maximum thickness is about 3/8" depending on what you are sewing.    not 3/8 veg tan leather mind you but it will sew thru some decent items.  We use the machine a lot in the manufacturing of hockey gear.

Is it a B, C or D class and is it an H2, 3 or 4.  The class tells you how heavy it can handle items.  The H is the lift of the presser foot.  H2 is 7mm. H3 11mm, H4 is 14mm.

glenn

On 10/7/2022 at 2:17 AM, shoepatcher said:

maximum thickness is about 3/8" depending on what you are sewing.    not 3/8 veg tan leather mind you but it will sew thru some decent items.  We use the machine a lot in the manufacturing of hockey gear.

Is it a B, C or D class and is it an H2, 3 or 4.  The class tells you how heavy it can handle items.  The H is the lift of the presser foot.  H2 is 7mm. H3 11mm, H4 is 14mm.

glenn

Not sure what class as its a clone, but the max foot lift is 14mm. So I'm assuming similar to a H4?

What kind of fabric are you sewing for this hockey gear? I sew 1000D nylon and I'm getting a heavier duty cylinder arm for normal sewing. Then was looking into a 335 clone for binding as my thoughts was I don't need a thicker thread just for sewing binding on. Also I have the option of going down in thread size for some lighter weight stuff. However I think I'm leaning towards getting 2 heavier cylinder arms, one for normal and one dedicated binder.

We use #138 and #92 for binding on most equipment.  I use only #138 on my binders which are Juki 1508 flatbed and Juki #1341.  Most using Pfaff 335 use #92.

glenn